General Yuzuru Chat

Hello everyone,

It's my first time writing here. I've been following this forum for a while, mostly for the amount of information it provides about Yuzu and competitions, but also for the nice community feeling that it gives. I've been watching FS for a long time now (it was Candeloro and later Yagudin who made me truly fall in love with the sport) and I've been watching Yuzu since 2012 WC when I first saw him skate Etude in that breathtaking blue costume with spins that reminded me of Lambiel (I think it's a given that his spins are impressive).

I want to thank you all for all the nice things you say about Yuzu and for showing your support for him, as I don't have friends or colleagues who are fans of figure skating, therefore I don't have people to talk to about this, so mostly I was reading this forum and twitter. I finally got the courage to write something and I want my first message to express my gratitude to this community for being here for us lonely fans. It was really amazing knowing others also stayed up in the middle of the night to watch Yuzu skate at SCI, it shows how great he is at bringing people together. 

I was really inspired after the competitions this season to make an effort (mostly financially) to go see Yuzu skate live and I'm thinking of going to the GPF (need to still find tickets) as it's the only one in Europe and thus closest to me. All of this is because I see the joy on his fans' faces when they see him skate live.

Thank you all so much!

15 minutes ago, vd_turnan said:

Hello everyone,

It's my first time writing here. I've been following this forum for a while, mostly for the amount of information it provides about Yuzu and competitions, but also for the nice community feeling that it gives. I've been watching FS for a long time now (it was Candeloro and later Yagudin who made me truly fall in love with the sport) and I've been watching Yuzu since 2012 WC when I first saw him skate Etude in that breathtaking blue costume with spins that reminded me of Lambiel (I think it's a given that his spins are impressive).

I want to thank you all for all the nice things you say about Yuzu and for showing your support for him, as I don't have friends or colleagues who are fans of figure skating, therefore I don't have people to talk to about this, so mostly I was reading this forum and twitter. I finally got the courage to write something and I want my first message to express my gratitude to this community for being here for us lonely fans. It was really amazing knowing others also stayed up in the middle of the night to watch Yuzu skate at SCI, it shows how great he is at bringing people together. 

I was really inspired after the competitions this season to make an effort (mostly financially) to go see Yuzu skate live and I'm thinking of going to the GPF (need to still find tickets) as it's the only one in Europe and thus closest to me. All of this is because I see the joy on his fans' faces when they see him skate live.

Thank you all so much!

Welcome to the Planet! :grouphug:

I feel the same. I don't know many people, who are into figure skating and like to talk about Yuzu. The Planet is a great place to find soulmates and enjoy his performances together :dancingpooh:

1 hour ago, vd_turnan said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much!

Welcome! It's nice to see the number of Romanian Yuzu fans on the planet increase, too :knc_yuzu2:

I don't really have any friends or colleagues who are fans, but I do sometimes show my colleagues impressive videos. Like I showed them the squat loop and the crazy hydroblade and they were pretty impressed lol

If you get the chance, do go see him. You won't regret it, but you'll definitely want to do it again. And you will end up making friends lol. I'm far from social but I ended up making a lot of friends going to competitions and it's really great!

I loved SCI so much that I now kind of want to be crazy and try to go to GPF at least for the free and gala... it's too bad there are no good direct flights for a quick weekend trip... The only option I found was leaving on Friday evening, arriving at night - definitely not ideal in a brand new city - and leaving on Monday morning... But yes, I'm considering it... crazily enough...

ETA: Oh and I posted a comment to the Olympic Channel on twitter, wondering if maybe they have video of his earlier comments on the judging issue (I didn't put it that way). It's very possible they do, in which case, if they released them, it'd be much harder for the Western media to ignore them... As it is, with them covered only by Japanese media, they'll probably end up ignored...

8 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Welcome! It's nice to see the number of Romanian Yuzu fans on the planet increase, too :knc_yuzu2:

I don't really have any friends or colleagues who are fans, but I do sometimes show my colleagues impressive videos. Like I showed them the squat loop and the crazy hydroblade and they were pretty impressed lol

If you get the chance, do go see him. You won't regret it, but you'll definitely want to do it again. And you will end up making friends lol. I'm far from social but I ended up making a lot of friends going to competitions and it's really great!

I loved SCI so much that I now kind of want to be crazy and try to go to GPF at least for the free and gala... it's too bad there are no good direct flights for a quick weekend trip... The only option I found was leaving on Friday evening, arriving at night - definitely not ideal in a brand new city - and leaving on Monday morning... But yes, I'm considering it... crazily enough...

ETA: Oh and I posted a comment to the Olympic Channel on twitter, wondering if maybe they have video of his earlier comments on the judging issue (I didn't put it that way). It's very possible they do, in which case, if they released them, it'd be much harder for the Western media to ignore them... As it is, with them covered only by Japanese media, they'll probably end up ignored...

Thank you very much! I'm thinking of going to the whole competition, in the idea that maybe I won't be able to do it again. There's no direct flight from my town to Torino, so probably taking the bus and train from Milano is the best option.

Also, I envy you (in a very positive way) for being able to go to so many competitions and FaOI.

21 hours ago, TallyT said:

This. I shouldn't be surprised if they've approached him, but he only takes a few endorsement deals; as it is, he certainly rakes in more than anyone else in the sport by a mile and he's proven by his donations etc that wealth is not a priority.

I was also thinking about how for athletes, taking on a commercial endorsement from a big sportswear brand like Nike, Puma, Adidas, Under Armor may be more about "status" than money. It's the biggest promotion for athletes to the general public outside of their usual fan base. I never knew some athletes until I walked into Adidas or Nike or Puma stores and saw their posters and their name underneath them, and sometimes casually ended up googling them later to find out they are athletes who are spokesperson for the brand (even if it was short term, it leaves a lasting impression).

And from what I saw, Nike's global official instagram account also posts Evgenia Medvedeva's videos on their instagram (even though I thought Zhenya only modeled exclusively for Nike Russia, not Nike global). So, even becoming a model for Nike just in Russia brings huge spotlight and access to casual international viewers who might just be fans of Nike Sportswear (who weren't previously interested in figure skating). 

But putting aside all these points, I think there may be another reason Yuzu refused sportswear commercials. And it has to do with Mizuno (Japanese Sportswear that Yuzu wears to comps). 

I don't know if the big brands like Nike approached him, and we will never know, but maybe he is already representing Mizuno with his national jumper, and maybe Mizuno made contracts with Team Japan for none of them to represent other sportswear brands?

I don't know if other country athletes do this, but in soccer, it sometimes happens. Nike sometimes makes a team uniform for a country, and the soccer player in that team mostly ends up modelling for Nike outside their national team wear.

So maybe Mizuno might have put a stop on Yuzu from getting commercial deals from Under Armor or Nike. Who knows? But this is just a guess. 

2 hours ago, vd_turnan said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much!

Hello, fellow Romanian satellite, and welcome to the loveliest fs and Yuzuru s fandom in the world! 

2 hours ago, vd_turnan said:

Hello everyone,

Great taste. I love Yuzu's spins in Etude too. It's one of the best Yuzu's programs (and best costumes too) yet so underrated. I hope he brings it back in one of the gala this season, given he just did PW :embSwan:

6 hours ago, vd_turnan said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much!

welcome here and great 1st post:cheer:

8 hours ago, vd_turnan said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much!

Welcome to the best place to talk about Yuzu, it’s really a safe haven here.:grouphug:

Where do I put this? A Russian fan is translating Russian commentary (it is Yagudin and Golovanov) for SP! 
So, I remember a Yagudin fan is talking on tumblr about well and kinda shading Yuzuru a little bit for his style and his idolization of Plushenko.
And that tumblr person also bad-talked about Shirota, about how she did not pay her due for her crimes etc., and it seems the dislike for Yuzuru is just by his association with Shirota.

But, then last year we found out that Yagudin actually has all good things to say about Yuzuru (God of Figure Skating, etc) and I couldn't help but laugh about it.

It is always funny when some people's pretentiousness bite them back on the ass.

https://twitter.com/IrinaMastyaeva/status/1189313288561188869?s=20

How do I embed twitter post here? TT