General Yuzuru Chat

On 11/1/2019 at 2:23 AM, shanshani said:

Jnats (remember that competition and how Yuzu is technically supposed to attend it :P?) or 4CC would be my guess. Presumably he'd want to skate cleanly at GPF to beat Nathan/prevent Nate's scores from getting more inflated. Although if he did manage to land it, it would be a pretty big flex, haha. “Who's the quad king now?” :laughing:

A few months can be a lot. But who knows, maybe you're right, I suppose it did kind of look like Yuzu wanted to attempt 4A in ACI practice as well. It can't be in that bad of shape if he had any intention of doing that. Plus, by the time NHK rolls around it'll have been over two months since ACI. But this convo is giving me whiplash. One person is saying, no upgrade. Another is saying 4A :13877886:

I think Yuzu is waiting to see what the others are likely to bring to the table, and then he'll adjust his layout for maximum efficiency to win. Which may or may not require 4A. 

Tracy said something interesting about 4A during her SCI commentary. She said " you have to hit it perfectly" when referring to the feasibility of landing it.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, shanshani said:

“Who's the quad king now?” :laughing:

Nathan spoke about this in an interview with Meryl. He didn't sound very comfortable with being called the 'quad king' and said that Tim Goebel was a better fit (paraphrasing here). And he credited Yuzu (and a couple of others) with pushing the sport to where it is now while also pointing out that Jason still succeeds without a quad in competition (but  mentioned that he's seen Jason land one before so it's not like he can't do one). 

I think Yuzu has really set a great example of sportsmanship and now it's just not tolerable not to be a class act like he is. Nathan seems to follow in those footsteps really well. The two of them always have such nice things to say about others and a good balance of confidence and humility. 

10 minutes ago, memae said:

Nathan spoke about this in an interview with Meryl. He didn't sound very comfortable with being called the 'quad king' and said that Tim Goebel was a better fit (paraphrasing here). And he credited Yuzu (and a couple of others) with pushing the sport to where it is now while also pointing out that Jason still succeeds without a quad in competition (but  mentioned that he's seen Jason land one before so it's not like he can't do one). 

I think Yuzu has really set a great example of sportsmanship and now it's just not tolerable not to be a class act like he is. Nathan seems to follow in those footsteps really well. The two of them always have such nice things to say about others and a good balance of confidence and humility. 

Oh, sure, Nathan seems like a cool dude, warring over these unofficial fan titles is just a bit of fun :P I'm not attributing to Yuzu any actual desire to gloat over his victory, it was just an amusing mental image 

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

Oh, sure, Nathan seems like a cool dude, warring over these unofficial fan titles is just a bit of fun :P I'm not attributing to Yuzu any actual desire to gloat over his victory, it was just an amusing mental image 

Oh, I didn't at all mean to insinuate that you weren't just being tongue-in-cheek. Sorry if my response came across as though I thought otherwise. 

I just find it interesting that so much of the skating world keeps trying to make Nathan out to be something he doesn't seem comfortable being seen as. Like, obviously he knows he's a great skater and he puts in the hours and effort to get there, but he also knows that there's more to being where he is today than just that and he doesn't seem comfortable with being credited for success that doesn't exist in a vacuum. That is to say, he probably wouldn't be capable of landing the 5 quads he has if others hadn't done them first or if it wasn't necessary because of what it takes to beat Yuzuru at the numbers game. And he acknowledges that but then you get the likes of Johnny and Tara calling him the Quad King every breath they take as though he invented them. 

48 minutes ago, Bilge said:

How can a skater say that?

Technically, she's not wrong. We know judges are inconsistent and that's one of the issues (it happens in other sports, too, for example, stewards' inconsistency is a big topic fans complain about regularly in Formula 1). I'd like to think her "Unfortunately" means she agrees this is not how it should be, but she probably gave up on thinking it might ever change.

That said, I know that account also made a comparison between Kevin's 4T and Yuzu's at ACI, IIRC, which was the same competition but different calls, so it'd be interesting to see what she'd have to say about that.

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

Technically, she's not wrong. We know judges are inconsistent and that's one of the issues (it happens in other sports, too, for example, stewards' inconsistency is a big topic fans complain about regularly in Formula 1). I'd like to think her "Unfortunately" means she agrees this is not how it should be, but she probably gave up on thinking it might ever change.

That said, I know that account also made a comparison between Kevin's 4T and Yuzu's at ACI, IIRC, which was the same competition but different calls, so it'd be interesting to see what she'd have to say about that.

It’s not just the GOE, nathan’s didn’t considered as a fall and did not get a -1 while aliev did. I mean one can say “goe is subjective” (which some skaters also did) but should not to an extant to can’t identify a fall like that idk if i’m being too picky