General Yuzuru Chat

Thanks for the info on ACI. And yes, I totally second removing the hockey glass!

I also had a question for all of you. My sister was asking me about Ghislain and whether he had a competitive figure skating career. I couldn't find much info on him, so I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone have any information on what he did before coaching at TCC, and how he came to be a jump coach? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Wow. Do they not understand that a)megastars aren't made, they just happen, and b  ) you have to have one first (Yuzu) in order for there to be more? 

That explains why Shoma's suddenly being pushed forward more... they're hoping for magic lightning to strike a second time. My fear is that they start thinking they can manufacture skating stars like pop idols, Johnny's-style. 

I think their reason is more reasonable is that Yuzu will retire (like Shizuka and Mao did) and they need new faces for Japan Skating. But the truth is we all know, megastars do not rain down every season. Even a huge sport like tennis only has ONE Federer, ONE Nadal, One Novak and they consider it a HUGE blessing. FS is a much smaller sport we cannot expect many megastars appear like mushrooms. 

I think the method JSF is approaching is not smart. The only way for them to develop a strong skating nation is to push all disciplines like the US, Russia, and Canada have been doing. They want to be considered a true powerhouse in the skating world, they need ice dance and pairs. Their unbalance support make them less powerful and less influential compared to the top 3 nations. 

8 hours ago, Bilge said:
Edit: Just noticed i put the wrong link sorry, fixed

How can people talk about such think do they even think what they are saying? 

It's not lost on me that they don't even mention Hanyu's name there, just say 'current era'....just a touch of microaggression there, hmm? 

1 hour ago, sallycinnamon said:

Next season ACI will be between 12-14 September in Oakville

https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/20654-isu-communication-2234/file

Arrgghh. Oakville again?  That place is a hotel room desert! 

Although I am glad they've moved it up a weekend. 

I notice Cup of China is back. I guess they and the Chinese fed have sorted out their differences. I would have thought they'd stick with Helsinki though.

3 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Does Yuzu only attend ACI for the challenger series now? Do you think he will participate in more smaller comps next year leading to the grandprx to test the new jumps?

Honestly, who knows? Brian's strategy is to get his skaters out early so they have time to work out the problems with their new programs before hitting big international competitions but it doesn't necessarily have to be at ACI. 

Just now, rockstaryuzu said:

Honestly, who knows? Brian's strategy is to get his skaters out early so they have time to work out the problems with their new programs before hitting big international competitions but it doesn't necessarily have to be at ACI. 

lol yeah i know its silly to ask. but I have been seeing him picking ACI for the past couple of seasons now. I guess my question is can he compete in more than 1 challenger series? for selfish personal reasons, I do want to see him compete before Sept. or as many times this year as possible. I also wish he can just compete at competitions where he has a chance to win even with a couple mistakes. And even if he loses i dont mind honestly. it doesnt always have to be gold or at big comps. just want him to be prepared and compete as many times while he is still young. 

52 minutes ago, meoima said:

I think their reason is more reasonable is that Yuzu will retire (like Shizuka and Mao did) and they need new faces for Japan Skating. But the truth is we all know, megastars do not rain down every season. Even a huge sport like tennis only has ONE Federer, ONE Nadal, One Novak and they consider it a HUGE blessing. FS is a much smaller sport we cannot expect many megastars appear like mushrooms. 

I think the method JSF is approaching is not smart. The only way for them to develop a strong skating nation is to push all disciplines like the US, Russia, and Canada have been doing. They want to be considered a true powerhouse in the skating world, they need ice dance and pairs. Their unbalance support make them less powerful and less influential compared to the top 3 nations. 

But the reality is that in Canada and the US, the current system for skater development is something that grew organically over the past 50 - 100 years, with periodic investment from various levels of government. And in Russia, the Soviet system of training athletes the way one might recruit and train an army has shaped the system they have today. And even then, the only one of those three that reliably produces top athletes is the Russian one. And all three countries are winter countries to begin with, where most of the people go out and do things like skating for relaxation and enjoyment every day, and there's a large base of athletes to choose from.

If JSF is trying to do it from scratch according to some artificial template of success, they have their work cut out for  them and no mistake.