General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, airi said:

he said that you only become the true champion when you win the Olympics (which was very smug and awesome, but I think he actually was just honest, not shading anyone lolol) and he can't wait to see who will become the champion in Beijing. He has no plan for it right now, yes or no, and frankly I'd really want to stop them asking him this question.

Oh thanks I want too look at the full context to understand clearer what he had said before.

19 minutes ago, anyanee said:

Guys , do you have a context about what yuzu said at the press conference about the olympic? Somethings is getting out of hand in twitter...

This pretty much matches what I heard (somehow couldn't get this without the first tweet):

4 minutes ago, anyanee said:

Oh thanks I want too look at the full context to understand clearer what he had said before.

I was watching this live, and it did seem that he was referring to himself that he didn't consider himself a true champion unless he won the Olympics, and I don't think he was throwing shade at Nathan. But I can see how it could be perceived that way.  I think he realised after he said it though because he made a few funny faces once he finished speaking.

Yuzu's comments were completely frank and reasonable in context. I think it's something that sounds egotistical to non-athletes and especially when taken away from the question and the rest of what he said (and even what Nathan said kind of reinforced it), but what Yuzu meant, Nathan and Vincent and any of the other skaters would likely understand completely.

The Olympics are the ultimate prize, the top of the mountain that has Worlds close to, but not quite at, its peak. It's wonderful to win other competitions, and you can be a champion of lots of things and feel very proud, but 'Olympic Champion' will always be the #1 goal of an elite athlete and will always be the first thing on their resume for the rest of their lives if they win. Why did Patrick Chan, with his illustrious list of accomplishments and World titles, not feel peace until he had that Pyeongchang team gold in his hand? Why did Aljona Savchenko, with her amazing career, burn with kuyashii and keep going and going and going past the age when most other people would have quit, until she got Olympic gold? Because then -- you really feel like the champion you wanted to be. You really are the champion of all champions.

There isn't one skater at that competition who wouldn't feel a smidgen taller with Olympic gold around their neck than a gold from Saitama Worlds. I bet anything Yuzu would have traded his two Worlds golds for that Pyeongchang title in a second if he'd had to; it's that important to him. Yuzu isn't sugarcoating it or even necessarily tooting his own horn. He's telling us how an athlete at his level honestly feels.

For someone with high standards for himself, I can see that he would never consider himself a true champion unless he won Olys... and for him he probably meant winning two before he would be a real champion. Other people of course, depending on their own goals, might consider achieving a medal as enough to make them a champion. I do not see it as throwing shade on Nathan, but for people looking for that from him, it could easily be perceived that way.

@WinForPooh your wish is my command! (I've made the video you asked for)

Here are the three World Medallists' free programs, except that I cut out all of their jumps and spins. AKA in this video you'll see all of their skating in-between. I also wrote at the bottom the marks that each skater got for TR, SS, PE, IN, CO and STSQ and CHSQ GOEs.

It's unlisted because I don't want ISU to delete my channel, but you may reupload it or share it elsewhere.

(btw I'm sorry for the low quality)

7 hours ago, Xen said:

No it wasn't, judging by the fact US men's barely had any calls,  the better description would be uncle sam had a knife to the TP and judges throat. 

Almost all JPN skaters who have a rep to UR got called- Shoma and Satton for example. Meanwhile US skaters received fewer calls than normal. USfed was super determined, first in the 4CC SP and now at WC. This is just disgusting-yes skating is kind of dying in the US and maybe USFSA wants revival, but honestly, this is not how you do it. Plus all the Eunsoo stuff. What the heck has USFSA become?

As an American who watched their first Worlds and is discovering figure skating, I am shocked and appalled by my federation's possible behavior in influencing judging and their treatment of abuse allegations (oh, we haven't even gotten to the Coughlin stuff).  FYI I count US figure skaters, coaches and choreographers, past and present, as part of the "federation".  

The only bright spot for me was Nathan Chen, a deserved champion who acts with class.  He deals with insane US media/TV/Fed who can't market figure skating to save their lives and put him with unnecessary pressure. He deals with a crazy coach, questionable teammates, and a meddling family.  He deals with school. He deals with injuries, well, more in the past, because of the quads, etc.  He deals with Vera Wang costuming which is beyond ugly and, frankly, not functional for figure skating. [Admin edit: assumption/not appropriate for this forum]  Let us praise him for rising above all of this garbage and being a good sport and a worthy opponent to our beloved Yuzu.  Now if only the judges would be educated and fair in following the ISU judging rules...

3 hours ago, AKC said:

As an American who watched their first Worlds and is discovering figure skating, I am shocked and appalled by my federation's possible behavior in influencing judging and their treatment of abuse allegations (oh, we haven't even gotten to the Coughlin stuff).  FYI I count US figure skaters, coaches and choreographers, past and present, as part of the "federation".  

The only bright spot for me was Nathan Chen, a deserved champion who acts with class.  He deals with insane US media/TV/Fed who can't market figure skating to save their lives and put him with unnecessary pressure. He deals with a crazy coach, questionable teammates, and a meddling family.  He deals with school. He deals with injuries, well, more in the past, because of the quads, etc.  He deals with Vera Wang costuming which is beyond ugly and, frankly, not functional for figure skating. [Admin edit: assumption/not appropriate for this forum] Let us praise him for rising above all of this garbage and being a good sport and a worthy opponent to our beloved Yuzu.  Now if only the judges would be educated and fair in following the ISU judging rules...

Well, you can definitely be proud of Nathan. He's a great a great athlete, and as far as I can tell, he seems like a good person. I doubt he merely "deals" with the VW costumes though. That one is for sure on him :devil3: Jokes aside, Yuzu wasn't shading Nathan in the press conference. He was 100% talking about how he views himself, and he's known for his crazy personal standards.

2 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Well, you can definitely be proud of Nathan. He's a great a great athlete, and as far as I can tell, he seems like a good person. I doubt he merely "deals" with the VW costumes though. That one is for sure on him :devil3: Jokes aside, Yuzu wasn't shading Nathan in the press conference. He was 100% talking about how he views himself, and he's known for his crazy personal standards.

Those Vera Wang costumes - yuck - he had to pull his shirt down during the US Nationals LP during a spin because it was coming up and exposing his mid section.  I hadn't seen anything can that before and, scarily, have heard rumors she has made 30 (!) costumes for his programs.  He needs to burn the costumes and start anew (lol).

Signing off - for good - following only Yuzu and Zhenya now from non American sources and no more  "blogging". I'm making drastic changes in my life (moving away, changing careers, taking time off).  It took two decades - I'm a fighter - but I finally hit the wall; handling many surgeries, procedures, including two ankle/foot surgeries, coming back time after time to a major corporation hospital sales job - it's finally too hard. Yuzu and Evgenia's stories/programs from Worlds have inspired me to move forward again, but be a better, more real version of myself.

I can relate to both of them and am terrified for Yuzu, but I take from Yuzu the interview with PJ after the LP, "what do you love about skating" - his answers, that all that matters...

I just want to say I can’t wait to see the day when Yuzu basically kills the system once again with his incredible skate and leaves without turning back. Imagine if Yuzu skates his grand plan into existence (yup perfect skate with all those quads) before the Olympic season and he just goes “ok, I have done everything I want in this sport, now it’s time for me to challenge other things in life” and ditches the whole sport right before Olympics. That would be the biggest revenge to this ISU ridiculousness.

ISU said before they were changing the system to accommodate the tech changes in the field and to make sure it’s not all about tech. But clearly we can see that they change the system to crown a new star and turn the previous/ current star into dust. They didn’t show any appreciation to Yuzu. They only mention Yuzu when they need attention. So yeah imagine when Yuzu hypes everyone with his complete package (high tech + PC) and just leaves. Like did you all remember PC? How he brought the spotlight to figure skate discipline when he arrived? Yeah can’t wait for ISU to finally miss that