General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Katt said:

A GP win is 400 pts but since they only counts 4 highest event, a win at NHK only give Yuzuru 148 pts. He would be above Shoma after GPF, as to be back at No1, it might be after WC 

--------

Hide contents

JPN media sometimes is the worst. Look at the way they praise russian ladies and look down on japanese ladies, theres a headline :" Russian ladies are untouchable, Japanese ladies bow down to them". You never see media use those words to Mao or Rika when they won. They would rather to promote Alina's dog than airing their skater's footages. 

Thank you for clarifying. :)

His world standing really isn't something to be worried about.

Spoiler

Japan media: 4 minutes of snipets from their Novice Chempionships; doesn't broadcast Skate Canada live even when Rika and Yuzuru Hanyu himself(!!) are there

also Japan media: :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:Rus Nats:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: US Nats:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: long documentary about Masaru:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

Japanese media has always loved rivalries. I'm sure there were rivalries even before Yuzu, but there was Yuzu vs Daisuke, Yuzu vs Tatsuki, Yuzu vs Javi, and so on. Of course it's now Yuzu vs Nathan. Another great example is WTT. Everyone goes there just for kicks and they have fun and fool around, but in Japan, the media is all about "Japan vs the World!!! Will they win?" and acting like it's an actual Team Championship.

On top of that, Japanese culture frowns upon praising one's own people. Many Japanese parents will praise other kids, but when it comes to their own, they'll majorly downplay them. I think that has started to change with new generations of parents who fall into the overprotective side, but I think largely, praising your own kid is too much like bragging and that's frowned upon. Humility is an essential part of Japanese culture and one we generally admire, but it does have this downside: on a large scale, Japanese athletes, musicians etc. will always be downplayed by Japanese media in comparison to their foreign counterparts.

That said, it's actually kind of amazing that Japanese media, for a while did accept the "Yuzuru Hanyu, absolute champion" narrative, though I suspect some people might have been shocked when Yuzu used the term himself. I can imagine that to some it might have felt uncomfortable, somewhat, so they might feel relieved that he now has a rival again.

I don't think that means they don't appreciate their athletes. They genuinely love and appreciate them, and if they triumph over their rivals, it's like it makes them even more successful. But beyond that, culturally, they need to keep it low.

Also, I don't know what media had that headline, but generally broadcasters do promote Rika vs whichever Russian Lady she's up against and such narratives, as well. Admittedly, less so for Satoko or Kaori, as Japanese media seems to have set their heart on Rika now. At least as far as I've seen.

That said, their priorities are weird at times, while at the same time, they enjoy the entertainment aspect. The whole Masaru stuff is fun and cute, so they go for it, because they know general audiences will like it, too. I have no real idea why they didn't broadcast Skate Canada live, though... That was really weird of TV Asahi

12 hours ago, Bilge said:

noticed they had one for Yuzuru's gold too through a link from another video but apperently it was taken down (i wonder why).

I watched that one - it was just a recap and there was nothing in it that should have gotten it taken down unless some copyright scam troll went after them. 

Well, they did make a bunch of silly Pooh jokes but I can't imagine that being the issue.

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

Japanese media has always loved rivalries. I'm sure there were rivalries even before Yuzu, but there was Yuzu vs Daisuke, Yuzu vs Tatsuki, Yuzu vs Javi, and so on. Of course it's now Yuzu vs Nathan. Another great example is WTT. Everyone goes there just for kicks and they have fun and fool around, but in Japan, the media is all about "Japan vs the World!!! Will they win?" and acting like it's an actual Team Championship.

On top of that, Japanese culture frowns upon praising one's own people. Many Japanese parents will praise other kids, but when it comes to their own, they'll majorly downplay them. I think that has started to change with new generations of parents who fall into the overprotective side, but I think largely, praising your own kid is too much like bragging and that's frowned upon. Humility is an essential part of Japanese culture and one we generally admire, but it does have this downside: on a large scale, Japanese athletes, musicians etc. will always be downplayed by Japanese media in comparison to their foreign counterparts.

That said, it's actually kind of amazing that Japanese media, for a while did accept the "Yuzuru Hanyu, absolute champion" narrative, though I suspect some people might have been shocked when Yuzu used the term himself. I can imagine that to some it might have felt uncomfortable, somewhat, so they might feel relieved that he now has a rival again.

I don't think that means they don't appreciate their athletes. They genuinely love and appreciate them, and if they triumph over their rivals, it's like it makes them even more successful. But beyond that, culturally, they need to keep it low.

Also, I don't know what media had that headline, but generally broadcasters do promote Rika vs whichever Russian Lady she's up against and such narratives, as well. Admittedly, less so for Satoko or Kaori, as Japanese media seems to have set their heart on Rika now. At least as far as I've seen.

That said, their priorities are weird at times, while at the same time, they enjoy the entertainment aspect. The whole Masaru stuff is fun and cute, so they go for it, because they know general audiences will like it, too. I have no real idea why they didn't broadcast Skate Canada live, though... That was really weird of TV Asahi

Spoiler

Here you go. I don't want to give them clicks, but title alone is bad enough.

3 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

"I'm first? I'm the first?" :cri:

He was such a baby in Sochi.:201111231756430f6:

6 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

Nam talks about skating after Yuzu at 0:54 c: 

"There's no really, like, negatives" Nice! 

I really love what Nam says here and I think it's a really healthy attitude... Basically it's 'I'll never be as good as him and I'm not going to get hung up on it, I'll just do my best' ... Nam respects Yuzu but isn't intimidated and that's a great way to be. 

2 hours ago, ICeleste said:

Warning: COC 14 footage

In this interview with Han Yan, he seems to be talking about the accident and Yuzuru. Can someone please translate it? There are JPN subtitles 

The gist of it:

There are some people who say that either I or Yuzuru did it on purpose. Those people have no understanding of figure skating...just putting our hands up already required fast reactions, it was too fast to do anything else. No one would have wanted this to happen. I'm happy that he was still able to compete. 

[other footage]

We have competed together since we were very young. He went up to seniors before me. He is someone I want to learn from and a target (to aspire to).

The reason why Asahi didn't air SCI live is simple. Singles events were held in early in the morning or around noon. It is opposite to prime time so they cannot sell the ad spots at a preferable price if they air it live. In a way, they are doing the exact opposite of what NBC does regarding the Olympics although they are both pursuing profits. Asahi aired CoC2014 live since men's events were held in the evening in Japan. They also aired TEB2013 live in the morning and it was before Yuzu became this famous...

As to the way Japanese media treat our athletes, most of them are just opportunists. Last year, after GPF, they were praising Rika as undefeated and showing Alina as who passed her prime. There are some reporters and sports journalists who are always supportive of any athletes, though. In many cases, they are former athletes.

15 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

As for Nathan, I was thinking how in Sochi Season 13/14 he chose 2 GP assignments idf and SC to compete with Patrick (he said so himself in an interview) so he could get used to competing him in Sochi.

Yuzu is the type to get fired up when his competitors are there.

Also I know he didn't say anything about small stadiums, but I couldn't recall him competing in stadiums the size of Mokdong after Sochi. (Except for ACI). 

Even if he is healthy he still might not go to 4CC because korea is far from Canada + other reasons etc. 

From what I've seen Yuzu only chooses to go to 4CC if it holds major benefits for him, rather than attending every year (like 2017 4cc because it was the olympic stadium etc). 

Just to clarify, but to compete in SCI and TEB in 2013 was not Yuzu's choice. When you finish in the top 6 at Worlds, you can request the competitions you want to take part in. However, it is the organizers who decide whether to invite you or not, and they often decline your requests. For example, Nathan requested NHK this year since it was convenient for him but NHK did not invite him since they wanted Yuzu. (Podium finishers at Worlds normally don't compete with each other in GPS until they qualified to GPF) In early 2013, Yuzu was injured and there were many strong men's singles skaters in Japan. Yuzu could not afford to choose 2 GPs with Patrick risking the chance to compete in GPF which was a qualifying event for Sochi. It is just Yuzu and his team accepted the assignment as an opportunity to learn and did their best.

As to the capacity of competition venues,I agree with others. He doesn't decide where to compete based on the venue's capacity. The arena in which NHK 2015 was held has only 5000 seats. Makomanai arena in which NHK 2019 will be held has about 6000 seats, although they will make some arena seats in addition to this.

5 hours ago, ICeleste said:

Warning: COC 14 footage

In this interview with Han Yan, he seems to be talking about the accident and Yuzuru. Can someone please translate it? There are JPN subtitles 

Based on what I understand, Hanee is saying that people who accuse him or Yuzu of deliberately causing the accident (at Coc) are wrong, and that they don’t understand how fs works. Both were going too fast at that time to prevent it. He says that seeing Yuzu be able to compete/stand on the rink is great (think this was record later that year) [clip of Sochi] he continues by saying that Yuzu was the first to turn senior, and that he’s always taken Yuzu as a role model and someone he looks up to.

Edit: @ happy_fish beat me to it