General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, kiches said:

What really annoys me though is when people leave mid-performance or do their makeup in the middle of someone else's skate (yes, I have sadly seen this happen). I also prefer not to get up and down from my seat when someone is just about to start their program since I worry it can be distracting and it also blocks people's view. If I've left my seat, then I wait until the skater has finished their program to go back to my seat. I typically try to apply the etiquette rules I learned from my high school tennis coach about being respectful while watching games and moving around behind when players are on the court, but I understand that not everyone is taught these things so hopefully people practice their best judgement and are mindful while skaters are on the ice competing. I feel the movement in the crowds are usually more noticeable in small competitions and venues like ACI so I'm usually really careful. For practice sessions I think it's typically okay to get up and move around more freely, but I'd usually try to keep applause and cheers for after an element is successfully completed, but you can't keep track of everyone on ice during practice.

Agree. I get that it's not easy to sit through an entire competition (especially when there's a large number of competitors), but once in your seat, at least wait until the next zamboni break or next 6 minute warmup before you get up, and when returning to your seat, only do it in between skaters. During one of the women's segments this year in Oakville, six or seven people in my row got up and ran off right in the middle of someone's program, disrupting everyone else in the row, to go try and get a photo with Javi who just happened to pop in for a moment.

It was very disruptive and distracting and irritating. I wanted to watch that skate, and I couldn't concentrate because I kept having to stand up and sit down like a jack-in-the-box in order to let them by. I could have done without the rise in blood pressure.

So, yeah, don't do it during competition. It's rude AF.

You can make an argument that it's more acceptable to do this kind of thing during practices, and I say that it's better to be considerate of your seat-mates  and stay put if possible.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/09/19/figure-skating/cristina-valdez-ecstatic-fulfilling-dream-seeing-yuzuru-hanyu-skate-person/?hootPostID=d240e28e63e877e4842bf5e3083d3b3c#.XYZLLyhKjaS

Valdez, who founded the Crescendo Conservatory four years ago, is still uncertain about whether Hanyu has seen her troupe's salute to him. I inquired as to if she had sent a video of the performance to him.

"I'm a bit of a modest person I don't want to force myself on him," Valdez commented. "Fans tell me he may have seen it. I did make a Notte Stellata Pooh and had all my dancers sign the card with a picture of it and we left it in the gift box. If he wasn't aware of it before, he might be aware of it now."

I did send an email to Erin d'Eon, the skating coordinator, at the TCC with a link to the rehearsal video shortly after it was posted, giving full credit to @cvdnce and providing the back story. I asked that the email and video link be passed on to Yuzu's team and she replied that she would.

So I have a couple of questions and one is about the skater's gift box this year. Why was it mostly gifts rather than cards or letters? I didn't see a lot of those in the box on either Friday or Saturday. I put in a Bentley bag with a Pooh Bear and a package on Friday and it was half full when it got emptied out. It had Yuzuru's name in Japanese and English and inside was a letter (with a translated copy), stickers, a copy of my Pooh Bear drawing, pictures and a self addressed envelope. I'm not even sure if he'll use the self addressed envelope let alone listen to my concerns for his health (as in injuring himself). I'd have hoped he would try listening somehow, but with his latest interviews suggesting overexerting himself, I feel worried as hell. Especially when he said he was training quintuples in a harness (like quads aren't enough work to land!).

20 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

So I have a couple of questions and one is about the skater's gift box this year. Why was it mostly gifts rather than cards or letters? I didn't see a lot of those in the box on either Friday or Saturday. I put in a Bentley bag with a Pooh Bear and a package on Friday and it was half full when it got emptied out. It had Yuzuru's name in Japanese and English and inside was a letter (with a translated copy), stickers, a copy of my Pooh Bear drawing, pictures and a self addressed envelope. I'm not even sure if he'll use the self addressed envelope let alone listen to my concerns for his health (as in injuring himself). I'd have hoped he would try listening somehow, but with his latest interviews suggesting overexerting himself, I feel worried as hell. Especially when he said he was training quintuples in a harness (like quads aren't enough work to land!).

It's been mentioned in past interviews (not by him, but by someone from JSF I believe) that he receives so much fan mail that there's a two-year backlog on even just reading it....

44 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/09/19/figure-skating/cristina-valdez-ecstatic-fulfilling-dream-seeing-yuzuru-hanyu-skate-person/?hootPostID=d240e28e63e877e4842bf5e3083d3b3c#.XYZLLyhKjaS

Valdez, who founded the Crescendo Conservatory four years ago, is still uncertain about whether Hanyu has seen her troupe's salute to him. I inquired as to if she had sent a video of the performance to him.

"I'm a bit of a modest person I don't want to force myself on him," Valdez commented. "Fans tell me he may have seen it. I did make a Notte Stellata Pooh and had all my dancers sign the card with a picture of it and we left it in the gift box. If he wasn't aware of it before, he might be aware of it now."

I did send an email to Erin d'Eon, the skating coordinator, at the TCC with a link to the rehearsal video shortly after it was posted, giving full credit to @cvdnce and providing the back story. I asked that the email and video link be passed on to Yuzu's team and she replied that she would.

Wow, thank you.  I did not know.   Maybe he has seen it. That would be incredible.   🙏🏻

2 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Fans give whatever they feel like, but I think letters are less visible in the huge box of gifts. I did see the Team Japan crew on Saturday basically come by and pick up the gifts since by the time I stepped back outside the large box was replaced by a much smaller emptier gift box. I had a card I wrote which I tucked into the box which wasn't visible at all. I'm sure a lot of gifts include cards and letters too tucked inside, and it's been known that the team pulls out all letters and cards from the gifts and plush to save.

15 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

This is hilarious! :rofl2:

For me this feels a bit like being hit by a school bus.

I hope that Yuzu and Boyang can get clean FS together this season and restore the true power relations as quickly as possible. This list hurts my skating soul.

Different topic: do we have any news from On Ice Perspectives? I can't wait for the footage :clapclap4:

2 hours ago, kiches said:

Fans give whatever they feel like, but I think letters are less visible in the huge box of gifts. I did see the Team Japan crew on Saturday basically come by and pick up the gifts since by the time I stepped back outside the large box was replaced by a much smaller emptier gift box. I had a card I wrote which I tucked into the box which wasn't visible at all. I'm sure a lot of gifts include cards and letters too tucked inside, and it's been known that the team pulls out all letters and cards from the gifts and plush to save.

When you also add in the letters cards and gifts he gets sent to him at TCC and in Japan... I know he and his family appreciate and try to get to every single one, and he is quick to mention how much he appreciates his fans whenever he can, he takes not one of us for granted, but the boy is (even if at times we don't quite believe it) human, with one pair of eyes. I think a lot of fans, even if they realise he may not get to their gift or letter quickly, still want to send/give, as a tangible, visible way of letting him know how much he matters to an amazing number of people.

Cynthia, I hope he does get to read your loving words soon.

(On the other hand, Brian has been trying to reign him in a bit ever since the first follicle fell out.  If he can't do it...)

8 часов назад, kiches сказал:

If I've left my seat, then I wait until the skater has finished their program to go back to my seat.

During competitions it must be arena's stuff work at the gates - hold people at the door until current skating is over, then person can go to it's seat while there is a pause for scoring - it's respectful to the skater and also to other viewers. But sadly not always stuff knows or follows these rules.

During practice I don't think you need be strict when moving around, also I don't remember that much loud reactions to the smth Yuzu was doing during practice, only a couple of times here and there when he was doing smth funny and claps for really good jumps.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I hope that Yuzu and Boyang can get clean FS together this season and restore the true power relations as quickly as possible. This list hurts my skating soul.

Different topic: do we have any news from On Ice Perspectives? I can't wait for the footage :clapclap4:

Yes, please! Yuzu and Boyang power! I really hope that both of them have a HEALTHY season and many clean performances! Show them who the true quad kings are and what quality jumps really are, Yuzugoat and Boyangman! :cheer:

Regarding On Ice Perspectives, I've been checking their YouTube and Instagram since yesterday. Still nothing... :headdesk2:

OT. I have successfully convince my Mom and my friend that Yuzuru Hanyu is the best person of this era and esp. of his generation.

Anyway, here is what they think more or less about Yuzu: that he seems like a sincere/genuinely nice person with childlike innocence but also very cunning, and he has such a sweet face and charming attitude, and they just cannot help but admire him for his role in society outside figure skating competition. And they also admire his drives and his motivation. 

So my Mom and my friend enjoys watching full competition video and documentary (esp. because Japanese documentary is top-notch informative, new figure-skating fans greatly benefit from how discovery channel-like Japanese documentary about Yuzuru are). At first I am rather hesitant because of the image of transsexual men and men in drag in my country, and the fact that my Mom is mostly uncomfortable with some skaters. And, especially this is what my Mom notes about Yuzuru.

My Mom is kinda amazed by how pure Yuzu's skating are, and for my Mom, who is not the most liberal but also not very conservative, despite how borderline gender bending some of Yuzu's costumes are, they don't make him feminine and his mannerism and choreography does not have a feminine association. He exudes something like innocence, and as my Mom watches Notte Stellatta or Hopurega, or Haru Yo Koi, what she gets is a child who looks soooo happy on ice that it makes people who watch him happy too. Mind you, my Mom used to be a big big fan of Michael Jackson (and you know how MJ is with his sex appeal and his choreography). My friend too thinks like this, but she is a girl and an otaku too so we are kinda used to that kind of portrayal of a male protagonist who seem fragile/delicate externally but very powerful.

Another thing that appeal to my Mom, is Yuzuru's performance and interpretation. For my Mom who is a fan of MJ, she really likes how freely Yuzuru used his body on ice. He does not seem chained to choreographed movement. What he shows off, his movement, it all feels organic/natural,  a bit like free styling (even if we know it is choreographed). She is impressed with how Yuzu accentuate the music, and it appeals to her very much, because it makes every performance unpredictable and emotionally appealing, unlike many other programs which is being executed very strictly to the choreography.  IMO, not many skaters can do it like that, Yuzu's overall appearance convinces most of us that we are actually watching a mystical creature playing around on ice, and it is pretty magical, before he falls and we get shocked back to the realization that he is very much human.

Btw, Mom's favorite performance so far, it seems, is LGC from GPF 2016. 

4 hours ago, Henni147 said:

perfect emoji is perfect LOL

I'm on my way to convice(AKA blakmailing)my best friend to do something crazy and try to go to Torino....either she stops talking to me or I'll drag her along !

she loves Japan(been there several times)she knows Japanese so of course I sent her Seimei video(several versions) and I think it's working !

About Fans at competitions it is a bit sad to see empty seats even from home,but as other have said sometimes you just need a break:the ideal would be trying to take that break at the right moment but that it's not always possible.

Rude people are everywhere but as long as the majority of fans(being thm Yuzuru's or other skaters)behave I think it's fine.

4 hours ago, Henni147 said:

you have to remember that Yuzu got a bunch of BS calls that destroyed his TES at ACI. without them his TES would have been like 14 pts higher

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

you have to remember that Yuzu got a bunch of BS calls that destroyed his TES at ACI. without them his TES would have been like 14 pts higher

Aye, correct. The three calls alone cost him sth around 14-15 points in TES... I'm a bit surprised that he got positive GOE for all three UR elements tbh. Is that one effect of the 19/20 rule change? In Yuzu's case I'm relieved that he didn't get a double punishment, but that also means: truly underrotated jumps (with a call) probably don't get negative GOE either... :68811363:

I think it's pointless to calculate any theoretical TES for a clean freeskate here, because it's unlikely that he will keep this layout in the GP series. However, it shows pretty well, how much damage the panel can cause with 2-3 calls.