General Yuzuru Chat

After having a micro meltdown this morning (only micro because it was a beautiful performance, but still a meltdown because Yuzu won't be happy with it!), I had to run to work. And, in a strange way, it helped me. I had to focus on something else rather than drown in my own negative feelings so I didn't have time to panic about the situation. I'm much calmer now.

I trust Yuzu to show his fighting spirit on Saturday. Whether victory is at the end or not, I know he'll fight for it. He's human (as much as we like to joke about it), he can't win every time and mistakes will happen sometimes. The pop was costly, it is what it is. But he'll give it his all on the FP, and I'll definitely be watching and cheering for him behind my little screen, hoping for a small miracle. Yes, chances are kinda small (yeah, looking at you judges for overscored GOEs and PCs), but not desperate. Yuzu won't back up from a challenge anyway. I'm sure he'll go for the risky moves. He'll show his heart and talent. His love for figure skating and his desire to win.

So I say:  BRING IT ON!!! :fire:

My one piece of unsolicited advice is that if you're feeling down, resist the impulse that some of us have to torture ourselves by reading discourse from elsewhere. As an American fan I've been much happier since I decided that it's truly not worth my time to watch or read any American skating coverage. No PR campaign on behalf of another skater is going to make me like Yuzu less or convince me that he's not the GOAT, and the same goes for the opinions of other skaters' fans. Of course discussion and debate among fans is fun sometimes, but you don't have to absorb that stuff if you're sad at the moment. Personally, I'll be sticking to the Planet for the foreseeable future, and I really appreciate this space on a day like today :grouphug:

Also, for a bit of distraction, a question that came to my mind that I haven't had a chance to look up yet: at 24 Yuzu is already a five time world medalist, and will hopefully be a six time medalist in a couple of days. Where does that put him on the all time list, and also in terms of just the last few decades?

7 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

Also, for a bit of distraction, a question that came to my mind that I haven't had a chance to look up yet: at 24 Yuzu is already a five time world medalist, and will hopefully be a six time medalist in a couple of days. Where does that put him on the all time list, and also in terms of just the last few decades?

thank you for distraction <3 

here is a wikipedia article that will hopefully answer your questions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Championships_cumulative_medal_count#Multiple_gold_medalists

Yuzuru with his five medals isn't in the top ten. So one could probably say that he has "only" five medals :notamused:

On the other hand, both Stojko and Browning are in the top ten and none of them has olympic gold medal. (Brian would probably say that you have to pick your battles and Yuzu did pick the right ones, didnt he?)

Fun fact: Plushy also isn't in top ten :) 

12 minutes ago, Ania said:

thank you for distraction <3 

here is a wikipedia article that will hopefully answer your questions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Championships_cumulative_medal_count#Multiple_gold_medalists

Yuzuru with his five medals isn't in the top ten. So one could probably say that he has "only" five medals :notamused:

On the other hand, both Stojko and Browning are in the top ten and none of them has olympic gold medal. (Brian would probably say that you have to pick your battles and Yuzu did pick the right ones, didnt he?)

Fun fact: Plushy also isn't in top ten :) 

kinda speechless at Salchow with his 10 golds but of course those were different times.

Also Mao in the top 10 !

I've been looking at that wiki too and it's fun to analyze. Yuzu's not in the top ten since they're ranking by # of gold medals, but if you just look at world medals in general Yuzu would be in there ahead of Scott Hamilton, who only has four total, and if he medals on Saturday he'll also pass Browning in terms of total medals. And yes, if we were including Olympic titles it would be a whole different ballgame. I also think it's fun that if he medals on Saturday he'll save the same total number of world medals as Dick Button. 

The next thing I'm wondering after looking at this...I believe Patrick Chan has five world medals (three gold, two silver). So if Yuzu picks up a sixth, will he be the only six time world medalist of the IJS era?

3 hours ago, mercedes said:

Also Mao in the top 10 !

It's interesting that Mao is there while Yuna is not. (but Yuna has OGM. aww, finding similarities between Yuzu and Yuna is my guilty pleasure)

3 hours ago, Vulnavia said:

I've been looking at that wiki too and it's fun to analyze. Yuzu's not in the top ten since they're ranking by # of gold medals, but if you just look at world medals in general Yuzu would be in there ahead of Scott Hamilton, who only has four total, and if he medals on Saturday he'll also pass Browning in terms of total medals. And yes, if we were including Olympic titles it would be a whole different ballgame. I also think it's fun that if he medals on Saturday he'll save the same total number of world medals as Dick Button. 

The next thing I'm wondering after looking at this...I believe Patrick Chan has five world medals (three gold, two silver). So if Yuzu picks up a sixth, will he be the only six time world medalist of the IJS era?

It is fun. here are other I recommend:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_World_Standings_and_Season's_World_Ranking,  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_Grand_Prix_of_Figure_Skating#Top_gold_medalists

will he be the only six time world medalist of the IJS era?

no, since Brian Joubert also has 6: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men

if he medals on Saturday he'll save the same total number of world medals as Dick Button. 

doqqa.jpg

1 hour ago, Fay said:

I survived Boston, I will survive this. We can’t expect miracles of him every time he steps on ice - but it’s a miracle he ‘s out there. Thank you, Yuzu, for sticking around in the sport a little longer. It’s a royal gift! 

I feel the same way.  He has an AMAZING career.

-He has been in the senior circuit for 9 years!!!!

-He has won multiple gold medals in worlds, GPF, and Olympics!!!!:space:

-He was ranked #1 in the world for 5 years in a row!!:happydance:

-He will forever hold the historical records!!!:knc_yuzu1:

-He competed against and has beaten 3 generations of top skaters:  PChiddy, Javier, and now Chen:hachimaki:

-He is the king of first achievements- first Asian everything gold, first loop, first >100sp, >200fs,>300 total, etc, etc etc :cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2:

-He is the king of MANY MANY OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS that got many of us obsessed with FS!!!! :cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2::cheer::clap::clapping-smiley::grin_clapping::party2:

BEYOND skating, Yuzu is an ideal son and model citizen and inspires us to overcome adversity because he had to.  He has an unparalleled fan base and following because of this in addition to his skating.

Like many of you, I felt anxious all day today :sad4:, but then i think of the big picture or the 30,000ft view of Yuzu and this competition is only a blip.

I want him to win because he wants to win and I will try to send positive thoughts into the universe.  But in the end, nothing will change his achievements :9::9:  and the admiration of his fans.

In the end, I'm just happy he didn't stop skating after his 1st OGM, or his 2nd OGM.  I'm just happy I can continue to see him skate, however long he chooses. :softYuzu::snpeace:

Thank you Planet Hanyu for creating this forum so we can share our love for Yuzuru Hanyu, GOAT of FS.:hugs::10742289::grouphug:

1 hour ago, Ania said:

Ah, I knew Joubert had a world title but didn't realize he had six total world medals. Still, if Yuzu picks up #6 we could give him the edge since he has two golds to Joubert's one. Of course, this is all in fun, it's just nice sometimes to look at the big picture of how truly accomplished Yuzu is. 

Finally caught up with the current competition + video/twitter updates, really loving the excitement and encouragement for Yuzu despite the mistake. I believe he'll do really well in the free because with history, he has always been a fighter who gives it his all into every performance. I just feel lucky as a fan that after 2 Olympic gold medals, he's still motivated to continue his art and sport! :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

Here's fanart I made which I'm a bit shy to share :redface:, a portrait of Yuzu I painted: