General Yuzuru Chat

9 минут назад, Yuzurella сказал:

This is the most nosebleed-inducing costume ever! :10742290: :10742290: :10742290:

LGC might still not agree :winky: but as much as I liked gold feathers on the first version I think this one fits better and color is very beautiful, also those flowers on his lower back I find quite flirty :devilYuzu: and hair are perfect :nod2:

All I can say about incorrect technical calls is that, in cases  where there is clear and present evidence of judging error, the skater and/or their coach should have a right to appeal the call and ask for a re-mark of the performance, as reviewed on video. My understanding is that the ISU does not have an appeal rule like this yet. 

In order to prevent such a right from being abused, do something like limit the number of times per competition an athlete can appeal, or limit the number of points that can be gained upon review. (because you know it'll get abused otherwise)

At least that way, the technical panel can be held accountable for outright error. This rule is present in many sports and can be a great mechanism for ensuring fairness.

1 minute ago, Veveco said:

:10636614:

I wonder what was all the shaking while on the chair ,excitement while waiting for the score?or was he simply stretching is legs?at the beginning of it both him and Brian looks down ....whatever it was is so cute  and funny at the same time ...funny until they announced the score of course which btw ,according to someone on Twitter, took them 6 minutes :huh:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

All I can say about incorrect technical calls is that, in cases  where there is clear and present evidence of judging error, the skater and/or their coach should have a right to appeal the call and ask for a re-mark of the performance, as reviewed on video. My understanding is that the ISU does not have an appeal rule like this yet. 

In order to prevent such a right from being abused, do something like limit the number of times per competition an athlete can appeal, or limit the number of points that can be gained upon review. (because you know it'll get abused otherwise)

At least that way, the technical panel can be held accountable for outright error. This rule is present in many sports and can be a great mechanism for ensuring fairness.

Gymnastics has an appeal system but you have to pay and you have to do it very quickly after the disputed call - see on YouTube Team Japan scrambling to get the cash sorted and the money and the appeal to the judges table in time after Kohei screwed up the dismount from the pommel horse.  Not saying it’s ideal but it is a system, it’s fast, so it doesn’t unduly delay the competition.  Of course you’d have to let the judges look at the footage....  therefore you would need to have adequate footage.

11 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Gymnastics has an appeal system but you have to pay and you have to do it very quickly after the disputed call - see on YouTube Team Japan scrambling to get the cash sorted and the money and the appeal to the judges table in time after Kohei screwed up the dismount from the pommel horse.  Not saying it’s ideal but it is a system, it’s fast, so it doesn’t unduly delay the competition.  Of course you’d have to let the judges look at the footage....  therefore you would need to have adequate footage.

Does "scrambling to get the cash sorted" actually mean they pay with cold cash? Also could you link the video or what search words should I use to get to that video?

I think that those who say the Japanese skating authorities don't care are probably correct to a point, but as one person has said those people have yet to deal with an angry Yuzu ready to go public and berate them for not standing behind him.  Yuzu commands more respect and credibility than the whole federation does and I think if he were to threaten them with a public accusation of lack of support they'd quickly get in line.  Yuzu's fandom and also his contacts with non-skating powers give him a leverage no other Japanese skater possesses.  Like the American president Theodore Roosevelt once said when talking about conducting diplomacy, one should speak softly but carry a big stick.  Yuzu carries a stick bigger than almost any other Japanese athlete in any sport.  I don't think the Japanese fed would care to feel its weight on them.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Only recent case I can remember was Euros 2017 ID. C/L were first in the SD then I think hours after the event finished, RusFed complained about their lift. The panel reviewed their lift (they performed an extra little lift, which is considered an illegal element) so they received a 1 point deduction and the 1st place went to B/S.

Luca's reaction to the deduction after the FD :68468287:

Spoiler

3 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

I'm sure they have been close for some time now, but there are cultural differences. Both Brian and Javi have described their relationship closer to a father and son one. However, my impression is that in Japan, student-coach relationships have their own category. A coach isn't a father/mother or a best friend. A coach is a coach and a precious existence in themselves, but they're neither family, nor friends. It's something else entirely, though that does not necessarily imply any less caring. A coach is someone you respect and who guides you through your career. He/she is not necessarily someone you interact with outside of your sport, but within your sport they are probably the most important person and a very special bond. I believe that's what Brian and Yuzu have, what Tracy and Yuzu have. Now Ghislain might actually be closer to him, because they went through the trauma of the NHK '17 injury and recovery together and it's possible that brought them closer together. It's also possible that in time Yuzu got a bit more accustomed to the Western ways of TCC and warmed up towards his coaches even more. But even if not, it doesn't mean Brian doesn't care about Yuzu - though it might have been harder for him to understand exactly where they stand - or that Yuzu doesn't care about Brian. He skated for Brian's father when he passed away, even though Brian didn't even tell anyone about it, after all.

My impression is that none of Yuzu's other coaches ever treated him like their kid either. Not even Nanami-sensei mothered him. I find Coach Fluffy to have been more motherly with Shoma than any of Yuzu's coaches ever were with him. So I think it is a cultural difference, in that the parametres are a bit different, but the relationship itself is still very important.

Actually, I think Yuzu is a bit more touchy feely than your average Japanese, I think. He hugged other skaters even before Javi's Spanish influence. There's also that video of when he first went back to Ice Rink Sendai after the earthquake, and he gives a girl there a big hug as well as being affectionate with a little girl (I always keep forgetting the little girl's name). So he's quite open to hugging, though of course, that's people he knows well. That said, he is obviously very comfortable with the Cricket team and hugging them. You can see in older competitions, when he was still fresh at TCC, and especially in competitions that did not go well, he is much more distant. Those hugs in Helsinki 2017 were so very fluffy, though and I think they showed just how a close knit community they are.

I don't remember this right now, so a link would be great :)

Anyway, I totally understand diplomacy regarding comments about the ISU and scoring. I think Brian and Yuzu have always been aware of it, but also, in a way, until now it was more about just judging Yuzu much more strictly than other skaters, while being far more lax towards other skaters. Unfair, but ultimately it had the bright side that Yuzu would continue to improve to his full potential. It was something they could deal with and in the process create something truly fantastic. Which is why I got the impression that Brian perhaps didn't mind it THAT much. And he felt they could control it by simply being much better than everyone else. However, this time, it was a completely different thing. This time they weren't strict, they were just making up mistakes that weren't there. This wasn't something they could control, except by giving the judges/technical panel binoculars. So it makes sense he's pissed now. I don't know if he considers it a conspiracy theory or just gross incompetence (though one wrong UR call can happen, even two, but three is a bit too much), but if it does happen again, I won't be surprised if he'll try to do something about it. It might not be possible to continue being diplomatic if this is the start of a pattern. (And be ready for all hell to break loose if Yuzu and Vincent are ever in a competition and Yuzu gets UR calls and Vincent doesn't... I'm not sure even diplomatic Brian would sit quietly on that.)

Oh and I know some people were hoping Javi would speak up for Yuzu. I personally don't expect him to. I wish he would, because nobody else really can, but I don't think he will. His very diplomatic comments about Nathan after Worlds settled it for me. Javi has a responsibility to the Spanish fed, to Spanish skaters and skating and to himself at the end of the day, and making undiplomatic comments could have bad repercussions on any of those things. So, diplomacy is the way to go. He will always be complimentary towards Yuzu, but I don't think he'll risk any of the other things in order to stand up for him. Especially when Yuzu himself probably has more power in his little finger - if he ever cared to use it - than Javi does altogether. I hope for ISU's sake they never manage to really piss off Yuzu, because I'm not sure a truly mad Yuzu is a Yuzu anyone would want to face... I have a feeling a mad Yuzu is pretty damn scary...

There was this old group interview of Yuzu, Keiji and Ryuju when they were teenagers. They talked about how they met. Keiji and Ryuju met Yuzu at Nobeyama camp. Keiji recalled that Yuzu was the first person who talked to him there. Yuzu casually talked to him and introduced himself. Keiji was somewhat taken aback because kids that age are generally shy with strangers, and Keiji was relatively reserved. Keiji and Ryuju said Yuzu hadn’t changed since then, his same friendly self. That’s how people see him. In Toronto, maybe it was a little different. Language and cultural barriers for one thing, and it was a transfer after 3.11 with a lot of things going on. But every time I hear something about his reserved personality, I don’t know, it just doesn’t sit well with me. So, I really appreciate it when you explain some of the cultural stuff so properly.

1 hour ago, mokjakarma said:

Does "scrambling to get the cash sorted" actually mean they pay with cold cash? Also could you link the video or what search words should I use to get to that video?

It’s 2012 Olympics team event.  When I look at it again it took a while to sort out because it was the last competitor on the last piece of apparatus and they announced the winners before the appeal was sorted so a bit of a mess.  In the middle of competition it sorts itself out quicker.  As for actual cash changing hands, I remember some idiot on social media accusing the Japanese of bribing the judges and people having to explain the system - someone whose interest in MAG probably only existed for those few hours because GB were doing well.  It’s around 2:30:15

https://youtu.be/6W0HCqIgm6Y

sorry - too slow!