General Yuzuru Chat

28 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Apparently, my priority is actually Yuzu and skating, not work or real life  :P

After GP assignments are announced, the first thing I did was check the competition dates and location then booked my leave to make sure I will be free for the dates to watch the competitions. I cannot travel to see it live but at least I will be able to watch the live streaming so I'm happy with it :dancingpooh: For ACI, I don't need to take any time off but I'll need a lot of cuppa to keep me awake through the night into early hours of morning. I will be ready!!:hachimaki:

57 минут назад, Neenah сказал:

I was telling myself for the last month that I should be better at managing my time and responsibility. That I should set my prioritises straight and focus on my work and career. But, all of my resolutions were thrown out of the window when I realised that ACI conflicts with an important work meeting. So, today, I changed my entire schedule for the next two weeks and will be working an extra day this week to be able to take the time off later for ACI  :happy:

Last year, I planned my entire work schedule three months in advance, to be sure I will be free during Rostelecom. I think we are all here with a common priority. 

OT: I'm not so updated on FS so I'm late with my thoughts on this. Lurking I saw that again ISU may be considering splitting the competitions into Artistic and Technical programs?

As a fan of the beauty of figure skating bringing it all together, my opinion is a hard NO. But I realize it's because I share similar views on figure skating as Hanyu who perfectly brings both in one program, and he is the only currently active male skater in my opinion bringing in the flawless technique melding with strong components.

Looking at the split with Hanyu in mind, even separated he can top with his technique or components alone and it'd be even better without him having to work harder than the rest to do both. Of course I still prefer the short and long programs as it is (without the poor judging) but even if ISU decides to mess it up Hanyu will still bring it.

That's all I wanted to say. i just wanted to gloat about the all-around strengths of the goat.

4 hours ago, andchipzz said:

He wants to reach it, technical omnipotence, so that he can show his artistic excellence without sacrificing his techniques (because isn't it his conviction? that one will not reach highest artistic quality (or smth like that) without excellent technique?)

Yes, I believe he said that or something very like it during the Japan Foreign Correspondent's interview after the Olympics. And I absolutely hope he achieves his goal. 

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

I was telling myself for the last month that I should be better at managing my time and responsibility. That I should set my prioritises straight and focus on my work and career. But, all of my resolutions were thrown out of the window when I realised that ACI conflicts with an important work meeting. So, today, I changed my entire schedule for the next two weeks and will be working an extra day this week to be able to take the time off later for ACI  :happy:

real life is stressing me out so much right now (check flag, that's all I'm gonna say) so I like really badly need Yuzu as a distraction. ACI can't come soon enough (if my flight even takes off, ugh).

6 hours ago, andchipzz said:

This is gonna be a long musings. I apologize before hand ufufufufu.

So, preparing for ACI, I watched all of Yuzu's performance in the big competitions (GPF, Worlds, and Olympics, starting from his very first senior comp.). And I just realize that at the beginning, he was thought as not very artistic (emphasizing much on technicalities and jumps). It is amazing how in 2012 - 2014, 2 Quads and 8 triples in LP are like so great but nowadays...

Anyway, he already has the talent and potential in musical interpretation, but, in such kind of sport, the body which is demanded to do spins and jumps and everything else cannot always translate the artistic aspect of the choreography too. However, the more he perfects his technique, the better he tunes in to his artistic side (as in, he can show off his artistic side better).  It translates to an ease and fluidity in his programs. Unfortunately, I don't feel them in Origin and Otanal, and I am so very hopeful that he will recycle both programs because for me, they haven't reach the highest potential YET. I don't know, when I watch him perform those programs in three diff. competition, I keep having this sense of "it really can be better than this, he has not perform them to perfection." Maybe the judges all think like me, that they just CANNOT help but put him in such a different standard because they know what he can do (and already did). It is unfair, but it is what it is. If only there is a competition specifically made for Olympic and WC podium winners.

I think, the times he spent off-ice and off-competition needing to rest and rehab really cost him his fighting spirit. Made worse by the condition of his injuries, the sense of finality (since he already won 2 OGM), it seems for a moment he might be thinking, "Oh, is this my time?", but somehow, after World 2019, and seeing his passionate performance in FAOI, it seems to me he found it already, his passion to pursue perfection and prove it to all the judges esp. Because he is a maniac, isn't he? He wants to reach it, technical omnipotence, so that he can show his artistic excellence without sacrificing his techniques (because isn't it his conviction? that one will not reach highest artistic quality (or smth like that) without excellent technique?) A performance that no one can find fault in, a perfection in all aspects. And it is true too,  without great technique, watercolor painters will only create mess --> that is why artists practice everyday, as much as possible, experimenting with different techniques and tools.

I think for him it is a good thing. I hope being reminded that there are still so many things he can pursue makes him care a little bit more about his conditions and injuries, that he still has goals and he needs to hold one by taking care of himself. And he might know that the judges are kinda leaning toward one or two skaters, and therefore he is a man on mission, to achieve performances that no judge can fault. 

"I want to be an absolute existence, that even if all other competitors have performed to their best, they will still think that they won't win." --> this is his vision now. And its GREAT even if so manga-like that I am sure he reads too much sports manga in his free time. But it is something he can do.

On the other hand, we ARE lucky to be Yuzuru's fans. Yuzuru's figure skating is not all about technique and skills which demand a lot from his body. A commentator once said, in case one erase all the jumps in his performances, it is still something great, and it shows in his exhibitions. He is beautiful on ice, his movements and body lines, his fluidity, his interpretation, his physical beauty... you know, even if he r****** from competition, I am sure he will still perform in Ice Shows, and it will be even more attended than WCs, we can still see him live if we want to. So many competitive skater r**** because of injury to become pro skater and coaches.

Anyway, it is very exciting to see what he will offer in this season that will begin this month. And I really hope that all will be well, the he can perform to his heart content in the body which can sustain it.

I decided to quote this whole post despite its length.  I think it necessary to look at it in its totality.  Of all the many posts I've read on this forum, particularly in this thread, this is one of the most well-written and thoroughly thought-through posts I have encountered.  It gets right to the main issue I think is most currently occupying Yuzu right now - the search for perfection before both judges and public in the face of the increasing toll age is taking on him.  In some ways this coming season is very symbolic.  It is his tenth season skating senior level.  Inevitably any of us entering into the tenth year of a particular activity find it necessary to take stock and decide whether to continue.   I really do think that is the prime issue for Yuzu right now.  I don't know about the rest of you but I do think for Yuzu this season is a do or die season.  I don't know how he will resolve it but I am quite convinced that Yuzu is right now looking at the possibilities of life after competing.

5 hours ago, Umebachi said:

I had to pass by Shinjuku Station (Tokyo) this afternoon, and took the opportunity to check the Metro Underpass by Marunouchi Line. Since this was not during the rush-hour, the crowd was not too bad (Shinjuku is always crowded).  Still, quite a number of people were lined up in front of the Tour de Tohoku posters.  The lighting was not ideal for taking pictures - you can get better images by downloading directly from the website - but it was great to see the posters in person.  The figures are life-sized and beautifully drawn - really quite moving.  I have included the map (from the Tour de Tohoku website), below, showing the locations of each poster.  The landscape backdrops are amazingly accurate and capture the feel of the place. 

512JrqO.jpg

Ai00piR.jpg

kKPZ9fv.jpg

Dwpft99.jpg

8uXyBYN.jpg

thank you for haring...they are truly beautiful,just look at those shades on the grass....also in the map the one under the rain seems truy magical!

8 minutes ago, shanshani said:

real life is stressing me out so much right now (check flag, that's all I'm gonna say) so I like really badly need Yuzu as a distraction. ACI can't come soon enough (if my flight even takes off, ugh).

I hope your flight we'll be fine and of course most of all I hope for your country:hugs:

they wanted me to do a special course next weekend,told them no way...i'll be working this weekend too so the next I'll be free for ACI(not fot the practices probably but i'll see what i can do)...priorities :grin:

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

My priority is Yuzu as well I would say ! In June we wrote shiftplan for September and I wrote my shift so that I would be able to watch ACI I said to everyone that I won’t be available next week because I am busy and today I wrote the plan for October after looking on the the schedule for SC ! I am lucky that my coworker is such a good sport ! 

37 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

To sum up: Yuzu is the outlier by any measure, and there's minimal differences between the other 5. Vincent needs to bring that 1-foot time up, though. 

I also watched this video today and also the previous 2017-2018 comparison video from the same channel, and what struck me is that the one-foot skating time of everyone has decreased significantly - of course because the time constriction.. I really wish they hadn't made that change, programs used to feel less rushed.

All of my paid holiday this year is being spent on FS: ice shows, ACI and my one and only remaining day will be spent for ROI in Madrid, to be able to attend both days.

And it seems multiple TV stations have mentioned Yuzu for their morning shows, so we'll be getting something. I'm not holding my breath for program announcements, it could be something for Tour de Tohoku or Ghana or some other sponsor thing. Though, this close to ACI and being covered by multiple sources, it might be something else, too...

As for Yuzu thinking about life after skating, I think not yet. I do think that at the end of this season he will have decided for how much longer he will continue. If he stops after this season, after the next, or tries to go for Beijing. And a lot of it will depend on how the season goes, though I think less depending on results and more depending on his physical status and also the success level of his jumps. I think he will want to continue until he can land all six quads beautifully in competition and I really don't know if that's possible in just one season. Not even for him. But if he's healthy, I think he'll continue and might even try for Beijing. If not, I think he will single-mindedly focus on getting the quads next season and then call it a day. Of course, there's also the possibility he will get tired of the politics, that the ISU and judges might become shameless enough to underscore him obviously, and then he could decide it's not worth his time. But that'd be pretty OOC, IMO. As of right now, health issues aside, I actually expect him to continue at least one more season. But either way, I doubt he'll be thinking of retirement during the season. He'll think about it maybe before the season starts - set his goals and such - and after, but I think during the season, he'll just focus on each competition and the goals he sets for this season.

And a little late to the party, but I said I'd try...

The responses to my confession earlier made me very happy. It is nice to know that there are others with the "correct" priorities like me  :happy:

Now I won't feel any guilt when I block my entire family from our home's wifi so that I can have all the bandwidth for myself and watch the live stream without interruption  :devil3: