General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, LourdesMoon said:

I don't know if this has been discussed..sorry if it has already...but what happened with the NBC broadcast. Usually there is always something said by Tara or Johnny that offends me and other fans in some way or is noteworthy or maybe even complimentary towards Yuzuru. I've seen nothing stated by them...I have heard what CBC said however...opinions/ thoughts? Was the NBC broadcast just the regular patriotic/nationalistic stuff we always hear? 

They said nice things about him actually.  Before Yuzu skated Terry said we're looking at someone considered by many to be the greatest of all time.  I'll record it with my phone and post it.  On the flip side I haven't heard CBC's thoughts, ROFL. 

4 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I fully expected the Plushy tribute when it came to be a SEx Bomb ex, and I'm still not ruling it out. I take full responsibility if that happens, I've been putting it out into the universe for years now. :D 

Look, I know @wildstrawberry has come out claiming to be the one speaking Zu's 4F! into existence. But this one, THIS ONE, is going to be totally on you. I canNOT believe... Huff!

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, at SCI last fall I had a very illuminating conversation with a much older lady who'd been following figure skating for a very long time. When I mentioned that I was a Hanyu fan, she sniffed and made it clear that she wasn't impressed. She literally had this expression on her face like "you seemed like such a sensible person, and then you had to go and say that."  Not being entirely dense, I sensed her disapproval and said, "I see you're not a fan." She didn't want to come out and say directly what it was she didn't like about him, just that she didn't, and that she had no time for fanyus. But she was a Medvedeva fan, and so she and I kept on talking, and eventually one thing became clear:

She didn't like Yuzu or his fans, not because of his skating,  but because she didn't like the change they represent for her way of experiencing the sport. Or rather, she didn't like that he was A change, any change....and a light bulb went off for me. You see, there's a huge contigent of FS people - fans, officials, whatever - who are actually very stick-in-the-mud types. They remind me of the people who think classical ballet is the only kind of ballet, that everything after Debussy is a travesty of music. They LIKE FS always being the same. Of course they want to see excellence, but only within the narrowly defined bounds that they are used to thinking of as figure skating. They want to sit peacefully in the stands at competitions, tucked under a blanket with their thermos of coffee, and clap politely, and generally behave as if it was opera they were going to see.

And Yuzu and the fanyus have taken their cozy little world and smashed it upside down. So their resentment is understandable. They thought they had a nice sedate hobby and now look what they get! 

You could almost feel sorry for them, except for the fact that they're so wrong...

Spoiler

That's interesting, cz my experience at The Hague Challenge Cup* was almost the opposite. I sat down beside a much older gentleman (who came to the venue completely prepared with snacks, blanket, what-have-you, mistook me for a Japanese, which... fine, I am an Asian with sorta east Asian features, so ok.). We started talking about everything really, and it gets to the point of how to differentiate jumps, steps, spins, etc. He was very appreciative that I could tell what jumps which skaters did. He said after years and years of watching, he could count the rotations, but in recognising types, he can only be sure of the axels. He recognised the Japanese skaters' superiority in that competition, and praised their significant presence as a skating powerhouse of modern day skating. He said the skating landscape has changed a lot since the day he was an athlete himself (did speed skating, tho, not figure skating), which was some 40+ years ago. But he is happy that it seems to be on its way of reaching global recognition and that it now includes more than just the west. He was amazed at and happy with the younger crowd and the Japanese crowd who came to watch, even if he has to find a better way to store his gigantic bag (filled with aforementioned snacks and warm things lol).

My point is, it is totally possible to be an 'old' fan of this sport, see it changed, and be happy about it, even if it now inconveniences you to enjoy it. It's a choice, and some people choose wrong.

*Much smaller comps, I know... so maybe that's a factor too.

Under spoiler, cz.. it's rather OT...?

8 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

She didn't like Yuzu or his fans, not because of his skating,  but because she didn't like the change they represent for her way of experiencing the sport. Or rather, she didn't like that he was A change, any change....and a light bulb went off for me. You see, there's a huge contigent of FS people - fans, officials, whatever - who are actually very stick-in-the-mud types. They remind me of the people who think classical ballet is the only kind of ballet, that everything after Debussy is a travesty of music. They LIKE FS always being the same. Of course they want to see excellence, but only within the narrowly defined bounds that they are used to thinking of as figure skating. They want to sit peacefully in the stands at competitions, tucked under a blanket with their thermos of coffee, and clap politely, and generally behave as if it was opera they were going to see.

And Yuzu and the fanyus have taken their cozy little world and smashed it upside down. So their resentment is understandable. They thought they had a nice sedate hobby and now look what they get! 

When there were only a handful of tossies (one, two stems of roses and an occasional chocolate box) thrown it would still be a dainty affair. But with Yuzu and the scale of the Pooh raining down the rink it has become a rowdy affair (at least for these stuffy audience).

And it isn't like Yuzu is the only one getting this treatment, other skaters get it too (albeit at a smaller scale). Boyang with the Spiderman (and then guitar) plushies, Marin with Pikachu, etc. , you name them. Gift throwing has been around for a long time, and with the change of time it would not be so weird to see the nature of the activity changed :shrug:

I pitied* those uppity audiences, it is their loss to be unable to appreciate a completely new realm of beauty in figure skating...

*More like contemptuously sneering and laughing at their faces really...

7 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Look, I know @wildstrawberry has come out claiming to be the one speaking Zu's 4F! into existence. But this one, THIS ONE, is going to be totally on you. I canNOT believe... Huff!

Hide contents

That's interesting, cz my experience at The Hague Challenge Cup* was almost the opposite. I sat down beside a much older gentleman (who came to the venue completely prepared with snacks, blanket, what-have-you, mistook me for a Japanese, which... fine, I am an Asian with sorta east Asian features, so ok.). We started talking about everything really, and it gets to the point of how to differentiate jumps, steps, spins, etc. He was very appreciative that I could tell what jumps which skaters did. He said after years and years of watching, he could count the rotations, but in recognising types, he can only be sure of the axels. He recognised the Japanese skaters' superiority in that competition, and praised their significant presence as a skating powerhouse of modern day skating. He said the skating landscape has changed a lot since the day he was an athlete himself (did speed skating, tho, not figure skating), which was some 40+ years ago. But he is happy that it seems to be on its way of reaching global recognition and that it now includes more than just the west. He was amazed at and happy with the younger crowd and the Japanese crowd who came to watch, even if he has to find a better way to store his gigantic bag (filled with aforementioned snacks and warm things lol).

My point is, it is totally possible to be an 'old' fan of this sport, see it changed, and be happy about it, even if it now inconveniences you to enjoy it. It's a choice, and some people choose wrong.

*Much smaller comps, I know... so maybe that's a factor too.

Under spoiler, cz.. it's rather OT...?

Yes, that one would absolutely be on me and if that one comes true, I'm setting up a tent to tell fortunes or something. Use my gifts for good. Or perhaps truer to myself, for evil. :D I will be a true agent of chaos. I cannot wait. 

(That's a really nice anecdote, too! I'm glad you met somebody that nice. Maybe it's the difference between the self-appointed expert-gatekeepers and the people who just genuinely enjoy watching skating!) 

3 minutes ago, wildstrawberry said:

THEY know !!!!

Yes! It's no wonder that the Olympic Channel has been milking Yuzu's popularity especially since Pyeongchang. Whenever they publish some Yuzu related content, they get a huge response from people, and not just his fans. And rightly so. I often get the feeling that the Olympics social media is run by total fanyus. :knc_yuzu2:

This is why it's even more astounding to me as to why the JSF and ISU seem to be unaware of just how popular and beloved Yuzu is all over the world. I've seen tweets under this new hashtag #LoveYuzuruFromAllOverTheWorld from fans literally all over the world, even one from Nepal!

He's figure skating's greatest superstar by far, the one skater who sells thousands and thousands of tickets, the one skater who's even transcended the sport and is famous and popular beyond skating. And yet both the JSF and ISU totally underappreciate Yuzu, his accomplishments and what he's done for the sport and for them.

But the main thing is that we love and appreciate Yuzu... and obviously the Olympic Channel loves him too! :dancingpooh:

8 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Yes! It's no wonder that the Olympic Channel has been milking Yuzu's popularity especially since Pyeongchang. Whenever they publish some Yuzu related content, they get a huge response from people, and not just his fans. And rightly so. I often get the feeling that the Olympics social media is run by total fanyus. :knc_yuzu2:

This is why it's even more astounding to me as to why the JSF and ISU seem to be unaware of just how popular and beloved Yuzu is all over the world. I've seen tweets under this new hashtag #LoveYuzuruFromAllOverTheWorld from fans literally all over the world, even one from Nepal!

He's figure skating's greatest superstar by far, the one skater who sells thousands and thousands of tickets, the one skater who's even transcended the sport and is famous and popular beyond skating. And yet both the JSF and ISU totally underappreciate Yuzu, his accomplishments and what he's done for the sport and for them.

But the main thing is that we love and appreciate Yuzu... and obviously the Olympic Channel loves him too! :dancingpooh:

Our efforts of instantly responding Yuzu related news etc has not gone to a waste apperently, they are well aware of the attention^^

13 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

:LOL:

In reality I'm literally old enough to be his mom, so these posts are purely for the sake of the laughs...

I'm definately old enough to be his Mom too..... All posts in jest.  My youngest is 23 and trained as a choreographer.  If only he'd taken to the ice.  I could have made him some lovely costumes.  :10814716: