General Yuzuru Chat

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You may be right, but you're making a big assumption there, namely that Nathan reads what people say about him on social media. For his own sake, I kind of hope he doesn't! :tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow: Honestly, most of what fans say online about his performances, any responsible coach would also be saying to him. Raf doesn't seem like the kind of guy who pulls his punches. My guess is that he read Nathan the riot act after the Olympics, and Nathan listened. 

Yeah I just feel like it's hard to not read from social media (even Yuzu reads tweets about him, doesn't he? and he's someone who doesn't have an acc himself) Nathan bombing at Oly is a big evidence that he's affected somewhat from external pressure. Also, I've caught Nathan often scrolling through his phone and he even said in his post olympic interviews that he got a lot of messages from people congratulating him. And I also think Raf being a coach helps because he likes to push Nathan, just like what Nathan said after his US nats interview. unlike someone coughsTomzcoughs 

---

RE: Yuzu skating at Worlds

I'm interested to see whether he'll bomb in the short and coming back in the free this time like how he did in Helsinki or in his usual fashion, perfect in the short and then miss a quad or combo in the free. People said you can't win with the short but you can lose with it. So which scenario is better? With the depth of the men's field, I find this season there's no room for error because every one is so competitive that they're willing to do everything to beat him, esp Nathan who has the capability to go for a 5th or 6th quad if he bombed in the short. My concern at the moment is how he would be able to handle the pressure in the short program. We all know he's good at handling pressure, but logically, he's human and human has emotions too. It's going to be the first time he skates after 4 months. It's his first time skating at home since NHK 2016 (?) and this time it's for Worlds. He's once again the reigning Olympic Champion, the guy to beat, and people expect him to deliver and get that home inflation. I remember he was so so so nervous at Worlds 2014, you could see it throughout his performance in the short program. Plus ever since 2017/2018 season, there's less room for error for him and much less this season when I honestly honestly don't know if a clean 4 quad 2 3as Yuzuru could not be beaten anymore (call me pessimistic but I have faith in Yuzu just not the judging) if someone else goes for a higher BV and skated clean. All the best to Yuzu <3 

4 hours ago, Henni147 said:

After rewatching the Worlds marathon yesterday my impression is that Yuzu's biggest improvement in transition work and skating skills happened during the 2014/15 season. Compared with any of his previous programs Chopin 1.0 was a complete different level of footwork, deep egdes, soft gliding and controlled body movements. It's been pretty close actually to the current Yuzuru Hanyu already.

So retrospectively I agree with that 81 in PCS in Sotchi. Yuzu was good (probably even better than some other +90 skaters nowadays *cough*), but compared with his current skating qualities or Patrick's skating skills in 2014 the gap is indeed that big. Especially in Notre Dame and R&J2 you could see that Yuzu appeared very passionate, but wild at the same time. He didn't have that absolute control over his body, moves and the ice. It was a nonstop fight for every jump and step back then. If I remember correctly, Brian has mentioned something similar in a documentary.

When you look at Yuzu's skating today, it appears that everything is obedient to him: his body, the music, the ice, the entire arena. Even if he makes mistakes, his skating is well organized, controlled and effortless from start to finish. For me that alone justifies these ~15 points difference between Sotchi and today. He has grown that much in these past five years.

Remember though that it was Parisienne Walkways that broke record after record in the SP - which isn't cool because of the WR per se, but the meaning is that Yuzuru had already started perfecting his program through the perfect combination of technique and expression, perfect jumps and excellent Skating Skills. It was even since 2012 that his Skating Skills were compared to big names like Takahashi by experts of the sport. Because he has always been talented, skating wise. His edges, knee bend, speed, ability, transitions, everything grew quite organically if you ask me, and every season was better than the one before - but when Yuzuru beat Patrick at Sochi he was already on-pair with him on a lot of things. Again, the special thing about Yuzuru's SP has been the attention to each and every movement. If you go watch PW at Sochi you will see that there is complete control. Free Skating is another deal because of stamina. Yuzuru took a bit more time to learn how to control his lines and body movements even when he got more tired at the end of the program. 

I'm not arguing that there was no jump in quality in the 2014-15 season... but I think in every season there was a jump in quality, and especially in the 2013-14 season, I suggest you to see all the competitions Yuzu was in, and all the different PCS he got. Sometimes he got less than 80. But we're not talking about a normal rising young star, who's doing great technical feats but is still maturing on all the other aspects. We are talking about an athlete that was more complete than all the others, already at 18 years old. He was complete because he was one of the best in jumps, one of the best in spins, one of the best in skating skills and one of the best in interpretation. Find all of the top men these years, and you will find their weaknesses. Yuzuru virtually had none, and that made him a very dangerous competitor, and a miracle in figure skating. 

The point is, up until the last two seasons, and especially before the 2015-2016 season, he's been lowballed on PCS, I firmly believe this. Yes, if everyone had been judged strictly, then maybe his scores would have matched, but they didn't. Because everyone WASN'T treated that way. Maybe I am conditioned because I've been listening to Italian esp protesting about this since 2012. But there is a reason why they were protesting even when Yuzuru was 17, he was just a youngster and up against the big guns. He always had that completeness that made him stand out, and it was a gift that was hardly recognized in his scores, until he imposed himself completely and forced them to see him. In the end, scores are scores... and maybe they are not that important. But behind the scores, there is a behavior that is still present now in the judging system, and this behavior is: blindness. Judging badly according to nationality and reputation. Yuzuru had 0 reputation because he was a youngster, and that's why he got certain scores, in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

RE: Yuzu skating at Worlds

I'm interested to see whether he'll bomb in the short and coming back in the free this time like how he did in Helsinki or in his usual fashion, perfect in the short and then miss a quad or combo in the free.

Good question, and I wonder if Yuzu's past performances at Worlds can really be used to predict his performance this season. Don't forget, he started out this year by winning every single competition he did (okay, it was only three of them, but still...) which he'd never done before. And with the exception of the FS at ACI, where Jun topped him by 3.5 tiny points, he's won both the SP and the FS. 

You could argue that his competition wasn't all that tough at these events - he wasn't going up against Nathan or Shoma in any of them, and Javi's gone - but the fact remains that Yuzu skated superbly, even compared to his own previous performances (well, he wasn't happy with ACI, but first pancake and all that). 

So, hmm, making predictions is a tricky business, but I'm expecting two solid performances this time, rather than something like Worlds 2017. 

I heard one of Yuzu's program songs in a commercial today. I don't want to say which one and jinx anything... But I hope that was a sign of (REDACTED TO AVOID JINXING).

Also, I really think my hypothesis about that age guesser going by shadows/brightness of the face more than any other feature was correct... I took some selfies that turned out very bright and ran them through it to test it out. It said that I'm 11 years old in the bright one and 9 years old in the even brighter one. I'm older than Yuzu.  :xD:

I recently did a bit of research and, unless I missed something, GPF13 was the first time Yuzu got over 90 PCS and NHK15 the first time he got over 95. It could be because I only became a fan after GPF16, and I look at everything before that in hindsight, but I don't mind the slow PCS increase for Yuzu as much as I mind the way too speedy PCS increase these days. Yuzu actually worked hard to improve to his current level (and at least in the early days, I think it was good he wasn't overly rewarded, because it cemented what Brian was saying about PCS; if Brian had been talking at TCC about how important skating skills are and how much Yuzu needed to perfect that, but the judges gave him higher and higher PCS scores, it might have been at least a little eyebrow raising, while, like this, the scores seemed to confirm Brian's words and everything was clear). It took him three senior seasons to get over 90 in PCS. Nathan got over 90 in his second season and that's ridiculous, even without looking at the programs, simply because it's hard to believe anyone can get to that level so fast. Shoma I don't even dare look at. And this is not against the skaters, but against the judging.

As for the upcoming Worlds, I don't think previous Worlds can be used to make predictions. Yuzu is in a completely different place now than he was in previous seasons. Both physically and mentally. He's accomplished his biggest goals, he is THE top skater and seems to have taken that position very seriously given his results so far, and seems to ooze a comfortable self-confidence that he rarely had before. Which is not to say he can't psych himself out. He's not completely conquered his overthinking issues, IMO, but he does seem to have gained the ability to control it when it matters. We can only begin to imagine how he must have been feeling skating at the Olympics, injured, after so much time off the ice and with all that pressure piled up. And yet he was able to do it calmly - at least he appeared calm, we now know he wasn't that calm during the free lol - and focus on a positive mindframe. I think that might just mean he's learned to control himself in ways he struggled with in the past and there's a good chance we'll see that again at Worlds. But yes, he is human, and you never know. I am actually very curious to see if he'll repeat that. I remember he once said that WC17 H&L happened because he learned this type of control and that he now knows how to get that when he needs it (not in these words, of course), but we didn't see that again until the Olympics. If he does it again at Worlds, I think that would show that indeed, he does have this 'weapon' in his arsenal, too, and it might be the best weapon to have, better than all the quad lutzes and quad flips. (And with Nessie, it'd probably make him truly unbeatable.) I also think he might have had it since WC17, but saw no point in using it in smaller competitions, because they're not that important and making mistakes in them is good for the perfecting process. It remains to be seen, though.

Bottom line is, I have no idea if he'll be clean or how clean. I believe the chances of going squeaky clean on both are high. But I know small or not so small mistakes might happen, depending on a lot of things, including mental condition, physical condition, how his rivals do, how judging goes, and, from all of that, how far he'll push himself. Who knows how the FS would have gone at Olys if he'd included the 4Lo, after all. But it was barely there, so a part of me is definitely relieved he didn't feel the need to do it. This year might be different, especially as he's pretty much revealed his strategy from last year, so he might feel the need to push harder, but even before the accident, I saw his struggles with 4Lo first hand and I admit I'll be nervous if he includes it (and I expect he will, if even just as strategy, only to then decide not to jump it). Although those were, at least in Helsinki, due to the ice, he also struggled with it at ACI and IIRC, Rostelecom as well, from the fanvideos. But either way, the parameters are very different, IMO, from previous Worlds, so I doubt we can use them to make any deductions. That said, not being first after the short would definitely fire him up, but, again, I worry about the loop, which would definitely be included in such a situation.

10 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

It's his first time skating at home since NHK 2016 (?) and this time it's for Worlds. He's once again the reigning Olympic Champion, the guy to beat, and people expect him to deliver and get that home inflation.

He did WTT 2017 too.

about "home inflation":

If Yuzu "delivers", even getting all 10s in PCS wouldn't be considered home inflation, it'd be considered a reality when compared to the candies that some other skaters are getting this season. Plus, clean jumps by Yuzu are actually worth +5 GOE, so... I don't see a scenario where Yuzu's score would be inflated, especially looking at how the current standard of judging is.

Yep, I agree with you that PW was exceptional. It's one of my all time favorite programs, because:

1. The transition work was sublime, especially in and out of his jumps. He made them look so easy peasy in Sotchi. The choreo was one big sequence actually.

2. Yuzu managed to highlight his elements and choreographic touches really well. He gave the audience the necessary time to view, enjoy and celebrate his jumps, spins and moves like the pistol pose. Most skaters do not give you this time to let it all sink in, but continue with the next element already. The way Yuzu played with the crowd's expectations and reactions was awesome for a 19 year old.

However, Chopin was next level for me. Why? It's these little details that you do not notice at first glance. The way he accelerated, stopped and turned on the ice made my jaw drop. The smoothness and dynamics. Otonal is Champions League in this category. PW was a bit rougher in the movements imo, but it fit the playful music, so it's fine :67638860:

5 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

He did WTT 2017 too.

about "home inflation":

If Yuzu "delivers", even getting all 10s in PCS wouldn't be considered home inflation, it'd be considered a reality when compared to the candies that some other skaters are getting this season. Plus, clean jumps by Yuzu are actually worth +5 GOE, so... I don't see a scenario where Yuzu's score would be inflated, especially looking at how the current standard of judging is.

I agree with you and I think what I meant by "people", I was referring to his antis LOL logically, people should agree a clean Yuzu deserves 10s and +5GOEs but I mean I think his haters would still claim those as home inflation regardless of how he skated. 

LOL I like how the streaming party is specifically touting "soothing content."

There is a proverb for March:  "In like a lion, out like a lamb" Maybe that will be Mr. Hanyu...

"'I'm HERE. I'm HERE TO WIN...:hachimaki:"

"I was very surprised to do so well...:space:"

(Not sure if the proverb really means that, but I'm going to be very literal.)

Laureus is doing some kind of flashback/best moments 2019 marathon on their twitter page and Yuzu plus fandom are mentioned. Twice.

This post again reminded me of the ancient fight for recognition of the international fandom :laughing:

At the same time it made me really curious, how many different countries we could actually get together, if all fans gathered...?

Imagine all the nationalities colored on a huge world map banner...

I'm about to start a poll, but I'm not sure, if Laureus is the best platform for this...

12 минут назад, Henni147 сказал:

This post again reminded me of the ancient fight for recognition of the international fandom :laughing:

At the same time it made me really curious, how many different countries we could actually get together, if all fans gathered...?

Imagine all the nationalities colored on a huge world map banner...

We once had a world map for Yuzu’s birthday, where we marked our locations. Not sure if it is available now. Very impressive.