General Yuzuru Chat

IIRC, in Yume wo Ikiru, Yuzu said he wants to open a skating school and have all the skaters he admires join in. Because he's Yuzuru Hanyu, I think he could do so much more. I think I've posted this before, but my dream for him, after retiring is starting an international network of skating schools, so all these skaters he admires can still say at their current rinks, but join in this network, where coaching information and knowledge is shared and exchange programs can happen and maybe smaller rinks can join in, too, and perhaps Yuzu & co can help with funding for skaters in countries where skating isn't really well-known. Nowadays, with the internet, it'd be easy to stay in touch and he could be both the face and the one drawing in the sponsors, while at the same time spreading his skating philosophy. They could have their own ice shows as well, which would be both fun and educative. And through it all, he would still help change FS for the better, but starting where it matters, with the skaters. Surely lots of them would want to join and I suspect they might become the majority, so whatever ISU weirdness might happen, they'd be harder to pull off. Obviously, only he knows what he'll do though, and given how much of himself he's already given to this port, I definitely wouldn't blame him if he didn't take on such a big project. But if he did, I think he'd be able to pull it off. Imagine, both Plushenko and Yagudin would probably join the network, who else could claim that? lol

22 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

IIRC, in Yume wo Ikiru, Yuzu said he wants to open a skating school and have all the skaters he admires join in. Because he's Yuzuru Hanyu, I think he could do so much more. I think I've posted this before, but my dream for him, after retiring is starting an international network of skating schools, so all these skaters he admires can still say at their current rinks, but join in this network, where coaching information and knowledge is shared and exchange programs can happen and maybe smaller rinks can join in, too, and perhaps Yuzu & co can help with funding for skaters in countries where skating isn't really well-known. Nowadays, with the internet, it'd be easy to stay in touch and he could be both the face and the one drawing in the sponsors, while at the same time spreading his skating philosophy. They could have their own ice shows as well, which would be both fun and educative. And through it all, he would still help change FS for the better, but starting where it matters, with the skaters. Surely lots of them would want to join and I suspect they might become the majority, so whatever ISU weirdness might happen, they'd be harder to pull off. Obviously, only he knows what he'll do though, and given how much of himself he's already given to this port, I definitely wouldn't blame him if he didn't take on such a big project. But if he did, I think he'd be able to pull it off. Imagine, both Plushenko and Yagudin would probably join the network, who else could claim that? lol

I think Yuzu will be more impactful after he retires than he is now. When ISU eventually takes in the notion that Yuzu ice shows are popular beyond measure, I hope they will realize they've gone too far in over emphasizing technical elements and return to what most fans would like to see. I personally would like to see him focus on ice shows before involving himself directly with skating schools, because by coaching he'd have to stick to ISU rule book and judging idiosyncrocies/biases. 

Hace 3 horas, micaelis said:

I have been saying all along that I think Yuzu's plan after retirement is to produce ice shows.  

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I don't think he should spend his youth dealing with ISU politics. That would be a waste of his talent... I'm aware that this sounds selfish though- he doesn't own us anything. First and foremost he should prioritise his own health, happiness and personal goals.

But if you ask me, my selfish wish is for him to keep performing for years to come. I'd love to watch him explore new styles and genres of music that he hasn't had the chance to try in competition. I could watch him skate for hours even without spins or jumps. He should produce his own ice show or bring back CiONTU; tour around Japan and maybe around the world too. Honestly, he has enough impact to hold a successful one-man ice show. I'm sure that would sell better than future ISU competitions without him -lol. That is just what I would like to see personally. 

Overall, to me he should keep performing and skating for as long as he wants and is able to. He'll have more than enough time to start coaching and/or become ISU president when he's older. 

random, probably unpopular thought.  It's possible that this whole splitting tech and artistic is actually to keep skaters like Yuzu in the sport longer.  ISU has to know at this point that without Yuzu, tickets only sell in Russia and Japan, but by having an "artistic" event, skaters that can no longer compete technically can still win but they can still have an American/Russian champion in the "technical" competition.  It's a "win/win" by ISU perspective - they can keep milking Yuzu for his popularity while still trying to create champions to market in other parts of the world.

I imagine ISU also wants to have more opportunities to crown Olympic skating champions.  Most of the public doesn't know how much of a farce the team event is so they buy into team medalists getting introduced as Olympic champions.  

I never took the proposal seriously so I haven't looked into it, but in theory, my main problem is with how they're going to be able to score the "artistic" portion with any type of competitive integrity - granted, they haven't been particularly successful with that in skating's current format.  Right now, I'm imagining "competitions" like the old pro-ams and professional competitions, which screamed cheese and made the sport a joke.  If it's like that, I imagine that it'll just further kill the sport.

20 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

random, probably unpopular thought.  It's possible that this whole splitting tech and artistic is actually to keep skaters like Yuzu in the sport longer.  ISU has to know at this point that without Yuzu, tickets only sell in Russia and Japan, but by having an "artistic" event, skaters that can no longer compete technically can still win but they can still have an American/Russian champion in the "technical" competition.  It's a "win/win" by ISU perspective - they can keep milking Yuzu for his popularity while still trying to create champions to market in other parts of the world.

I imagine ISU also wants to have more opportunities to crown Olympic skating champions.  Most of the public doesn't know how much of a farce the team event is so they buy into team medalists getting introduced as Olympic champions.  

I never took the proposal seriously so I haven't looked into it, but in theory, my main problem is with how they're going to be able to score the "artistic" portion with any type of competitive integrity - granted, they haven't been particularly successful with that in skating's current format.  Right now, I'm imagining "competitions" like the old pro-ams and professional competitions, which screamed cheese and made the sport a joke.  If it's like that, I imagine that it'll just further kill the sport.

Lol, Yuzu will retire if that plan is ever implemented. He wouldn't be able to recognize the sport anymore.

In this ongoing discussion of Yuzu after leaving competition and the likelihood(?) of his producing ice shows I am reminded of John Curry nearly a half century ago, who took the gold in both the Olympics and World Championships in 1976.  He had been quite vocal on his intent to make figure-skating more balletic and indeed after he left competing he founded a company of skaters ready to do just that, make figure-skating more balletic, though not in imitating specific balletic moves since the two are largely incompatible.  He wanted to adopt the ballet aesthetic.  He might have succeeded long-term if his life hadn't been tragically cut short by AIDS.  I think, though, Yuzu could be the perfect person to adapt John Curry's approach.  They basically are thinking along the same lines although we have to realize that skaters today execute moves (particularly jumps) that would have been regarded as science fiction back then.  The times have changed but the true aesthetic has not.  Yuzu has the ability to accomplish what John Curry ultimately was not able to.

13 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

In italian we say fare i conti senza l'oste ,which means calculating your own bill without the owner of the restaurant ;-P

Now Yuzuru said a neverending number of times that artistic perfection is only doable through perfect tech,for him  those 2 things cannot exist separated,so I doubt someone like him would be interested in a competition like ISU talks about.

I don't know what he'll do of course but selfishly I hope he'll keep skating after he stops competin,he's a very smart creative guy i'm sure he would come up with something unique.after all Continues was already unique and original.

I'll miss the competition side terribly ,nothing like the adrenaline of  a competition can give us a performance like H&L for example, but I'm very very curious to find out how Yuzuru will evolve....not too curious tho,so Yuzu in case you're lurking I can wait LOL

9 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Lol, Yuzu will retire if that plan is ever implemented. He wouldn't be able to recognize the sport anymore.

I don't see Yuzu wanting to participate in a competition like that either, but I don't think ISU knows anything about his personal philosophies toward the sport.  They're just looking for opportunities to make more money

14 минут назад, Old Cat Lady сказал:

I don't see Yuzu wanting to participate in a competition like that either, but I don't think ISU knows anything about his personal philosophies toward the sport.  They're just looking for opportunities to make more money

More money or just more medals for strong feds so skaters with less tech like Kolyada or Jason Brown can win (or just Chen can win both with ballet arms and all that), I don't believe artistic program has anything to do to keep skaters in the sport longer.

I have very slight hope ISU will not go there cuz I'm not even sure if artistic program can belong to Olys and just for the sake of current young skaters when at least some them try to up BV and have not completely empty programs at the same time.

ISU presumably have a PR team of some description because they do manage to publicise events.  Admittedly it seems to be a totally clueless, myopic bunch of dinosaurs with no research skills who never look at social media (unlike the Olympic media people who recognise a gold mine when it opens up at their feet) but it is there.  I suppose the powers that be select staff on the basis of their own preferences so the whole place is probably full of Luddites - like selecting like.  Perhaps they feel that such a high level of popularity is tasteless or undignified.  

I think Lakernik said it himself why they are considering this (same reason why they make some rules less strict; I remember some comment about how they eased up on the UR rule because there were too many UR calls last season... like... ugh... if there were many URs, there should be many UR calls? that UR calls penalize a skater twice is an issue, but not that there were too many...): some skaters - or most skaters - can't do everything, so they're changing the rules to make it possible for those skaters to win as well. Personally, I think that's stupid. That's like deciding to not teach functions or equations in Maths in school, so that more kids can get high grades. Or deciding that it's not necessary for school kids to read classical novels, they can just read magazine articles and SNS posts to develop comprehension skills. And in school, that would still be somewhat understandable, but in a sport, deciding to simplify things so as to make it easier for athletes who can't raise up to a certain level is just stupid. It's a sport, it's not a 'let's make it so everybody can win!' thing. In a sport, the best athlete wins. If one could argue that NOBODY can raise to the demanded level, ok, maybe then the rules do need re-thinking. But obviously, it's not impossible. So why not insist on skaters actually improving to such a level, instead of simplifying the sport so they don't have to? But well, it's the ISU, so...

Yes, if so many get UR calls, then should they not be even MORE strict? I would rather the skaters who actually have proper technique and ability win competitions. You know, the best ones win? 

ETA: You wouldn't give a diver with bent knees the best mark. And the argument that so many divers  have bent knees so we'll let them all have bent knees would never fly...