General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

I don’t think they pull the likes of Federer/Biles/Uchimura down in the UK either- but if there is a contender from the uk they do talk them up -  Murray/Downie/Whitlock - not as much as the US but there is a flag waving component.  Just not the sense of being entitled to do well and justification (injury, local bias) or blame (the athlete/the coaching programme) when they don’t that you get with US media.

Yes I think that's pretty normal, especially when it comes to big competitions like the Olympics and who watch it are occasional spectators, they try to promote home athletes but there is always a limit :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp: and even if an Italian wins the competition X at the expense of the favorite athlete Y they won't belittle Y or his achievement :scratch3:

I think the Cup of China 2014 pretty much sealed Chinese fans’s love and support for Yuzu. They admired the fighting spirit in this slender boy. Also his dramatic career and warrior spirit really inspire and appeal to lots Chinese fans, reporters whose flowering Chinese language can wax poetry about him.” Fate tells the warrior” you cannot withstand the storm, the warrior whispers back, “ I am the storm”. I met so many Chinese fans at competition. They hand made so many intricate gifts to give out! They paid for the bus ad in Toronto to celebrate Yuzu’s birthday and paid to get his name on a street light in Taiwan. They even have a Yuzu convention in Taiwan, a big one, where fans meet and share gifts!  How adorable is that! 

:embSwan:

On 4/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, mercedes said:

sorry my fault :7938863:

Yuzu has the 'it' factor. 

He is charismatic and mesmerizing on ice. 

He is incredibly athletically and artistically gifted.

He is erudite, thoughtful and insightful off the ice. 

He is intelligent and has emotional intelligence. 

He gives back to his sport, his community and his country. 

He must be a pretty good son and brother for his family members to sacrifice and support his career for such a long time.

He is a high achiever, hardworking, and always working/evolving to become better.  Didn't he mention that he is like a chrysalid in an interview?

Last, he looks like a gentle flower but he is a steel magnolia.(cherry blossum/sakura)

So on the topic of why everyone loves Yuzu.  I happened on this vid of Yuzu when he arrived back to Japan.  He’s only 19....but he takes the time to pose for pictures, shake hands and bow as much as he can, handling the attention from media and fans with poise.