General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Kim Nhung said:

I admire him for it but at the same time I am worried. He himself said that he lives like a monk, and that skating is all his life. I am worried because he has lived like that for quite (or very?) long time, and that he may suffer from loneliness, isolation... As a young man, I really hope that he can enjoy and relax a nit more. Am I worried too much? 

Based on my experience, and people that I know, there are those people who just enjoy being alone. I am a homebody myself, and I don't find the need to hang out etc. Sometimes we lament about young man who plays around too much, who does not have a dream/vision in his life, who drifts through life without any contribution to the society. And now we have this young man who can become a role model and we lament about his life too. 

From the nuances of his interview, I feel that he definitely does not feel that he suffers. Since childhood, he is convinced that his happiness comes from skating and from his family, and it is enough for him. Rather than internally feeling lonely or isolation, it is people's reaction about his choices which will make him second guessing himself. He thinks that people see him as pitiful. I definitely feel that, when people come to me and criticizing why I dont go out etc., I will start to think, am I a weirdo? Am I strange? Should I feel loneliness or isolation? Maybe I am behaving like a monk, even though I definitely do not feel it myself. For me, what I am doing is normal (I am the kind of person who is capable on not going outside for days at a time, and don't bother to meet up with other people). That is not to say he or other like him do not maintain online communication.

I personally think it is his life choice, and it will be great if people can respect that. I am sure that in his mind, he already has a timeline, that he is going to focus on this, on competing and figure skating until he r-word, and he will sacrifice things that other people think as happiness. And see? The expression that he give during PC's Seimei, that is pure unadulterated happiness that you rarely can find on young people even when they do this so call relaxing and enjoying life. Moreover, from his social interaction, I definitely don't see him as awkward, instead he is very well adjusted and it shows that his social life does not suffer from this. It won't be that long, at least until he is in his 30s, fans might see him go out more etc. etc though I doubt it.

So many people say that we have to have fun and enjoy and relax while we are still young, but esp. for athletes and esp. for figure skaters, youth is that period that one should take complete advantage of. And it is absolutely okay to choose that. And I think we have to respect that he wants to optimize his opportunity.

As @Yuzurella noted, we should restrain ourselves and refrain from thrashing out against ISU.  This will only bring disrepute to the Yuzu community, and will likely disappoint Yuzu himself. 

This does not mean we will be complacent or poly-annish about the situation.  We shall rise and create a new movement in a manner that will remain true to our values of respect, integrity and moral probity.  These should be the hallmarks of Yuzu's community and our guiding principles.  

Yosh-tosh reflected these thoughts in the image below:  "those who believe shall be saved".   It's not a reference to any religion (I am a Japanese atheist/pantheist).  The image resonated with my earlier post relating the Ashura figure of Kofukuji (Nara) to the deep emotional connection that Yuzu engenders amongst us.  Ashura kannon understands the cruelty of life and sufferings caused by man, and helps us to overcome these through compassion, understanding, and perseverence - looong suffering perseverence.   Yuzu's trials are a collective shugyo (monk's training) for all of us, and will continually test our ability to respond with kindness, not anger.  Yuzu would be happy if we can each find a better version of ourselves through these trials.  

Image result for ashura kofukuji naraImage result for ashura kofukuji nara

2分鐘前, 4Nessie說:

Talking about his violin hands, did anyone else notice his bow-shooting move? I think it is new as well. It is not held very long, therefore it won't be so accurate, but imo it was kind of cute. :7938863:

I love how both violin and bow are related to his name. Also the feathers (though fewer in the new costume) in the costume. :softYuzu:

4 hours ago, shanshani said:

On the other hand, Yuzu does have to retire eventually, and competitions and Olympics will then be a thing of the past. 

I keep thinking about what he'll do after he's done with competitive skating.  I'm worried that he'll stick to Japan and the rest of the world will never get to see him again except on TV.  Wondering how inappropriate it is to send a letter begging him to consider doing a day of Ciontu in NA or even Europe after retirement and point out that it's nearly impossible for non-Japanese fans to see him.  I'm sure he'll be able to sell out shows anywhere.  Pretty sure even Japanese fans will fly out since it's so hard  even for the Japanese to get tickets.

1 hour ago, andchipzz said:

Based on my experience, and people that I know, there are those people who just enjoy being alone. I am a homebody myself, and I don't find the need to hang out etc. 

As a loner myself, I get this.  For a while, I did get depressed that I missed out on things, but then I started doing them and quickly found out that I got tired of them.  People can't believe when I say that I only socialize every other weekend and often get tired of it by the end of the weekend.  And this is actually an increase in social time because I decided last year that I need to do a better job of developing relationships.

If nothing else, there's nothing we can do about it so it's better to just think the best and enjoy our time with him.

6 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I keep thinking about what he'll do after he's done with competitive skating.  I'm worried that he'll stick to Japan and the rest of the world will never get to see him again except on TV.  Wondering how inappropriate it is to send a letter begging him to consider doing a day of Ciontu in NA or even Europe after retirement and point out that it's nearly impossible for non-Japanese fans to see him.  I'm sure he'll be able to sell out shows anywhere.  Pretty sure even Japanese fans will fly out since it's so hard  even for the Japanese to get tickets.

I would not worry - I am sure he will get about.  He mentioned in one of his post-olympic interviews that he would like to help out skaters - whoever they may be - if they are serious and committed to skating.  I have an image of Yuzu in Cambodia helping a local team put together a skating program, and then flitting around the country-side as the UNICEF ambassador.    I used to work for UNICEF, and have already contacted my UNICEF colleagues to consider Yuzu as UNICEF ambassador when he retires.   At least one of them is a fanyu and she promised to follow up!

19 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Talking about his violin hands, did anyone else notice his bow-shooting move? I think it is new as well. It is not held very long, therefore it won't be so accurate, but imo it was kind of cute. :7938863:

I dunno, there's no reason to believe he didn't put as much research into the archery gesture as the violin gesture. It looked very like the style used in Japanese archery to me. Also, I thought that bit was a self-reference or maybe for his dad since his father has said in an interview that he chose the name Yuzuru, meaning 'taut bowstring about to release' , for him. 

Origin 2.0 might be a continuation of H&L in that sense, wherein it's about Yuzu's life maybe. 

10 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I dunno, there's no reason to believe he didn't put as much research into the archery gesture as the violin gesture. It looked very like the style used in Japanese archery to me. Also, I thought that bit was a self-reference or maybe for his dad since his father has said in an interview that he chose the name Yuzuru, meaning 'taut bowstring about to release' , for him. 

Origin 2.0 might be a continuation of H&L in that sense, wherein it's about Yuzu's life maybe. 

No, I didn't mean he did not research that enough. I meant he did not hold the position in that actual skate. So when he released the arrow, he was not holding the bow anymore. That's all I was saying. No criticism in that. I adore that move. :7938863:

5 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Now, the way he actually holds the bow.....

Lol, all I could think when I saw that was how my violin teacher clapping aggressively (it's like angry stomping but with your hands, lol - she was a marvelous musician but this was her greatest talent) at me if my bow grip got lazy. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

Oh wow, apparently even TSL don’t think the ACI 4Ts were underrotated. And according to them, Doug Haw (and apparently Brian) were furious about it. 

Wow, did the Earth rotate the wrong direction, or travel to a weird unknown dimension?

:surprised:

4 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Wow, did the Earth rotate the wrong direction, or travel to a weird unknown dimension?

:surprised:

They were pretty complimentary this time, really. Apparently. I am not going to kill an hour of my life listening to Dave, who I can’t stand. Those manners!