General Yuzuru Chat

19 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, most little kids who do sports dream of going to the Olympics, and some who are very good might daydream about winning a medal. Only little baby Yuzuru 'Extra' Hanyu would dream of winning gold at the Olympics twice.:dpooh:

Maybe Yuzu's brain is rewriting history a bit? I always got an impression that, as a kid, going to 2014 Olympics was a goal and in 2018 the goal was to win. I seem to recall some snippet where wee Yuzu was saying that in 2014 he'd be 19 so he could go and in 2018 he'd be 23 so he'd win it. I could remember wrong though.

Looking back, the stakes at Pyeongchang were so infinitely higher for him. I think he'd have been ok with medal of any color at Sochi, but in Pyongchang he'd have been devastated by anything less than gold. 

20 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Maybe Yuzu's brain is rewriting history a bit? I always got an impression that, as a kid, going to 2014 Olympics was a goal and in 2018 the goal was to win. I seem to recall some snippet where wee Yuzu was saying that in 2014 he'd be 19 so he could go and in 2018 he'd be 23 so he'd win it. I could remember wrong though.

Looking back, the stakes at Pyeongchang were so infinitely higher for him. I think he'd have been ok with medal of any color at Sochi, but in Pyongchang he'd have been devastated by anything less than gold. 

I would say it probably depends on the age. Maybe at some point someone told him he could go to more than one Olympics so he thought: "ok, then I'll win two golds" in the way kids do. Later on, yes, the 'plan' was to participate in Sochi, then win in Pyeongchang. I believe it was around the time of Worlds 2012 that he realized winning in Sochi might not be impossible and that's what prompted him to move to Toronto (because with how quickly Javi improved under Brian, he could probably improve fast enough to win, too). But Pyeongchang was always the main one, yes.

39 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

I remember some other Team Japan skater saying that winning 2 golds was his dream since he was 10 but I don’t remember who it was. Maybe Miki? 

What if the second gold he had in his eye on was 2022... :peekapooh:

59 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

I know which TV snippet of Hanyu as a kid you are talking about (but I am finding it hard to find again), but in my memory I thought Yuzu was asked what is your dream/goal, and he said to win the Olympics, and the interviewer asked him 'when?', and Yuzu answered "in the Olympics after Vancouver (at that time Sochi had not been decided as the host yet),  and I will be 19!" something like that. 

Also David Wilson said in his interviews that Yuzu wrote an email to him at the start of the 14 Olympic season along the lines of "I do not want to wait till 2018, I want to win the Olympic now, so please please help me). So I think he had his mind set on gold only at Sochi from the very start. In fact I would say whilst he always planned two golds, his thirst for the 2nd one probably only intensified due to the not so great free skate at the first Olympics.     

Yuzu spoke about his childhood dreams in one of the early P&G interviews. Translation can be found here https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/126496961412/yuzu-days-interview-on-pg-website-hanyu-talks

I remember one story that at first he wanted to win one gold medal but then he thought that it would be too easy. If he wanted to be remembered as a legend, he would have to win the gold twice. And it was a very young Yuzu thinking about this. I can´t find the source, I just have this memory. Maybe someone remembers it better.

On the other hand, it is easy to dream about things that are way beyond the reach at the time. What counts is making them a reality when you have a chance to do it.

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

Hmmm... as a mushroom he did say he wanted to win the gold medal at the Olympics but he probably gradually realised that it wasn't that simple. Yes, his goal was always to be the Gold medalist but the walls he had to climb for Sochi were immense. Nationally, he had to overcome the big 3 (Takahashi, Kozuka, Oda) and leading up to Sochi Machida was also becoming a heavy hitter. Internationally, you have Patrick Chan who was almost unbeatable going to Sochi and even when Yuzu beat him at GPF'13 people still believed that Chiddy would win. So I think while he is greedy for Gold, realistically, he knew the battle would be tough.  Even with a higher BV advantage a clean Chiddy could theoretically beat a clean Yuzu (GOE inflation wasn't as big an issue as PCS inflation). 

Awww I hope we'll have the whole subbed doc:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::10742289: :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

(It might happen that more people will contradict themselves giving the same praises they give Yuzu now to others and even downplaying what he does and has done, but I like to think Yuzuru is the kind of skater and person who is easy to compliment with sincerity. So hyperbolic praises might be fake and changeable but hopefully feelings are not)

I can't remember if a translation of the captions of the the ElleJapan Yuzu&Javi pics has been posted. Yude has translated them in the other forum @yude is it ok to share here?

whoever wrote those captions and chose the pics is a genious  :POOH: