General Yuzuru Chat

Wow 3 pages since I went to bed, all on how awful that costume is :1: Personally, I'll pretend it does not exist (at least until I get my chocolates and I'll have to deal with the pink version on one of the packages...).:nod2:

3 hours ago, ICeleste said:

(I'm quoting OP's spoilers about the recently released DVD). You know what would be even more amazing? A biopic about him... as long as the film is done tactfully, respectfully and with his consent; it has the potential to be great.

I'm bringing this up since I saw that Yuzuru is the third most popular figure skater on Wikipedia. The first and second place belong to Tonya -whose page has twice as much views as him- and Nancy Kerrigan. I think it's a shame that the most well-known figure skater is someone mainly known for her lack of sportsmanship...

I feel extremely lucky to know Yuzuru and to have followed his journey. I never thought I'd become a fan of this sport, but his skating has brought me so much joy. Which is why I'm sad that many people still don't know him and aren't aware of what they're missing out on.

I wish he could become the most well-known person (among the general public) in his sport at least... I feel he's one of the most incredible athletes in the world... Wouldn't it be great to tell his story on the big screen? I mean... winning the 1000th OGM after all the hardship, doubts and pain he went through? That's beyond inspiring

I think Yuzu's story would deserve a TV series, because there's just so much to include. But I'd still prefer it to be documentary style. He's been followed by cameras since he was 10 and I'm sure he has tons of private footage as well, with his team (probably) always filming his practices so he can check them afterwards, so there's no way they wouldn't have enough footage to make a documentary series. Movies tend to get too overdramatic and the differences between whomever they would choose to play him and the real him would be grating, plus stories almost always end up at least slightly fictionalized when turned into movies. Even documentary movies tend to become slightly overdramatic and can at times not include as much info as one would like. I'm writing this with the X Japan documentary movie, "We are X" in mind. It's actually a really cool documentary and a great quick glimpse into the world and drama of X Japan and I can see why it won an award at the Sundance Film Festival, but there was a lot of stuff that did not get included and aside from Yoshiki and Toshi and some mentions of hide and Taiji, the other members only appear very marginally, and it definitely leaned towards the melodrama, but then again X IS drama, so.... But the bottom line was that the documentary was too short to include all info it should have. Still, seeing something like that about Yuzu would be really great, IMO. If the director weren't focused on music documentaries, I'd even be tempted to write to him, now that I thought of it lol Btw, the director is American, so the result would get attention in the West. (I do recommend the movie to anyone who wants to know more about X, even though they don't mention Toshi's story as much).

This blue costume (and the pink robe and the white/ gold frilly jumpsuit thing) kind of remind me of how the Japanese imperial family is dressed - undoubtedly using high quality fabric and technique, but with designs that to me seem so...old fashioned. Like they are the dream fashions of someone who grew up in the 1950s who still thinks this is how “fancy people” should dress. (In Yuzu’s case, someone who grew up on the 1970s and liked Liberace. )

2 hours ago, Maleko said:

Wow Xylitol really hates Yuzu I never forgive them for this:yuck: :

Hide contents

img_8404.jpg

Okay, that thing is terrible. But I am sorry... he looks beautiful! 

tumblr_p9gy4k1r3r1tasw9po3_1280.pngtumblr_p9gy4k1r3r1tasw9po1_640.png

source

Dory? Beautiful! I love Dory! It has some shape. I know, those wings.... but come on, it is beautiful!

But this monstrosity? NOOOOO! That is unfair! What is it supposed to be? IT has no shape. Where is The Waist? What about those shoulders?

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Maleko said:

Wow Xylitol really hates Yuzu I never forgive them for this:yuck: :

Reveal hidden contents

img_8404.jpg

At least his face looks beautiful, natural and normal in these pics. And this costume isn't even that bad compared to the old pink and blue-green monstrosities. Without the frills, it would actually be a quite nice, form-fitting costume. :nod2:

17 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

At least his face looks beautiful, natural and normal in these pics. And this costume isn't even that bad compared to the old pink and blue-green monstrosities. Without the frills, it would actually be a quite nice, form-fitting costume. :nod2:

And he is at least smiling. In blue-green monstrosity his face is more like "please hurry with the photo, I want out of that thing" kind of smile.

7 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

This blue costume (and the pink robe and the white/ gold frilly jumpsuit thing) kind of remind me of how the Japanese imperial family is dressed - undoubtedly using high quality fabric and technique, but with designs that to me seem so...old fashioned. Like they are the dream fashions of someone who grew up in the 1950s who still thinks this is how “fancy people” should dress. (In Yuzu’s case, someone who grew up on the 1970s and liked Liberace. )

Wow The Japanese fashion always surprise me for its imagination. When I watch some videos of Japanese television shows, the artists, skaters, hosts, presentators...always dressed in such crazy manner we don't see in others countries.

But for a photo for commercials, how can they think to put a person so beautiful in such monstrosity ?

But the person himself, in this case Yuzuru with his good taste and elegance, or his mother, can not tell the photograph the costume is so ugly he does not want to put on?

For me it looks like a nightmare, the costume, the photo, the makeup, the face, the body, the lighting, everything.

They can make a beautiful person looks ugly. 

13 minutes ago, mokjakarma said:

Questions is, did Yuzu actually put that costume on or is photoshopped? :xD:

If he did, I can't even imagine what did Lotte need to promise to get him into this thing. Did they send like half of the value of Japan to a charity? :notamused:

2 hours ago, mokjakarma said:

Questions is, did Yuzu actually put that costume on or is photoshopped?

It looks like a photomanip to me.  Notice how the placement of the head seems to have little real relation to the neck supporting it.  Also, Yuzu's neck seems even more like a Modigliani neck than normal.  It's almost like Yuzu's added a couple more neck vertebrae.  

Okay. Yuzu's German Wiki article updated. Suggestion for a new forum banner submitted (I hope, you like it :67638860:). I've been a productive fanyu today.  :winky:

Footnote: Over the last few years I wrote ca. 80% of Yuzu's German Wiki entry including all sections since the 16/17 season, tables, references and layout boxes (gosh, they were really tricky to edit). However, there's still a loooot of work to do... Especially the sections about his early career and first senior seasons are... :13877886:

Whenever there's time, I will re-write and add new sections (including the current season). Yuzu deserves a great article. :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

On the advertising costumes: Basically they just want him something that looks like a figure skating costume without wanting to wait or fork out the money for it to be made to truly look like one that he'd wear. They look like figure skating costumes worn by actors in made-for-TV figure skating movies.  Even if they did and used cheap fabrics and cut corners on the details (no need to do the sequins and sparkles one-by-one to make sure they don't fall on the ice, no need for lightweight high-performance fabrics) they'd still look odd because the heavier fabrics and more cut-and-paste kind of designs and details would be noticeable compared to the Satomi masterpieces we're used to seeing him in. They should just stop trying to remind everyone that he's a figure skater by putting him in costumes of costumes. If you know who he is, you don't need the figure skating reference in what he's wearing. If you don't know who he is, the tacky frills and badly fitted fake costumes aren't going to help. He's handsome enough to sell anything without needing to be a double Olympic gold medalist. They can always just put that in a caption anyway and let him keep his dignity. 

He must have the most astounding level of patience and humour to let them dress him in such awful outfits.