General Yuzuru Chat

31 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think it really depends on what your own movement vocabulary is. HYK might not seem 'masculine', but nothing about it reads as 'girly' to me. Innocence and joy are not limited to femininity. 

Anyone who's watched a two year old boy run around outdoors on a puddle-jumping day will know exactly what I mean. Yuzu retains that quality of accepting wonder in his performances. 

Yeah I usually think of Yuzu in terms of childlike innocence than girly.

15 minutes ago, wildstrawberry said:

your eyes will have to deal with it.the important thing here is what's happening with isu judges eyes when they see those flags

They will suddenly remember Waseda and feel all the love? 

If Jason already had that horrid costume, maybe we should try a more simple and to the point one like so

18 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Out of curiosity, who are the current skaters whose style you enjoy the most, in general? Top 5?

Mine:

1. Yuzu - duh, lol.

2. Junhwan - possibly because he reminds me of Yuzu a tiny bit.

3. Kevin Aymoz

4. Daniel Samohin - I just enjoy his over-dramatic ass.

5. ... Aliev/Kolyada

On that list, I would only consider Samohin to veer towards stereotypically masculine, but it's tempered by his over-the-top drama and costumes. 

And who, in your opinion represents the typically masculine style? I would say Kovtun, Majorov and Bychenko, but I wonder if I just don't subconsciously equate "stocky and without finesse whatsoever" with "stereotypically masculine". From past skaters, who did posess finesse, maybe Patrick and Javi? 

My top 5 :

1. Sendai native alien cat with fitted suit

2. French saucy devil with horns

3. Misha from Russha 

4. Disco Junlieeett

5. Pattinaggio liscio Rizzo

I like Jason and uncle Brezina as well:img_21:

2 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

My top 5 :

1. Sendai native alien cat with fitted suit

2. French saucy devil with horns

3. Misha from Russha 

4. Disco Junlieeett

5. Pattinaggio liscio Rizzo

I like Jason and uncle Brezina as well:img_21:

Yup yup Brezina too i like his skating

51 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Also, sanitation wasn't the same then as it is now. High heels were a practical way to keep your hems out of the questionable muck in the streets of those times. 

Apparently Louis XIV was short and sensitive about his height and so heels became all the rage.

But yeah I watched a documentary about Versailles and it was saying about how all these nobles were packed into the palace w/o proper sanitation and people (especially the men) would just "go" wherever and so the whole palace reeked of urine. 

And... now I'm feeling rather unwell.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Maybe. Reality is that Johnny was that good, and Scott didn't support him even though he was American. 

Also, Adam has never seemed particularly unmacho to me. Someone's sexuality has almost nothing to do with their competitiveness, assertiveness, protectiveness, or any other so-called 'masculine' trait, in my experience. But I come from a land where dainty-looking moms play hockey as roughly and aggressively as Hextall and Domi, so maybe my perception of gender norms is slightly skewed. 

Of course I'm not saying that I think that Adam is unmacho or anything like that, just that in a hypothetical scenario where there's no Nathan and a skater like Adam was the US #1 skater, you'd see someone like Scott and the rest of the US media singing a totally different tune and praising things like artistry instead of being all 'quads quads YALE quads QUADS Yale quads' all the time.

With Johnny, I think people like Scott felt like they didn't need to pretend to support him because they had Evan as the 'masculine' alternative. Of course, the fact that Johnny made it very clear that he didn't intend to tone himself down at all and didn't care if people like Scott objected was a factor as well. Maybe that's another reason why Scott is extra bitter about Yuzu now, because he's keeping Johnny's name out there so much by skating a tribute to him.

7 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Apparently Louis XIV was short and sensitive about his height and so heels became all the rage.

But yeah I watched a documentary about Versailles and it was saying about how all these nobles were packed into the palace w/o proper sanitation and people (especially the men) would just "go" wherever and so the whole palace reeked of urine. 

And... now I'm feeling rather unwell.

Puts a whole new spin on the nobility, doesn't it? 

10 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Hmm....maybe my memory is faulty, but back when I was a kid and watched figure skating, Scotty Hamilton never struck me as projecting all that masculine of an aura himself. Yuzu as Sakura fairy is still 100% more masculine-looking than Scott in his zip-up blue one piece jumpsuit with rainbows across his shoulders.

Oh lordy, I saw this post and instantly went to Google his hyper masculine Cuban Pete costume (shiny bright yellow satin with ruffled sleeves FYI) instead I stumble onto an interview where he says, [admin edit: sorry, politics are not allowed or links]

That just about says it all for me. Definitely time to stop googling Hamilton. It can only get worse from here. 

Help some one! I need happy thoughts to wash my brain out.

3 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Oh lordy, I saw this post and instantly went to Google his hyper masculine Cuban Pete costume (shiny bright yellow satin with ruffled sleeves FYI) instead I stumble onto an interview where he says, [admin edit: sorry, politics are not allowed]

That just about says it all for me. Definitely time to stop googling Hamilton. It can only get worse from here. 

:ohno: 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Isn't that what Raf is going to have? He just got a new rink/facility too. 

Anyway, you can't replicate personalities and a big part of TCC's success is Brian's and Tracy's ways of being. So trying to copy them is a doomed effort. 

As you said, Raf may have the facilities but he doesn't have Brian and Tracy's approach (or their results), and he clearly hasn't created the same welcoming, diverse, respectful community of skaters that exists at TCC. Of course this is only my speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it really annoys someone like Scott that the top coaching facility in skating right now welcomes skaters from all over the world and produces results for so many different countries, while the US has nothing on that level producing results for American skaters. Raf's school clearly has issues, as does Tom Z's, all the top ice dance teams have left for Montreal, and so on. That's no excuse to take it out on someone like Yuzu, but that's Scott Hamilton for you. 

5 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Oh lordy, I saw this post and instantly went to Google his hyper masculine Cuban Pete costume (shiny bright yellow satin with ruffled sleeves FYI) instead I stumble onto an interview where he says, [admin edit: sorry, politics are not allowed]

Help some one! I need happy thoughts to wash my brain out.

:blinkblink:Happy thoughts! Xxx

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

Out of curiosity, who are the current skaters whose style you enjoy the most, in general? Top 5?

I loved Javi's smoothness or finesse if you will. Lovely edge quality. TCC doing right by their skaters.

And can I get some Daisuke drama up in here. Cue the clip where baby Yuzu is watching Dai from the audience and starts giggling like a scandalized little school girl.

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

I ask myself: what's left from the program, if you skip all the jumps or treat them as choreographic touches?

1. Yuzu (won't repeat all 147 reasons)

2. Aymoz (quality seal for most innovative programs and moves)

3. Cizo (I know, it's hard to compare singles and ice dance, but watching Cizo stroking is so satisfying... :8788161:)

4. Jason (love his SP and style in general, the FS not so much)

5. Matteo, Kolyada or Shoma (depends on my daily mood)