General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

Obvious answer here is to have Yuzu light the cauldron. Interestingly, that would make two figure skaters in a row who’ve done so (Yuna lit the cauldron at Pyeongchang).

I dont think a Winter Olympic athlete has lighted the cauldron for Summer Olympics before. Most likely they'll get Yuzu to light up the winter Olympics one after he retires

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

Obvious answer here is to have Yuzu light the cauldron. Interestingly, that would make two figure skaters in a row who’ve done so (Yuna lit the cauldron at Pyeongchang).

Though I'm not sure he'd agree to do it - I'm sure I read that when they wanted him to carry the flag at the closing ceremony (can't recall if it was Sochi or PC) he demurred saying he just wanted to enjoy the march past with the others as one competitor among all of Japan's.  And it being the summer Olympics, he might think it would be taking spotlight off the summer Olympians (though I suspect most of them would be thrilled to see him there )

Since Nomura Mansai is choreographing the Olympics Opening Ceremonies - with the expectation that he will integrate Japanese arts and theatre into the programme -  I am hoping that he would include Hanyu-kun in one of the performances. 

On 2019/5/30 at 午後8時8分, SuzyQさんが言いました:

Sorry, guys.  My previous post was not accurate.

Originally, Yuzuru was planning to perform Masquerade on the second day, but the news on his practicing Masquerade was aired before the show, and fans expectations for the POTO program have heightened so much, so he changed the programs as he wanted to respond to expectations, according to this article (if you don't mind this article is from Josei-Seven :tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid: )

This online article has ended halfway, but I read the above content in the actual magazine.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20190530-00000009-pseven-spo

I should have noticed because he had actually got the costume ready :64341262:

Maybe my brain has scorched by having seen his programs, and not working properly.

The rest of the article was released.  FYR.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20190602-00000008-pseven-spo

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20190602-00000018-pseven-spo

8 hours ago, eagle said:

I dont think a Winter Olympic athlete has lighted the cauldron for Summer Olympics before. Most likely they'll get Yuzu to light up the winter Olympics one after he retires

There's always a first time for everything. I think Yuzu is considered to be Japan's most popular and most accomplished athlete and Olympic Champion. On top of this, Yuzu is known for his being a role model, his great character, his contribution to charity etc. This is why he was given the prestigious People's Honor Award. He's definitely one of the favorites to light the cauldron at Tokyo 2020.

Besides, Sapporo already withdrew its candidature for Winter Olympics 2026. So, in the foreseeable future, Tokyo 2020 would be the only opportunity for a Japanese athlete to light the Olympic fire.

6 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

There's always a first time for everything. I think Yuzu is considered to be Japan's most popular and most accomplished athlete and Olympic Champion. On top of this, Yuzu is known for his being a role model, his great character, his contribution to charity etc. This is why he was given the prestigious People's Honor Award. He's definitely one of the favorites to light the cauldron at Tokyo 2020.

Besides, Sapporo already withdrew its candidature for Winter Olympics 2026. So, in the foreseeable future, Tokyo 2020 would be the only opportunity for a Japanese athlete to light the Olympic fire.

They usually don't ask someone who is currently competing to light the fire, though....the symbolism of it is that the flame is passed down from previous competitors to the new ones. So I think it'll be a retired athlete and from a summer sport. 

I have to agree that Yuzu will not be the one lighting the torch.  If Kohei Uchimura is not competing then he's the obvious choice for torch-lighter, although I have to say he's young enough to continue competing.  The other factor is that, as was pointed out, Yuzu remains an active competitor.  There's also the factor that Yuzu will have almost certainly been used at some point when the torch passes through Sendai.  If he were not involved there he would be a fitting choice to be the person who carries the torch into the stadium and passes it on to the torch-lighter.  You can imagine the excitement generated there by the presence of arguably Japan's most popular athlete (or should I say 'most popular person'?)  I can see, however, where there's a way for Yuzu to be the torch-bearer into the stadium, and that is by having him in Sendai receiving the torch as the last torch-bearer of the day finishes up, in this case in Sendai on day three for Miyagi Prefecture, thus Yuzu has not carried the torch.  From there the torch will be transferred by vehicle to the next prefecture on the route.  The planning is for there to be a ceremony at the end of the third day of the torch's relay through that prefecture in preparation for its departure to the next.  Having Yuzu be the one who receives the torch at that event would be fitting, particularly with his identification with the recovery for the whole prefecture (and the other prefectures affected).  That, I think, would clear the way for him to be the one bringing the torch into the stadium.

PS - I think we should start thinking of starting a thread dealing with the Tokyo games.  There is going to be an increasing amount of news and speculation regarding the games and the expected participants so it would be fitting to be ready here for the coming deluge of information (a regular 'Poohburst', we might say).

3 hours ago, ruruzest said:

:cri:

He's such a simple man. *sighs in contentment* But yeah, after a long day, it's really nice to just gather around with the whole family and catch up. Pretty sure he doesn't have much time to bond with his Dad, Sister and Grandparents. ;A; 

And don't tell the overlord, but that metal frame looks better on him than his usual black ones. :10814716: