General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Hiya folks apologies for taking the topic  a few pages back but apparently a representative(?) from ISU forced Jordan (On Ice Perspective) to take down the gala practice videos he posted on instagram :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I just hope he can still post his videos (the full version of all the EX he recorded, not just Yuzu's) someplace else, seriously at this point ISU is really a bunch of dinosaurs... :knc_brian3:

he was there at Skate Canada's invitation as official press, so why? They're not asking TV Asahi to take down newsclips. 

oh, wait. Maybe they wanted him to pay some kind of licensing fee or something? I mean, I have no idea how these things work but if they were paying him to be there technically they could claim his footage is their property, not his. On the other hand, if he was simply invited as a freelancer and retains the rights to his work, but they have some kind of legal copyright over what gets filmed by official press at ISU competitions, ...ugh, anyway, I don't have enough knowledge to guess about it but this is really petty, it seems to me. 

7 hours ago, shanshani said:

I wonder what legal complaint there could possibly be, because I can't really think of any. It might be the ISU just threatening to deny him access to athletes

Can anyone mirror the original video in high quality?

This. I foolishly did not realize that you can download videos from twitter and so did not download. 

It was such a glorious moment, too! Yuzu was perfect. If ever you wanted a video to sell the non-FS world on figure skating, that would be the one. 

WTF, ISU. WTF. :crazyshit2:

Well, at least we know it happened, and the footage is still somewhere safe with Jordan. And we all got to see it, so there's that. 

59 minutes ago, mercedes said:

ISU workings is a mystery to me,Jordan does an amazing service to FS,his videos are the closest way to feel what the skaters feel and for someone like me it's truly beautiful.

anyhow

Hide contents

here it is,2 files because I 1st recorded it with bandycam and then some kind sould share it on you tube...you guys pick what you want:)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zXDhLJ5RopZ_iYAXVHvO9LZg7YmzZyPW?usp=sharing

Grazie!

I can only guess that maybe the videos didn’t have any ISU or Skate Canada trademark or permission to be shared in the first place, which is unfortunate since it was so cool. The other piece could be that he has received donations for his work and maybe they see that as monetizing his videos and maybe that isn’t allowed for an “unofficial” shared video. 

I'm also wondering if maybe, on top of being ok-ed by Skate Canada, he might need some sort of ISU accreditation that is different and he didn't get. (I wouldn't be surprised if he needed to pay to get that, either, since this is the ISU.) No idea, but I hope the thing he said he's working towards will be a snub in ISU's faces. (Yuzu or TCC should hire him as a personal cameraman, tbh :P You don't get better footage than that, Yuzu uses footage of his skating for studying and given how many popular skaters TCC has, it'd be a good deal for Jordan, too. Especially if it weren't an exclusive thing and they'd allow him to post footage now and then...)

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@Umebachi compared him to Yoshitsune. Either way...:hachimaki:

In my mind, Musashi is too rough of a model for Yuzu.  As I mentioned earlier, Yoshitsune is a more sophisticated and apt model:  Yoshitsune spent his childhood on the margins of the late Heian court (12th c), and later  escaped  to the north - to Hiraizumi (in Iwate, north of Sendai) where his education was completed under a famous Fujiwara lord.   Later he supported his older brother Yoritomo Minamoto and successfully led the Minamoto army to many victories over the Taira clan and helped establish the first military shogunate of Japan in Kamakura (Kanto).  Thus he is celebrated as one of the greatest military leader Japan has known (i.e. GOAT).  But he was tragically killed by his brother as he proved to be too much of a threat to the establishment of the shogunate.  In the process, Hiraizumi was also destroyed and the North was diminished as a power base and Tohoku never recovered the glory days of Hiraizumi under the northern Fujiwara clan. 

In his youth, Yoshitsune was known as Ushiwaka-maru -  who disguised himself as a beautiful woman to escape notice of the enemies while walking around Kyoto, but he called out by a fierce giant monk, Benkei, who espied a sword underneath his women's clothes and challenged him to a duel  - which became the legendary battle over Gojo Bridge. According to the legend, Ushiwaka-maru whirled and twirled (and jumped many quad axels) around the hulking mass of the monk and brought him crashing down on his knees.  Astonished, Benkei acknowledged Yoshitsune's superior skills and pledged eternal loyalty to this whisp of a boy who looked and dressed like a girl. So in Japanese folklore, Yoshitsune has become a symbol of beauty and strength personified, and conforms to the aesthetics of military brilliance encased in feminine form.  As a child,  I learned to sing the warabe-uta (folk song) celebrating Ushiwakamaru's exploits on Gojo bridge.  Perhaps equivalent to a King Arthur (pulling Excaliber from the stone), but with a totally different image of the idealized leader:  in my mind Yoshitsune symbolizes a brilliant marriage between the feminine sensitivities that invite utter devotion and protective instincts from the followers and sheer iron will, razor-sharp intellect and bloody-mindedness that drive them relentlessly toward success... remind you of anyone??

9 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Yoshitsune symbolizes a brilliant marriage between the feminine sensitivities that invite utter devotion and protective instincts from the followers and sheer iron will, razor-sharp intellect and bloody-mindedness that drive them relentlessly toward success... remind you of anyone??

Most definitely.

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Most definitely.

Here is the NHK Taiga drama series depiction of that battle between Ushiwakamaru and Benkei.  Start from 4:00 mark.   I prefer the older version of the drama (in black and white) from the 1960s but can't find that version on the net...

18 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Here is the NHK Taiga drama series depiction of that battle between Ushiwakamaru and Benkei.  Start from 4:00 mark.   I prefer the older version of the drama (in black and white) from the 1960s but can't find that version on the net...

If we make this comparison, one can't help but wonder who is the Benkei character in Yuzu's life. 

I don't know enough of Japanese history or literature to draw comparisons for Yuzu, but among Western references, I kind of come up short, mainly because to me, Yuzu seems to have a unique existence. He really isn't like anyone who's come before - he's just his superlative self. If I were forced to make a comparison, the people I'd be looking at are the real way out there visionary geniuses who let nothing stop them - the Edmund Hilarys  and Stephen Hawkings of the world. The ones who truly broke new ground to follow their visions and had the talent to make their vision possible. And those are few and far between. 

10 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:
8 hours ago, mercedes said:
  Hide contents

I downloaded it but how fair is to Jordan ?no  problem for me to share a gdrive but I don't want to hurt this guy who does an amazing work,neither I want to create problems to PH:mods and admins you tell me what to do :)

Thanks! I would have lost it forever.  I really have to be better about not procrastinating.  

7 hours ago, micaelis said:

OK, here's to clarify something.  When I talked about Yuzu going for a 4th men's gold I was speaking very hypothetically.  

I wasn't being serious either.  My comment was just a light hearted jest because we were talking about Plush as psychic.  there's still doubts about Beijing, I highly doubt that there'll be anything beyond that

9 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@Umebachi compared him to Yoshitsune. Either way...:hachimaki:

The reason I say that Yuzuru Hanyu is the Miyamoto Musashi of figure skating is not just because of his prowess in his art and his abilities as a tactician and strategist, but because of his absolute dedication to continually improving his art to the exclusion and sacrifice of everything else in his life.

I quoted @Sombreuil because of her description of Yuzuru as “this figure skating hermit pursuing his skating goals and his degree to the exclusion of everything else.”

Miyamoto Musashi was the same. He spent his entire life pursuing perfection as a swordsman forsaking everything else. He did not lead armies. His battles were one-to-one. As a swordsman, he is considered the greatest of all time – the GOAT. He was also a philosopher and has many famous sayings regarding overcoming obstacles and oneself similar to the intelligent thoughts and sayings of Yuzu.

The book “Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa translated into English is entertaining, interesting and informative. Once you start reading it, you cannot put it down. I have both the hardcover and Kindle versions. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.ca/Musashi-Epic-Novel-Samurai-Era/dp/156836427X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Miyamoto+Musashi&qid=1573111040&sr=8-1