General Yuzuru Chat

Sorry to break it to you guys ... But the 4A at the end of day is only worth one mark more than the quad lutz, yet much more difficult to succeed. To get an absolute advantage on BV, he actually do need all of 4lz, 4f and 4A as he aimed himself, since he can't rely on judges to necessarily give him the GOE and PCS advantage anymore (they more than proved their bias at Worlds already). Although once he stabilise any two of the above jumps, he can start thinking about leaving out the 4loop as that jump is hard, dangerous yet not much points.

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

Until they stop performing altogether and just focus on jumping to catch him. :salty:

I hope that doesn't happen. I want to watch figure skating with jumps, not figure jumping. 

Isn't that what most of them are already doing anyway? It's only the few and the proud who are trying to be 'total package' skaters. 

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

And I'd say he knows it, which is why he's going for it.

Absolutely. 

The skaters who I think might possibly have a chance at all of catching him, are all people who currently have major weaknesses to overcome. They've got a long way to go. 

18 minutes ago, Anki said:

Sorry to break it to you guys ... But the 4A at the end of day is only worth one mark more than the quad lutz, yet much more difficult to succeed. To get an absolute advantage on BV, he actually do need all of 4lz, 4f and 4A as he aimed himself, since he can't rely on judges to necessarily give him the GOE and PCS advantage anymore (they more than proved their bias at Worlds already). Although once he stabilise any two of the above jumps, he can start thinking about leaving out the 4loop as that jump is hard, dangerous yet not much points.

Yes yes. But Yuzu already has Lady Lutzifer back and is working on 4F as far as we can tell. I have no, zero, nada, doubts that he can achieve those, and then 4A. So once he has 4A, he'll have all 6 quads to choose from. 

At that point, he will be able to vary his programs as needed (i.e. according to ice conditions) picking and choosing from among the jumps in order to ensure his programs always score the maximum BV possible at any given time, with less risk of injury. 

At least, that's what I am guessing his strategy will become. So, he'll be unbeatable because he will be able to compensate better for the times he's at a disadvantage.

Plus, if he makes a program meant to show off 4A, guaranteed it'll be spectacular in all the other aspects too, and score high no matter what. That's just how he rolls.  

I think Yuzu should drop the 4F, at least for this season.  His 4Lutz probably still needs work for consistency and with 4A in works-  He doesn’t need another quad.

I think he should stop the 4T-3A from a point perspective.  He has a solid 3A and with both in combination or with 1eu and 4 quads, he has a better chance of going clean. If and when he masters the 4A he definitely won’t need the 4F... as I’m typing why do I doubt he’ll drop the 4T-3A...

who am I kidding, he’ll do whatever he wants to do:hachimaki:

I agree with @rockstaryuzu that with 6 different types of quads Yuzu is more flexible in his program layouts and can adapt better to poor ice conditions, opponents etc. However, varying your layout multiple times during the season could lead to more mistakes, too. When you have so many things to focus on, it might be clever to stick with one A plan plus recovery options and build up on that. Yuzu has done that during the 15/16 and 16/17 season and it worked quite well.

I think what he needs next season is a clean competition first of all to slowly up his GOE and PCS back to Barcelona '15 level. His last totally flawless free program was two years ago in Helsinki. For the last fully clean competition you have to go back a full cycle to Barcelona '15. ISU of course can rob you even with clean skates, but they have less options overall :coolio:

2 hours ago, Anki said:

Re the insanely undervalued 4A BV: Yes, that's true. However, I suspect that Yuzu and Brian calculate that Nessie will have a sort of halo effect, leading to higher scoring for the programs overall, including increased PCS as well as better GOE for other elements. Same with having a wider arsenal of jumps. The judges seem more generous to skaters who have a greater variety of quads. 

Of course, there's also the obvious bias toward certain red, white and blue flags *hangs her American head*. But Yuzu can't change that, he can only add more quads in an attempt to compensate. 

Finally, I think reintroducing 4Lz and adding 4F and 4A changes the narrative around him. Instead of the fading star with unimpeachable quality who has been eclipsed by the younger, more technical skaters, he's the indomitable force of nature who simply refuses to bow to time and injury. Any skating bodies (I'm looking at you, ISU and USFSA) that have been flogging the former narrative will have to choke on their words. And that, I'm absolutely sure, is part of his calculations. 

:gla:  :goat:

10 hours ago, kaeryth said:

This spin!!

Love this spin!!! Is it new? I've never seen it before. I'd really like to call this feature "elevator-spin" :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Technically this would count as a valid CCoSp with travelling camel entry, aye? So he could use it in competition... :english1:

11 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

He said he practiced (4A) before the ice shows but there are still many aspects that he feels not enough. And he said 「自分の中では20%もいってないな」now, these his words did not specify what this 20% refers to. He certainly did not say anything about success rate (成功率). So when you think about what is Yuzu's 100% refers to when it comes to his jumps, his 100% would usually include difficult entry and out not to mention it is seamlessly incorporated into the programs. So my take on the actual success rate of 4A for Yuzu is more than 20% (1 in 5). 

While I was having my lunch and came back to finish my post, @KatjaThera had already posted what I was going to say :D I have no doubt that he's landed 4A many times before but not to the standard that he's satisfied for putting into his program.

Also he's said he will take full responsibility for his words (about 4A) and will not change it. He's said 有言実行 (say word with action).

For Yuzu, 4A business is not just one-off thing (landing at a competition with +GOE) but to tame the legendary creature to become one of his weapons. He has said that 4A is no longer a mere dream for him but it is a real thing. I read that as he would like to add 4A just like he acquired other quads.

Go beyond one's ideal even though the ideal exists beyond one's limit. That is what Yuzu's is aiming at. I will triple my prayer for him...

I think you should quadruple your prayers for him...