General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, Vulnavia said:

As someone who used to be a big Johnny Weir fan, I remember the rumors that went around for years that Scott kept Johnny from ever being invited to the Stars on Ice tour because he thought Johnny was too "flamboyant" for the "family friendly" SOI. So I think part of it is not so much about Yuzu specifically, but about Scott's fairly narrow view of what men's skating should be and look like, and someone who has the confidence to go out and perform beautiful, emotional, sensitive programs while dressed like a sakura fairy doesn't fit into that view. And I think the other part is that Yuzu is a threat to the agenda that Scott and the rest of the US skating community are trying to push. It's a whole lot harder to convince people to believe that Nathan is the best as long as Yuzu remains around actually being the best. 

Hmm....maybe my memory is faulty, but back when I was a kid and watched figure skating, Scotty Hamilton never struck me as projecting all that masculine of an aura himself. Yuzu as Sakura fairy is still 100% more masculine-looking than Scott in his zip-up blue one piece jumpsuit with rainbows across his shoulders.

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Hmm....maybe my memory is faulty, but back when I was a kid and watched figure skating, Scotty Hamilton never struck me a projecting all that masculine of a aura himself. Yuzu as Sakura fairy is still 100% more masculine-looking than Scott in his zip-up blue one piece jumpsuit with rainbows across his shoulders.

:blessyoursoul:

20 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Hmm....maybe my memory is faulty, but back when I was a kid and watched figure skating, Scotty Hamilton never struck me a projecting all that masculine of a aura himself. Yuzu as Sakura fairy is still 100% more masculine-looking than Scott in his zip-up blue one piece jumpsuit with rainbows across his shoulders.

Spoiler

Maybe that's what is bothering him.. . :rofl:

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I completely agree but this is the world of US figure skating we're talking about, where nothing makes sense. I also remember a lot of people thinking that Evan Lysacek's rhinestone snake encrusted costume was the height of ultra macho masculinity :shrug:

Of course, if Nathan and Adam Rippon had traded quads and Adam had been the US #1 for the last few years, or if Yuzu was American, people like Scott would be singing an entirely different tune about the virtues of artistry, sequins, and how awesome it is to see a man do a layback spin, because ultimately having an American be the best is the most important thing to someone like him. 

39 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

As someone who used to be a big Johnny Weir fan, I remember the rumors that went around for years that Scott kept Johnny from ever being invited to the Stars on Ice tour because he thought Johnny was too "flamboyant" for the "family friendly" SOI. So I think part of it is not so much about Yuzu specifically, but about Scott's fairly narrow view of what men's skating should be and look like, and someone who has the confidence to go out and perform beautiful, emotional, sensitive programs while dressed like a sakura fairy doesn't fit into that view. And I think the other part is that Yuzu is a threat to the agenda that Scott and the rest of the US skating community are trying to push. It's a whole lot harder to convince people to believe that Nathan is the best as long as Yuzu remains around actually being the best. 

weir wasn't his only victim.i wish i could find that ontd post i read some time ago where some american fs fans were spilling the tea about hamilt*n's ways in the comments.i've been super wary of this dude ever since and whatever bullshit comments he makes about yuzu is the least unexpected thing given his awful views.

Just now, wildstrawberry said:

weir wasn't his only victim.i wish i could find that ontd post i read some time ago where some american fs fans were spilling the tea about hamilt*n's ways in the comments.i've been super wary of this dude ever since and whatever bullshit comments he makes about yuzu is the least unexpected thing giving his awful views.

I probably read the same post :giggle:

I also remember hearing a lot of talk last year about Scott wanting to set up a training center in the US that would basically be like the American equivalent of TCC and just as successful. Obviously that's not happening and it's highly unlikely that it ever will, so there may be some personal bitterness behind his comments about Yuzu as well. 

Idea of beauty differs from person to person. What's norm to someone could change over the time as well. And you'd need a courage to accept something that is outside their belief. People can be very defensive and dismissive when they see things that can threaten their own belief. But the people who know what other people believe is just as much as important to them as their own would learn to respect it. I'm not talking about religion but for some, the smallest disagreement could end their world or something that they absolutely have to defend, or so it seems.

I don't have time for those people who actively discredit someone or something because they don't recognise its value. You can admire something or someone without disparaging others. Appreciating something can be shared with many others but finding something beautiful is essentially a very personal experience as it is subjective what beauty is to someone. I don't need anybody to tell me what's beautiful and what's not as I'm capable of seeing it myself :war:  

5 時間前, rockstaryuzuさんが言いました:

That being said, I take issue with Scott's comments from a different perspective. Saying anyone is 'unbeatable' is always demonstrably false ( even saying it about Yuzu...reality is that this is figure skating and winning or losing is the judge's hands, not the skater's.).

Recently I've been wondering about this word "unbeatable". Japanese media loves to hype the skaters and create intense rivalry, but as far as I know, they don't say "unbeatable" or "no one can beat that!" for any skater during their commentaries or in TV shows, which I think is fair and respectable in a way. Skaters are human, the ice is slippery, and no one knows how the judges will work...

5 minutes ago, yude said:

Recently I've been wondering about this word "unbeatable". Japanese media loves to hype the skaters and create intense rivalry, but as far as I know, they don't say "unbeatable" or "no one can beat that!" for any skater during their commentaries or in TV shows, which I think is fair and respectable in a way. Skaters are human, the ice is slippery, and no one knows how the judges will work...

It seems to me that even Yuzu would never have said he's unbeatable.  He's been beaten often enough to know that.  Unlike Dick Button who so dominated men's skating back then that the contest essentially was for 2nd place, Yuzu lives in a time when men's skating worldwide has great depth with a number of skaters being seen as likely podium placers.  What Yuzu does have is  a focus that enables him to assume he'll medal and what color depends on how the other skaters do.  He knows that NHK 2015 and GPF 2015 were for him a perfect storm (just look at the margin of victory there).  He can't count on that.  I don't think he targets individual skaters as he's putting together programs but instead, I think, he targets himself.  Trying to put together something that if he skates clean he'll do better than he's ever done before, thus the backloading of spins and step sequence and such in Otonai which allowed him to skate a program where music and motion were about as tightly bound as you'll ever see in figure skating.  He took a chance in putting his jumps early and it did pay off.  Yuzu knows that he is beatable but that he can take steps that make beating him a very tall order.  Even now I don't think any skater is training to beat Nathan.  Nathan does not have anywhere near the track record Yuzu has.  He's still the one to beat and it's my bet that Yuzu is trying to beat himself as much as any of his competitors.

Lol, Scott Hamilton.

From what I heard, the dude's practically homophobic - excuse me for calling a spade a spade - and probably can't stand the fact that the most accomplished skater in the modern era, lauded as the best of all time and arguably the focus of the greatest adoration a figure skater has ever experienced, is one that doesn't represent and doesn't give a flying f**** about the stereotypical masculinity.

5 hours ago, Vulnavia said:

Yes Scott does seem to have issues with non-conformist or more "flamboyant" skaters.

From past statements he seems to be deeply insecure about being a straight male of a somewhat small delicate stature participating in a sport that is perceived as being predominantly gay. He's worried that people will think he's gay so he always pushing for more "masculine" styles, whatever that means.

Its the fragile male ego thing. The man just needs to chill. You can be straight and a figure skater or you can be gay for that matter too, I couldn't care less.