General Yuzuru Chat

22 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Everyone is talking about the anniversary of PyeongChang but five years ago on this day (13 February) Yuzu skated a perfect short program in the individual event and with that skate he became the first skater who scored above 100 points under the new judging system  :clap: Very nice memories. <3 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

sorry i don't have anything more substantial to say

1 hour ago, cronkite said:

I-Scope data by Fuji TV

4CC 3A (single jump ) 

Name   GOE Height (m) Distance(m) Landing Speed(km)

Keiji

SP +1.37 0.59 2.92 11.0
  FP +1.03 0.63 2.75 19.8
Shoma SP +2.97 0.55 3.37 20.7
  FP +2.63 0.53 3.14 19.6
Keegan SP -0.23 0.62 2.99 19.0
  FP +0.80 0.57 2.92 24.0
Jason SP No data      
  FP -1.71(<) 0.54 2.06 15.8
Vincent SP +1.71 0.58 2.53 19.9
  FP +2.06 0.50 2.54 16.0
Jun SP +2.06 0.54 2.51 21.1
  FP -0.43(<) 0.62 2.77 15.6
Boyang SP +2.29 0.56 2.40 19.2
  FP +2.40 0.51 2.45 17.5
Rika FP +2.51 0.54 2.70 10.58

If you find any error in numbers pls let me know. 

My take is that high/ long/fast don't always produce great GOE. Cant wait for Yuzu's perfect 3A at WC.

BTW this is my first post.  I am a chronic lurker but been here since the genesis of this site. All hail to the Admin!!

@cronkitewelcome! Ahhh I see statistics can make people delurk, nice:devilYuzu: let's keep them coming!

as for the bolded part

:offtopic2:

Spoiler

yeah, big jumps have a lot of power that could cause a loss of control at the landing (longer jumps have higher chances of going off-axis too). Examples of too  much power would be Keegan Messing and Misha. Among ladies too, usually powerful jumpers aren't the most consistent. Small jumps are more 'efficient' from this point of view (and stamina-wise), tho of course then there is risk of not enough air-time. so there's a balance a skater needs to strike, also depending on his/her atheltic abilities and stamina. GOE may also depend on the entry (+1 if difficult, or judges can reduce GOE for long prep too...).

also re: comparative size of quads vs triples

asfaik quad>triple>doubles is the norm, or at least I only remember the opposite trend being specifically pointed out when talking about the axel only. Tho tbh I don't remember if it was only about lenght or about the height(time of flight) too...

We still don't know if 4A would follow the trend and be shorter than a 3A. Though most likely it will be higher(longer time of flight).

not OT but still about jumps:

Last season there was a russian anaysis of men's jumps (I'm sure it was discussed in the general skating chat) and while Yuzuru wasn't the one with the highest jumps (iirc he had the highest 4Lo tho...but the sample of 4Lo was small and the other skaters jumping it weren't 'big jumpers' anyway). While one can discuss about the accuracy of numbers, comparisons were interesting. It looked like the trend was: higher number of quads, smaller jumps. Maybe because smaller jumps are less draining and a skater can skate a whole program with many quads without being dead at the end:tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:  Anyway, Yuzuru was among the few who could achieve the multiple quads while still jumping big.:tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg: (and this while also having programs packed with skating content between elements:bow: not bad for a skater who has never had stamina as strong point:biggrin:)

Yuzuru also combines jumping high with jumping long and that makes the trajectory of his jumps look particularly good:tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

@Henni147 thank you for your video!:tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

(and please keep them coming, I love them)

I have watched the most recent subbed snippets about Yuzur's earphones, Nobu and Uchimura and I have squealed repeatedly (particularly at the footage of OWG Yuzu)

It's the usual missing Yuzu hours for me:tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow: actually, it's go-to-bed hours so I'm out LOL:bed:

19 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Everyone is talking about the anniversary of PyeongChang but five years ago on this day (13 February) Yuzu skated a perfect short program in the individual event and with that skate he became the first skater who scored above 100 points under the new judging system  :clap: Very nice memories. <3 

Same thought. It's been quite a while, but it never gets old. I really love to watch this playful and entertaining Yuzu! He makes everything look so easy peasy in this program and his dorky smile is everything.

It's a shame that many people only remember a disappointing men's event in Sotchi. This SP shouldn't be overshadowed by negative memories...

I know, I really should ignore comments like this one, but the reasoning of some people just fascinates me :1:

Spoiler

"Another fannyu video... OMG, When will you fall off? Why are you talking about Nathan again in this video only as a jumper? Is this some kind of mantra for believers to be complacent? Nathan Chen has an outstanding choreography! He is Comprehensively Developed skater! He is in no way inferior to Hanyu in the presentation, and in technology he is far superior to him. And yes, you fear Nathan for good reason.

[...]

o no, fanyu never act so directly. They want to leave the impression of themselves as neutral fans. But the false is perfectly visible. So that everyone without exception (starting with the audience and ending with the judges know that Nathan has only an attack on the quad, but Hanyu has an experience). And I do not see any choreographic beauty in Hanyu and Brown programs, I don’t like them at all. Do not need anyone to impose your opinion.Why do you rivet all these biased videos and dump them on the Internet? Leave such videos in your closed fan forums."

#Footnote: I won't delete my channel. :animated-smileys-animals-047:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I know, I really should ignore comments like this one, but the reasoning of some people just fascinates me :1:

Reveal hidden contents

"Another fannyu video... OMG, When will you fall off? Why are you talking about Nathan again in this video only as a jumper? Is this some kind of mantra for believers to be complacent? Nathan Chen has an outstanding choreography! He is Comprehensively Developed skater! He is in no way inferior to Hanyu in the presentation, and in technology he is far superior to him. And yes, you fear Nathan for good reason.

[...]

o no, fanyu never act so directly. They want to leave the impression of themselves as neutral fans. But the false is perfectly visible. So that everyone without exception (starting with the audience and ending with the judges know that Nathan has only an attack on the quad, but Hanyu has an experience). And I do not see any choreographic beauty in Hanyu and Brown programs, I don’t like them at all. Do not need anyone to impose your opinion.Why do you rivet all these biased videos and dump them on the Internet? Leave such videos in your closed fan forums."

Spoiler

I kinda feel like trying my own hand at editing, "The passion! (Shoma, Boyang) The beauty! (Yuzu, Kolyada) The quads! (Nathan, Samarin)" just to get the raise out of them. :68468287:

Hide contents

[...]

Spoiler

The saddest thing to me about fans like this is that they're the type of people that could prevent Nathan from reaching full potential (if he were easily influenced, which I don't think he is, luckily). But it's also quite sad that they think this is what a complete skater looks like, when clearly Nathan can do so much better.

My impression from reading posts by Yuzu fans even in his earlier career is that most of them were quite realistic about where he stood, where he was as good as others, better than others and where there was still room for improvement. For example, I don't think I've really seen many people argue around 2012 that Yuzu was better in PCS than Daisuke, for example, but they did argue he was technically better, or at least that he had a higher technical difficulty to his programs. The arguments thrown back were rarely as analytic. I also don't think anyone ever said Yuzu was better in PCS than Patrick, throughout the time they were direct rivals, but his technical difficulty was superior and that was what helped him win. It wasn't until Yuzu really improved across all fields that fans became increasingly convinced that he is better on pretty much all fronts than everyone else. But even then, there are many fans who leave room for better. For saying X has better spins, or Y has a certain better jump etc. etc. What all Yuzu fans agree upon, I think, is that he combines everything into a good, difficult and engaging program better than anyone.

But also, it took Yuzu several years in seniors and a lot of work to reach this level. I don't think any Yuzu fan would have said that Yuzu is at Patrick's level in every way in only his third season in seniors. And Patrick wasn't really at the level Yuzu is at, IMO. So for Nathan fans to say that now... I find it quite naive, to be honest. Of course, Nathan can beat Yuzu, if the stars align that way, but that in no way means he's at the same level. Of course, people can believe whatever they choose, though.

Also, after Phil's latest 'article' on this topic, I looked out of curiosity, when was the first time Yuzu got over 90 PCS. It was in 2013, when he won his first GPF. The first time he got over 95 was when he broke the record at NHK '15. So 4th season and just before his first Olympic medal and 6th season. And that included national championships, too. And yet, Nathan got 91 in his second season and then that ridiculous number in Nationals this year. The PCS increase over the past few seasons has been ridiculous...

Same thought. It's been quite a while, but it never gets old. I really love to watch this playful and entertaining Yuzu! He makes everything look so easy peasy in this program and his dorky smile is everything.

It's a shame that many people only remember a disappointing men's event in Sotchi. This SP shouldn't be overshadowed by negative memories...

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with it. I loved PW in 2012/13 but in the Olympic season it was just even better and he deserved to be the first skater with a 100+ score with this program.

As Javi said many people forget that it was Yuzu's first Olympics and he did so well at that Games. Not only his SP in the individual event but also in the team event was perfect and brilliant, he really handled the pressure so well.The free skate was not a very high quality event but Yuzu still skated the best :P The schedule of the individual event was really unfortunate though, as the SP ended so late in Sochi and it affected the free skate event next day too much. 

Spoiler

It's just best to ignore that person imo, they're a Nate uber

This is so OT and just because its almost 1 month left until Worlds, but what do you guys think about if Yuzu would put the 3A in the second half of the short to up his BV. Like last season chopin's layout. I mean its just .80 points higher and increase with GOE but thats still a way to maximize his points for worlds. Looking at the current state of his competitors, Nathan and Boyang (who is peaking), they might encourage him to do something to ensure that sp cushion. I'm thinking 110 for an imperfect SP from COR can mean a 112 for a perfect SP +1 home inflation (I have a feeling it won't get that much inflation) so around 113 for a perfect SP with his current layout. If he puts the 3a in the second half it would be around 114. This will hopefully take some of that pressure off to leave out the 4loop in the free. Yeah its kinda pointless guessing his game plan but I'm so darn curious about how kuyashii he is at the moment