General Yuzuru Chat

Change of subject – Sendai is releasing more Yuzu transportation tickets, probably in anticipation for an influx of fans for Fantasy on Ice. I'm going to spend a week in Sendai in August. I hope Sendai city government realizes they could sell a lot more of these tickets and prints more by the time I get there.

https://www.kahoku.co.jp/tohokunews/201905/20190528_12023.html

I love LGC so much and rank it almost the same with Chopin in terms of "My Favorite Yuzu Programs".

But I also can't see Masquerade as competition programs, although my reasoning would be a lot shallower than y'all: Masquerade needs to be done under the spotlight. 😜

Anyway, CM has the potential to be his EX, although I'll wait to see what he brings for latter parts of FaOI first. 

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think it still comes down to the skater, the program, and how the music suits both. 

I think whoever said "unconscious bias" got it right. For example, Nathan's FS this season. It sucked! The music was terribly boring, not particularily emotional, not particularily beautiful, a little pop and a little whine from the vocals, I mean... I liked nothing about it. How did it suit the judges's style? I don't know, maybe it was just because Nathan was skating to it. 

And that means 'skater bias'.  

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Okay, but yet H&L did not sound 'Japanese' to me - it sounded like a modern but classical composition. And Seimei couldn't possibly have been any more Japanese and yet it won the Olympics in fine style. 

I think it still comes down to the skater, the program, and how the music suits both. 

Also, ISU needs to start banning warhorses just on the grounds that the recordings are getting worn out. I don't care if I never see another Carmen. 

Hope & Legacy is modern and classical but very Japanese at the same time, really different from modern Western compositions. Seimei is not subtle like H&L and Yuzu had to work on it a lot as it was already pointed out.

Sadly ISU won't start banning warhorses anytime soon, it never happened before.

12 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

....again, someone mentions a song having Japanese lyrics as somehow making it unsuitable for competition. Why? I ask this out of honest curiosity. There have been many skaters in the past who have used pieces with non-English lyrics for their competitions (every piece ever skated to opera comes to mind), WTH would it make a difference if the lyrics were Japanese? 

He just skated a whole season with HYK , which is sung in Japanese, as his EX and no one complained, so What. The. Duck? 

The only things holding Yuzu back from using Masquerade are: 1. Whether he can make it into a competition-ready program, and 2. Whether he can get the performance rights to use it. 

#2, is, in my opinion, the real obstacle. Remember the lengths he had to go to in order for Joe Hisashi to agree to let him use H&L? And remember how Kevin Reynolds had to scrap his programs mid-season last year because Hisashi wouldn't grant him rights? That's where the trouble lies. not 'because the song's in Japanese'. 

Just how prejudiced do you think the rest of the world is? Ayoyoi!

Anyway, the way Toshi is gushing like a newly-minted fanboy over Yuzu, I would not be surprised if he gives Yuzu carte blanche to use any song he likes, for anything he likes. 

I am not prejudiced at all honestly, was just saying that coz we all know Yuzu hadn't used any Japanese lyrics for anything international. Please don't assume the worst in people and be more realistic. We're fellow satellites, no one is better than anyone, just different. There is more than one standard in the world.

I looove Masquerade! I really hope that Yuzu keeps it. This program really shows a new and mature side of him that he hasn't expressed yet. I wanna see this passionate, emotional, fierce and HOT Yuzu again.

Yuzu, if you're lurking out there somewhere: Please keep Masquerade!!! :snonegai:

I don't care what language the songs are that Yuzu skates to as long as he enjoys them. :pouty:

Besides, there are fortunately people who translate and add subs. :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Here's also Crystal Memories with English subs.

I like this program, too. Yuzu's skating is sublime, his performance is exceptional, as always. And the costume is also beautiful and appropriately sparkly. But this kind of program is nothing we haven't seen before. After seeing Masquerade, this feels a bit tame for me.

Anyway, I trust that Yuzu picks the program that feel right for him. And no matter what he chooses to keep, I cheer him on. :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

16 hours ago, eagle said:

Not only that, an Asian athlete doing modern english song might not acceptable too. Yuzuru tried with LGC. Boyang tried it in his SP this season. Did the judges appreciate it? No.

I have to relativize here a little bit.

• No other program from any skater in the +3-system scored better average GOE on successful elements than LGC.
  • Nearly all spins received over 1.00 of maximum 1.50 (that means +2 or +3).
  • 6 of 7 step sequences were called LV4 and he got maximum 2.10 GOE four times! 2.00 in average, which is nearly perfect.
  • His GPF SP received 10.00 three times (from JPN and FRA) despite that shaky 4Lo at the beginning.
  • Even Lorrie Parker gave him +3 for the sequence and 9.75 for performance and... THAT is quite something :laughing:
  • In Helsinki he got two 10.00 (from ITA and FRA), although he had to skate first and made that costly mistake in the combo. Not a single PCS in the 8's.

So you really can't say that the judges didn't like it. I'm sure that a clean version would've scored around 113. 

56 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

I looove Masquerade! I really hope that Yuzu keeps it. This program really shows a new and mature side of him that he hasn't expressed yet. I wanna see this passionate, emotional, fierce and HOT Yuzu again.

Is it really that new? For me it looks like come back to young Romeo.:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

6 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Is it really that new? For me it looks like come back to young Romeo.:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

I don't know... I see it as a completely different kind of passion. Romeo was pure and fierce, Masquarade... that is a flame. Wild, with a touch of danger...

2 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I don't know... I see it as a completely different kind of passion. Romeo was pure and fierce, Masquarade... that is a flame. Wild, with a touch of danger...

Of course it's different. Zuz never had two the same programs. But fire, drama, anger, struggling against adversity - it's good, old Zuzu type of thing.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:15 AM, Paskud said:

Of course it's different. Zuz never had two the same programs. But fire, drama, anger, struggling against adversity - it's good, old Zuzu type of thing.

I see it as autobiographical.  After all, hiding the severity of his injuries for two successive seasons from the world at large, concealing the stress as he worked himself through four years to get that second gold, giving his public only brief glances of the struggle he was having, those were years in which he was wearing a mask and now the mask has been removed.  He's letting us know that it wasn't easy, wasn't easy at all.