General Yuzuru Chat

I love this place because people here really care about Yuzu and can talk about what we should do as fans in a sensible and constructive way. I just wanted to share a tweet.

This fan says (I translated as word-by-word as possible):

Hanyu-san said his fans let him concentrate on his competitions, but “I receive a lot of cheering to the point I think it might disturb other skaters” means his concentration broke there. I want to root for him in a way that he doesn’t need to worry about his fans’ behaviors or apologize for them. Even more so if we wish his 4A dream come true.

As you can see this tweet got a lot of likes even though the person doesn’t have many followers. Bottom line is that many fans are trying to control themselves for the sake of Yuzu, NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE. I personally don’t care much about how other skaters feel (sorry!) and how badly-behaved other skaters’ fans are, and I couldn’t care less if they harm their favorite’s reputations. As Murieleirum pointed out, Japanese people tend to take responsibility in a larger scale. Yuzu seems to care and worry about people around him, including his fans, a lot more than the average Japanese like myself. I sometimes get the urge to yell at him, “Don’t give it a damn, idiot! Just think about yourself!” But I guess that’s how he is and probably a reason why we love him so much. We can’t control the other side, and Yuzu can handle other fans’ cheering. Remember the time when he shut them down with a 3A when Javi fans kept cheering before Yuzu’s performance at Barcelona? And how animatedly he talked about it? But then, he hushed his fans when they did it. So I hope we can be sensibly creative and root for him in a positive and charming way. Make him proud of his fans.

Re: Throwing gift onto the ice
AFAIK it is forbidden only at Nationals. You can throw Pooh at NHK Trophy, only from the arena, though. I personally miss large banners hung on the walls since there are many beautiful ones and I enjoyed seeing it during intermissions. I don't know why JFS decided to forbid large banners and throwing gifts, but as some of you said, we can always find other ways to show support. 

My random thoughts on cheering:
I rarely scream because I am not young and my voice gets very loud when I scream and often surprises people around me. Besides, at a competition where Yuzu is competing, I am busy praying.  But I don't find most of natural kyaaa, wow! aww! I hear in the venue annoying. I was there when he revealed the purple LGC costume and it was fun. He also said that he enjoyed the audience's reaction at that time. (So he is hearing, seeing what is happening around him during the competition, I think.)

However, I get very nervous when someone's screaming while a skater is going into a jump, or about to start their performance. After all, figure skating is dangerous sports even if it sometimes looks like a show. It's a very traumatic experience to see someone gets injured in front of you even if they are not your most favorite skater. I am kind of always looking for a way to let all the skaters stay focused and relaxed while sending biggest support to Yuzu.

2 hours ago, Lily* said:

I love this place because people here really care about Yuzu and can talk about what we should do as fans in a sensible and constructive way. I just wanted to share a tweet.

This fan says (I translated as word-by-word as possible):

Hanyu-san said his fans let him concentrate on his competitions, but “I receive a lot of cheering to the point I think it might disturb other skaters” means his concentration broke there. I want to root for him in a way that he doesn’t need to worry about his fans’ behaviors or apologize for them. Even more so if we wish his 4A dream come true.

As you can see this tweet got a lot of likes even though the person doesn’t have many followers. Bottom line is that many fans are trying to control themselves for the sake of Yuzu, NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE. I personally don’t care much about how other skaters feel (sorry!) and how badly-behaved other skaters’ fans are, and I couldn’t care less if they harm their favorite’s reputations. As Murieleirum pointed out, Japanese people tend to take responsibility in a larger scale. Yuzu seems to care and worry about people around him, including his fans, a lot more than the average Japanese like myself. I sometimes get the urge to yell at him, “Don’t give it a damn, idiot! Just think about yourself!” But I guess that’s how he is and probably a reason why we love him so much. We can’t control the other side, and Yuzu can handle other fans’ cheering. Remember the time when he shut them down with a 3A when Javi fans kept cheering before Yuzu’s performance at Barcelona? And how animatedly he talked about it? But then, he hushed his fans when they did it. So I hope we can be sensibly creative and root for him in a positive and charming way. Make him proud of his fans.

👏👏👏

I think Yuzu would be happy if we cheered for all skaters. He loves the sport as a whole and I think moments like ACI, where the crowd lovingly cheered for all skaters - even if a bit more loudly for some of them; personally, I was surrounded by Yuzu fans, so I don't know how other skaters' fans acted, but all the Yuzu fans around me cheered for all skaters, especially in the Men's Free - probably make him happy and perhaps even proud of his fans. I thought, from that POV that ACI was beautiful and I think, for all that other skaters' fans accuse Yuzu fans of only caring about Yuzu, displays like that, where a crowd made up of a majority of Yuzu fans, cheered for all skaters, are a good answer to them. Even if they'll happily ignore it. We just have to make sure all the cheering is respectful and as minimally disruptive as possible

3 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Anybody knows why there is a new wave of "rabbit rabbit white rabbit" for Yuzu on Twitter? Is it linked to smth in particular? (What did I miss? :scratch3:)

It keeps happening once a month, on the 1st, I gather. :) no idea why. 

6 minutes ago, Fay said:

It keeps happening once a month, on the 1st, I gather. :) no idea why. 

2 minutes ago, wildstrawberry said:

it happens on the first day of every month from what i've seen,it's a tradition for having/wishing good luck

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/01/us/rabbit-rabbit-first-day-of-the-month-good-luck-trnd/index.html

Thank you for the explanation. :20111123175648e45: I hadn't realized it happened every 1st day of the month. Interesting. 

34 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Anybody knows why there is a new wave of "rabbit rabbit white rabbit" for Yuzu on Twitter? Is it linked to smth in particular? (What did I miss? :scratch3:)

"Rabbit rabbit rabbit" is a superstition found in Britain and North America wherein a person says or repeats the words "rabbit", "rabbits" and/or "white rabbits" aloud upon waking on the first day of a month, to ensure good luck for the rest of it - from Wikipedia

lol Just a superstition. My TL was full of it this morning, too!

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Did rabbit actually come back? There was a lot of talk about rabbity streamy things coming up...

I think it's actually coming up with another name? (...forgot the exact name though 😫)

...also with the rabbit rabbit white rabbit thing, I just think that (we) fans just wish him the best health no matter what...:smiley-angelic001: