General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

:offtopic2:Maybe, maybe not.

This Newsweek article may be explaining why figure skating is so popular in Japan, even though it refers to figure skating as just "In Japan, the media elevates male ballet stars (and their sporty cousins: male figure skaters) as role models."

https://theconversation.com/boys-dance-too-and-in-japan-they-are-celebrated-122533

Japanese version:

https://www.newsweekjapan.jp/nippon/season2/2019/09/248235_1.php

Although I sometimes find a nuance of stereotype viewing or prejudice against Japan in Newsweek articles, this article is the one that has tickled my little pride :laughing:

It may be true that Japanese just love BEAUTY regardless of gender things, perhaps owing to national traditional art like Kabuki, Noh, or Takarazuka Revue.

Also, I have to admit that we have a sort of patronage tendency in nature, and like to find promising talents and support them since their youth, for example, in Kabuki, Takarazuka, and even Sumo.

Anyway, figure skating is the sport that stimulates our enthusiastic mind with its discipline and art including costumes, music, performance, etc. and thank God, now we have Yuzuru Hanyu, just like Tetsuya Kumakawa in ballet.  Nothing can stop us from loving him now :happy0007:

Could Japan's influence in this regard be spreading? https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/canadas-national-ballet-schools-graduating-class-1.5288565

4 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

:offtopic2:Maybe, maybe not.

This Newsweek article may be explaining why figure skating is so popular in Japan, even though it refers to figure skating as just "In Japan, the media elevates male ballet stars (and their sporty cousins: male figure skaters) as role models."

https://theconversation.com/boys-dance-too-and-in-japan-they-are-celebrated-122533

Japanese version:

https://www.newsweekjapan.jp/nippon/season2/2019/09/248235_1.php

Although I sometimes find a nuance of stereotype viewing or prejudice against Japan in Newsweek articles, this article is the one that has tickled my little pride :laughing:

It may be true that Japanese just love BEAUTY regardless of gender things, perhaps owing to national traditional art like Kabuki, Noh, or Takarazuka Revue.

Also, I have to admit that we have a sort of patronage tendency in nature, and like to find promising talents and support them since their youth, for example, in Kabuki, Takarazuka, and even Sumo.

Anyway, figure skating is the sport that stimulates our enthusiastic mind with its discipline and art including costumes, music, performance, etc. and thank God, now we have Yuzuru Hanyu, just like Tetsuya Kumakawa in ballet.  Nothing can stop us from loving him now :happy0007:

This is very interesting and I wish we all could leran from it,even here where ballet is very popular people still thinks of male ballet dancers as not man enough.

And it's mostly about ballet because if you do ballromm dance or hip hop well then that's fine....again hopefully things will change and we'll stop to judge people like this.

slightly ot but i love the idea that male skaters are the sporty cousins LOL

#rant

It's so cool that all these young skaters (and grandpas) are doing Yuzu tributes, but it annoys me a little that the Russian pair just used the Seimei music, which is not actually a track in itself. They didn't pull their own selections from Onmiyoji, which would be fine. Their team had to have ripped it straight from YouTube, because in Yuzu's cut there are a bunch of fundamental alterations to the music to make it precisely what Yuzu wanted to fit his own skating. Like the part with the piano and flute, which I believe was two separate tracks that weren't even in the same key, but Yuzu wanted them together so his music guy made his vision happen. Creating that specific, unique cut was a long and personal process for him so it doesn't entirely sit well with me that other people are using it in competition without attribution and probably unaware of all the fine-tuning and trial and error that went into what they hear. But they are juniors so I don't place any blame on them, because clearly their program comes from a place of honest admiration. 

I'm at least grateful that the sound of Yuzu's breath at the beginning was cut out, because that would have been weird. :idk:

Hello, im drawing a little on the wisdom of the crowd for a twitter thread I'm making - I remember there were some Chinese skaters with costume tributes to Yuzu this year and in the past (I seem to remember etude, Poto 1.0 and 2.0, maybe a PW?) and even a rollerskater from a few years ago but cannot for the life of me locate their names or clips. Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Can you DM me here or Twitter (@axelsandwich) if you have anything? Thanks guys~ :clapclap4:

16 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Hello, im drawing a little on the wisdom of the crowd for a twitter thread I'm making - I remember there were some Chinese skaters with costume tributes to Yuzu this year and in the past (I seem to remember etude, Poto 1.0 and 2.0, maybe a PW?) and even a rollerskater from a few years ago but cannot for the life of me locate their names or clips. Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Can you DM me here or Twitter (@axelsandwich) if you have anything? Thanks guys~ :clapclap4:

Hi!  I made this thread some time ago on GS. Search for Yuzuru and you'll find some.  There's a link for my old compilation there too.  Some videos are probably deleted though. Don't remember about any roller skating tribute though. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for!

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

A roller skater posted her Seime inspired costume here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/permalink/2354407798140346?sfns=mo

Also I remember a group of male rhythmic gymnasts a couple years ago matching sporting R&J2 costumes, I think they were from China but haven’t been able to dig up a photo yet.