General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I believe Yuzu doesn't accept any offers of sponsorship unless he agrees with the company's concept or finds they have some sort of connection with the things he values or uses. I don't think Yuzu is willing to get more sponsorship if that means he has to sacrifice a lot of his time for fulfilling sponsor's requirement while he's still competing. 

This. I shouldn't be surprised if they've approached him, but he only takes a few endorsement deals; as it is, he certainly rakes in more than anyone else in the sport by a mile and he's proven by his donations etc that wealth is not a priority.

Lol, "what are they trying to achieve"? And how should they react after Yuzu skates like that?

Yuzuru sometimes just makes it impossible not to sing him praises. Only that.

It's also annoying for me like every reaction, even a positive one, is considered to be somehow against Yuzu, because "they definitely are plotting something by admiting he's the best" (not actually quoting someone, just the general absurd feeling I sometimes get from comments)

Zakaryan was interviewed about his “innovation of the gala” - it can be found here. https://rsport.ria.ru/20191028/1560262138.html

the quote concerning Yuzu is this

Spoiler

Очень опасная ситуация, как бы странно это ни прозвучало, складывается в Японии. И мне как бизнесмену очень хочется, чтобы Юдзуру Ханю катался максимально долго. 

- Боюсь, что не совсем понимаю вашу мысль. Не станете же вы утверждать, что японское фигурное катание клином сходится на одном Ханю?

- Я просто приведу пример. Когда Юдзуру прилетает в Россию на этап Гран-при, по моим данным, около пяти тысяч японских фанатов прилетают следом за ним из Японии. Хотя мне говорили, что это даже несколько заниженная цифра. Эти люди бронируют отели, покупают билеты, нанимают за свои деньги переводчиков на почасовую оплату… Никакой другой японский спортсмен такой коммерческой популярностью у болельщиков не пользуется и никогда не пользовался. Даже Мао Асада. Это, собственно, и есть ответ на вопрос, который вы мне сейчас задали. Поэтому очень желаю Юдзуру Ханю здоровья и процветания. На это молятся все шоу-менеджеры миры. На Ханю и на Японию.

Translated shortly: he thinks figure skating in Japan might get less popular, so he want Yuzuru Hanyu to stay in the sport as long as possible. When Yuzu get Rostelecom Cup GP, around 5000 Japanese (sic) fans come after him - though that figure might be even bigger. They book hotels, buy tickets, hire interpreters... No other Japanese athlete has and has ever had the same commercial popularity with fans. Not even Mao Asada. That’s why he wants Yuzu to stay healthy and prospering. He’s worshipped by all show managers of the world, him and Japan

1 minute ago, alwaysafan said:

If we want to be truly cynical... they may be building Yuzuru's status up so that, if Nathan wins at Worlds, then the public will hail him as the greatest; the one who beat the Master, not a 30% Yuzuru coming back from a serious injury. Maybe my suspicious is too twisty? :gaah:

Spoiler

That was pretty much my thought too. 

They want Nathan to have a title without an asterisk next to it.

Just now, madraykin said:
  Hide contents

That was pretty much my thought too. 

They want Nathan to have a title without an asterisk next to it.

Sadly, this might be it. They want Nathan to destroy the Idol to become the new one. Otherwise, people will still be talking about Yuzu no matter what the achievements of his rival will be.

2 minutes ago, alwaysafan said:

Sadly, this might be it. They want Nathan to destroy the Idol to become the new one. Otherwise, people will still be talking about Yuzu no matter what the achievements of his rival will be.

and what should they say after those performance to not sound suspicious to you? sigh, seriously...

btw, not every little thing is a conspiracy against Yuzu and a plot for his main rival to win.

1 hour ago, airi said:

and what should they say after those performance to not sound suspicious to you? sigh, seriously...

btw, not every little thing is a conspiracy against Yuzu and a plot for his main rival to win.

ISU changed the rules partly because of the impact of Yuzuru's skating. There are some things that are quite transparent to me, but everybody is entitled to their own opinion on the matter.

1 hour ago, madraykin said:

Slightly ranty with a touch of :salty:

Hide contents

Is anyone else finding this sudden change of media narrative (excluding that NBC piece) slightly odd?

You know, Tara and Johnny being all gushy, and Johnny bring back the whole "Yuzuru told me this summer" thing when he was super quiet and even slightly dismissive at times last year?

TSL similarly being gushy.

Phil Hersh with his whole, "Nathan might need to think about doing 6 quads to beat Hanyu" (Here if anyone missed it).

The official ISU twitter and Instagram posting the picture with the goat emoji.

Ted coming out openly saying that Yuzu is the best <- though this one is perhaps slightly less because Ted generally tries not to answer those questions rather than playing to the US/ISU media line, and he was working for Skate Canada rather than the ISU this weekend.

It makes me very suspicious  - what are they trying to achieve?

I thought the same gushing happened last year, right up until the CoR FS. People have memory of a goldfish, and the news want to jump on the bandwagon to feed that narrative, so people can read them and feel good that they're agreeing with everyone. 

I only trust Ted atm. He's sincerely nice to everyone. He encourages the junior skaters when they don't have a good day, and sees the good in everything. 

The rest had a history of ditching and stomping on Yuzu at first sign of failure. TSL criticised his costume for being girly, called H&L "empty and have no transitions", Dave shat on him every opportunity he could, constantly belittled him and gushed over his rivals, tried to bait people into talking Yuzu down (which he got praises instead and he looked furious). They're literally the last person I'd trust on anything. Their entire reason for existing is to feed drama and gossip (like one day they decided to post on twitter that Alina is named after Putin's mistress), they make nasty comments at people's weight, mental health and anorexia (like dissing Gabrielle's instagram for being attention seeking), spread lies about skaters by claiming injured skaters are faking their injuries, and tell bigoted people what they want to hear by trashing ugly skaters. Biggest bully I've ever seen. 

Phil Hersh had very harsh comments in the past about Yuzu too. Johnny... was controversial, idk whether he just don't think things through before saying them or something, he was dropped from Yuzu's list of "people I respected" for a while when talking to interviews. ISU is a bit neutral, they just woke up from a dream when they realised Olympics and Laureus Awards were getting a lot of love for giving Yuzu content. 

The history of these media outlets when Yuzu was down tells a lot about their character, whether they're just attention seeking or sincere in their praises. Look into these if you're unsure. 

Or maybe they are realising that Nathan and Vincent Zhou (and even, sad to say, Shoma at the minute) will not and cannot life the sport and get the fans/attendance/money, especially when they look at the Russian girls making a bigger splash worldwide.  And if they keep taking their biggest star/embodiment of what they keep saying the sport should be for granted... they may lose him.

2 minutes ago, alwaysafan said:

ISU changed the rules partly because of the impact of Yururu's skating. There are some things that are quite transparent to me, but everybody is entitled to their own opinion on the matter.

but you didn't answer me. what should they say?

1 hour ago, madraykin said:

Slightly ranty with a touch of :salty:

Hide contents

Is anyone else finding this sudden change of media narrative (excluding that NBC piece) slightly odd?

You know, Tara and Johnny being all gushy, and Johnny bring back the whole "Yuzuru told me this summer" thing when he was super quiet and even slightly dismissive at times last year?

TSL similarly being gushy.

Phil Hersh with his whole, "Nathan might need to think about doing 6 quads to beat Hanyu" (Here if anyone missed it).

The official ISU twitter and Instagram posting the picture with the goat emoji.

Ted coming out openly saying that Yuzu is the best <- though this one is perhaps slightly less because Ted generally tries not to answer those questions rather than playing to the US/ISU media line, and he was working for Skate Canada rather than the ISU this weekend.

It makes me very suspicious  - what are they trying to achieve?

While it's not fair to judge people intentions I get the feeling  they are riding the victor carriage of course ....not them all of course but some probably.But since there's no way for us to know if this are sincere praise i'll take them at face value that they are and appreciate them.

10 minutes ago, Fay said:

LOL I love this...so true LOL

Mr Zakaryan I praise your honesty...it's business for people like him of course and not hiding it it's refreshing...I may find it a little bit dry but honest non the less.

6 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Or maybe they are realising that Nathan and Vincent Zhou (and even, sad to say, Shoma at the minute) will not and cannot life the sport and get the fans/attendance/money, especially when they look at the Russian girls making a bigger splash worldwide.  And if they keep taking their biggest star/embodiment of what they keep saying the sport should be for granted... they may lose him.

Yeah, the quote that @Fay posted from Zakaryan does make it seem like he may have got the ISU to actually face that.

I would like to clarify that's for me it's less about what they're actually saying and more about the abrupt change in direction with no acknowledgement of the change - last week Nathan was amazing, his skating skills were great, he was having no problems combining skating and school and Yuzu was in trouble. Now Yuzu is amazing, Nathan's jumps and skating skills aren't as good as Yuzu and maybe Nathan is in trouble, but with no mention that they were wrong last week.