General Yuzuru Chat

I have to better analyze this and maybe some native speaker can take a look at the original article, but my first impression is that it's not really as bad as it's made out to be...

The last part particularly... I mean, given that everyone retires eventually, focusing 100% on just one star means they'll be completely lost when that star retires. If you want an example look at Spain. Because there was no investment in upcoming skaters, now that Javi is retired, they're back to zero. And then, any federation should want to aim to have skaters where each and every one of them has a good chance of winning.

As for the beginning, yes, taking the credit is not ideal, but they're mostly doing it for the skaters who train in Japan, who have Japanese coaches and are generally more federation focused. Though at the end of the day they did support Yuzu in going to Canada, too, as they supported their other skaters. The fed does nothing to help them from a political pov and yes there are still many things to improve, but we can't really say they haven't done anything. IMO, this was just team speak. As in, we Team Japan achieved this.

I agree the organization of Worlds seems to have been an epic disaster, but I think this article has led to more knee-jerk reactions.

Also, while I know the twitter poster is someone trustworthy, I personally have issues with anyone who provides translations without an easy link to the source. Most people do not have the patience to type out a link by hand like that, so they'll choose to believe the translation.

That said, native speakers' take on this is greatly welcome.

9 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I have to better analyze this and maybe some native speaker can take a look at the original article, but my first impression is that it's not really as bad as it's made out to be...

The last part particularly... I mean, given that everyone retires eventually, focusing 100% on just one star means they'll be completely lost when that star retires. If you want an example look at Spain. Because there was no investment in upcoming skaters, now that Javi is retired, they're back to zero. And then, any federation should want to aim to have skaters where each and every one of them has a good chance of winning.

As for the beginning, yes, taking the credit is not ideal, but they're mostly doing it for the skaters who train in Japan, who have Japanese coaches and are generally more federation focused. Though at the end of the day they did support Yuzu in going to Canada, too, as they supported their other skaters. The fed does nothing to help them from a political pov and yes there are still many things to improve, but we can't really say they haven't done anything. IMO, this was just team speak. As in, we Team Japan achieved this.

I agree the organization of Worlds seems to have been an epic disaster, but I think this article has led to more knee-jerk reactions.

Also, while I know the twitter poster is someone trustworthy, I personally have issues with anyone who provides translations without an easy link to the source. Most people do not have the patience to type out a link by hand like that, so they'll choose to believe the translation.

That said, native speakers' take on this is greatly welcome.

Nah, I think they have their points about not focusing on one star and they have their reasons to be proud of their system etc but their wording is the most troublesome. Same meaning could be re-written differently and make it sound more reasonable.

As a federation, they deserve to get some credit and it is fine but their words combine with all the things happen before, during, and after WC make the whole thing look worse. Like they want to have many megastars but what have they done for their skaters? They could easily take credits for themselves but with different wording, note that they have other ways to word it around and still make people see "Oh, JSF have worked so hard". Also, the JSF VP's posts which fueled fans' reaction, the organization issues. It's a whole mess when they combine everything together. Like "What you said before the WC" vs "What you have done at the WC".

What sounds annoying the most is their attitude towards the whole thing.

Also, the link to the source was posted on Twitter earlier in other several posts, you just did not follow it. Twitter has limited characters so they have to calculate every word they post on Twitter, hence the final post included the link in the screenshot. 

51 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Also, yet another frustrating thing from Worlds organization... :animated-smileys-angry-041:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkatingPooh/status/1110735823282946048

Who would have known if the event was such a messy affair...

Wow! I would've thought that a large scale international event like this would be really well organized in Japan. Apparently not... :yznotimpressed:

In hindsight, I'm actually glad that I didn't win any tickets in the lottery and didn't go.

This is really embarassing for Japanese organizers, especially considering the Tokyo Olympics next year.

4 minutes ago, meoima said:

Nah, I think they have their points about not focusing on one star and they have their reasons to be proud of their system etc but their wording is the most troublesome. Same meaning could be re-written differently and make it sound more reasonable.

As a federation, they deserve to get some credit and it is fine but their words combine with all the things happen before, during, and after WC make the whole thing look worse. Like they want to have many megastars but what have they done for their skaters? They could easily take credits for themselves but with different wording, note that they have other ways to word it around and still make people see "Oh, JSF have worked so hard".

What sounds annoying the most is their attitude towards the whole thing.

Also, the link to the source was posted on Twitter earlier in other several posts, you just did not follow it. Twitter has limited characters so they have to calculate every word they post on Twitter, hence the final post included the link in the screenshot. 

I looked through several of the twitter posts in the thread and found no link. I don't think the link should require that much searching when finding a translation, but that's just IMO.

I agree the wording is maybe not the most fortunate, but I think the reaction is disproportional to it. By all means, crucify JSF for not supporting their skaters politicially, for inner faction wars and so on. But for badly worded statements?

On top of that, I believe it's worth noting that Tokyo Sports, the source of the article is, like most Japanese sports newspapers, also a tabloid of sorts and is not a stranger to twisting words or even making up stories. I'm not saying they did it now, but fans are just so quick to bring out their pitchforks these days that it's getting mildly annoying. Yes, we're all upset, but we need to chill a bit and stop blowing up at every little thing, especially when they're not as clear cut as they're made out to be.

17 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I looked through several of the twitter posts in the thread and found no link. I don't think the link should require that much searching when finding a translation, but that's just IMO.

I agree the wording is maybe not the most fortunate, but I think the reaction is disproportional to it. By all means, crucify JSF for not supporting their skaters politicially, for inner faction wars and so on. But for badly worded statements?

On top of that, I believe it's worth noting that Tokyo Sports, the source of the article is, like most Japanese sports newspapers, also a tabloid of sorts and is not a stranger to twisting words or even making up stories. I'm not saying they did it now, but fans are just so quick to bring out their pitchforks these days that it's getting mildly annoying. Yes, we're all upset, but we need to chill a bit and stop blowing up at every little thing, especially when they're not as clear cut as they're made out to be.

The link was shared in other posts in other threads. Twitter is messy like that. This was the main reason I used to hate twitter a while ago. It was difficult to keep track with posts and replies.

Also, per my understanding, many sport newspapers in Japan are half-half. Sometimes they have ok news and sometimes not. There is almost no "absolutely trustworthy". As I have said, it's not just the wording, but "the thing you have said before WC" vs "the thing you have done for WC".

Most people who replied said they understand JSF's need to continue the line, to push for many skaters etc. BUT... in the end what have they done? The whole thing actually focused more on ladies, and they ended up without any lady on the podium. Yes, unwanted issues happen, but they all combine. 

Also, the majority of that interview was posted in quotation mark, so it is not really correct to say all the words were twisted.

8 minutes ago, meoima said:

The link was shared in other posts in other threads. Twitter is messy like that. This was the main reason I used to hate twitter a while ago. It was difficult to keep track with posts and replies.

Also, per my understanding, many sport newspapers in Japan are half-half so you have to take it into granted. As I have said, it's not just the wording, but "the thing you have said before WC" vs "the thing you have done for WC".

Most people who replied said they understand the need to continue the line, to push for many skaters at once. BUT... in the end what have they done? 

Also, the majority of that interview was posted in quotation mark, so it is not really correct to say all the words were twisted.

Quotation marks doesn't mean that is exactly what was said. It should be, but it's not. And I can actually say that from personal experience. I was interviewed by Nikkan Sports in Sendai for the parade and what I said and what was published was not the same. And actually, I was also interviewed by New York Times at NHK '17 and again, what I said and what was published was not the same. It's sadly common 'journalism' nowadays and not typical of a country or other. But again, I didn't say they were, I just pointed out that there is a possibility they might have been.

Has there been any other media source posting these comments? That's often an argument in favor of the story being accurate. (Though far from a confirmation, because sometimes all newspapers will run with a story that is too good to pass even without verifying accuracy.)

As for the sports newspapers, everyone is free to choose what approach they take. I personally take everything they write with a big dose of salt. It seems safer that way.

As for pushing for many skaters... I doubt he ever meant that politically. He meant by providing training grounds and coaching options and choreographers and finances. And the Japanese skaters were in the top, they just didn't get to the very top. Unless there was some failure on this front last week, I don't really get it...

25 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

We should have a streaming party of Yuzu's performances and after every performance, we should fill Twitter with a virtual Pooh rain. :D Nobody can complain about that, can they? 

THAT WOULD BE FUN