General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, ICeleste said:
Yuzu checking up on Jason is the sweetest thing :sadPooh: I think Jason is the skater closest to his age (they were born like 8 days apart).
On another note... 

Lol on Twitter he "loves Yuzu-kun" yet on TV he drags him and his skating every chance he gets... Pick a side, Johnny (and Zu bring back LGC challenge)

Ok I wasn't gonna complain what Johnny's comment on Yuzu right after Nathan's FS, because I simply thought he might just get too excited to make a rational comment. Because, afterall, witnessing a skater of your own country doing a great job in programs is a matter.

But seeing this... this cover-up or whatever, makes him not that ingenuous...

I understand why people are mad at Johnny, but I really hope this doesn't degenerate. What he said wasn't THAT bad, even if it would have been much better if he hadn't mentioned Yuzu at all. It's not like the French commentators who speculated on much worse things and he didn't say anything that isn't essentially persona opinion. Which he's entitled to. I understand we all love Yuzu and want to protect him, but he's a grown man and he can protect himself. He would never condone cyber bullying - and we know Yuzu has plenty of vicious fans, as well - and he's actually already talked about that. About him and Johnny talking about how no matter what Johnny says, he'll get dragged for it. And we know how Yuzu felt about that. And I doubt he feels like that only if the subject isn't himself. Yuzu is the type of person who will even defend the right of someone talking trash about him, because that's the kind of person he is. So, yes, being disappointed and voicing that is natural. But let's not get carried away or resort to personal attacks (as I've already seen it happen on twitter). Even if it's to defend him, it won't make Yuzu happy.

3 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I understand why people are mad at Johnny, but I really hope this doesn't degenerate. What he said wasn't THAT bad, even if it would have been much better if he hadn't mentioned Yuzu at all. It's not like the French commentators who speculated on much worse things and he didn't say anything that isn't essentially persona opinion. Which he's entitled to. I understand we all love Yuzu and want to protect him, but he's a grown man and he can protect himself. He would never condone cyber bullying - and we know Yuzu has plenty of vicious fans, as well - and he's actually already talked about that. About him and Johnny talking about how no matter what Johnny says, he'll get dragged for it. And we know how Yuzu felt about that. And I doubt he feels like that only if the subject isn't himself. Yuzu is the type of person who will even defend the right of someone talking trash about him, because that's the kind of person he is. So, yes, being disappointed and voicing that is natural. But let's not get carried away or resort to personal attacks (as I've already seen it happen on twitter). Even if it's to defend him, it won't make Yuzu happy.

I agree, what he said in commment is understandable.

but he shouldn't mention how much he loves Yuzu after his disputable comment, which drags him into trouble again.

Not wise, man!

19 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I agreed. I dont think Jonny's comment is that bad, its the fact that he (and other commentator) drag Yuzuru name in US nats multiple times make people upset. Yuzuru aware all of it, he knows what people, commentators talk about him. We're not him and never know how he feel about it. Perhaps he doesn't mind at all. But I can say if Yuzuru don't feel comfortable enough, he would avoid that person with all cost. He's smart young man and I trust him to make the right decision. 

About Otonal, I'm just glad I only know Yuzuru's program and I can't wait to see how he improve that program by WC 

I think Otonal is one of, if not best SP of Yuzu's , so no he shouldn't change it just because, I wouldn't even mind if he used it again next season (or alternatively, Origin) so he can focus his time on landing the 4A, his real target. 

It's not the first time Johnny has dragged Yuzu into unfavorable comparisons, some even with other disciplines. I recalled in 16 GPF he commented that Evgenia has better chance to win the Olympics than Yuzu and we saw what happened in the end.  Or in another interview in the past he stated Yuna was the bigger deal because she gets mobbed everywhere while Yuzu wasn't necessarily, and we know who can't go anywhere without security guards today.   

I think Johnny meant what he said yesterday, not just to please NBC, but as per the examples above, his predictions can go pretty wrong.  However, I am used to the two-faced nature of people around Yuzu so I am pretty chill over his comments. Call me cynical, it's for the same reason I don't take any of the TCC family love or Plushenko's gushing seriously, cause at the end of the day in sports, its each athlete for himself, regardless of currently active ones or retired ones.  

I don't know about all this. I don't want to judge Johnny's decisions or Nathan's scores, because it is a hopeless case.

One thing that makes me angry though, is that everyone in US media is trying so hard to create an image of Nathan. Why can't they let him make his own and speak for himself? People are actually able to decide, if someone skates good. Is it really necessary to say on the loop, that Nathan is "in the league of his own"? We are able to see and decide if he really is.

I want this sport to be a peaceful place but I guess people need some drama and they try hard to make figure skating a battlefield. 

11 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I don't know about all this. I don't want to judge Johnny's decisions or Nathan's scores, because it is a hopeless case.

One thing that makes me angry though, is that everyone in US media is trying so hard to create an image of Nathan. Why can't they let him make his own and speak for himself? People are actually able to decide, if someone skates good. Is it really necessary to say on the loop, that Nathan is "in the league of his own"? We are able to see and decide if he really is.

I want this sport to be a peaceful place but I guess people need some drama and they try hard to make figure skating a battlefield. 

The thing about Nathan is he isn't even half the things they tell he is. He respects Yuzu and never got ahead of himself in spite his impressive abilities. They are not friends, that's for sure, but they respect each other. It's a shame the media can't leave them alone.

I think it's also worth noting that it's possible - if not likely - that, although Johnny has been nice towards Yuzu a lot over the years, it's not really for his personality that Yuzu idolizes him, but for his skating. And those don't necessarily have to be the same. I'm sure as a fan and someone who knows Johnny, Yuzu knows better than us what Johnny is like. It's also not like Johnny is his BFF who betrayed him. It's also not impossible to like Yuzu and still think, for whatever reason, that Nathan is the best thing since sliced bread. While I'm upset myself about it, I do think there's a lot of overreaction, too. It's not even like he said Yuzu's crap. I can imagine Yuzu going: "Oh, yeah? You think Nathan's better? Ok, challenge accepted!" rather than going angsty about it.

And anyway, in a way he's right. Yuzu is not very likely to ever get such a score because JSF is neither that into inflation, neither that fond of Yuzu and he virtually never gets candy from International judges either. Of course, scores are only half the story, though and if Johnny honestly wants to believe Nathan is the best, good for him. Doesn't make him right.

ETA:

2 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

The thinh about Nathan is he isn't even half the things they tell he is. He respects Yuzu and never got ahead of himself despite his impressive abilities. They are not friends, that's for sure, but they respect each other. It's a shame the media can't leave them alone.

My - admittedly, somewhat uninformed, because I don't follow Nathan - impression is that Nathan is about as down to earth and realistic about where he actually stands as the people around him and media and USFS and judges are delusional. Which, hats off to him, seriously, because it's so easy to get caught up in that hype. But I think Nathan knows how much is reality and how much is hype (and I doubt he enjoys the hype, either... he doesn't seem the type to enjoy the spotlight that much... reminds me of Shoma more than Yuzu).

I think it’s partly an expectation born out of previous eras in figure skating, when rivals did seem to hate each other and the public lapped up the drama - Yagudin/Pluschenko, Harding/Kerrigan, Weir/Lysacek.  Pre Sochi Patrick Chan wasn’t exactly friendly towards his rivals, other Canadian skaters in pairs and ice dance, but not his competitors.  Somewhere on YouTube there is a clip of a tv programme with Tracey Wilson in which her co presenters can’t wrap their heads around the idea that Fernandez and Hanyu could co exist at TCC without that kind of enmity.  Hence the Olympic channel’s surprised coverage of the friendliness of the PC podium.  US media wants the drama of confrontation- and Weir and Lipinski are employed to stir that up.  Hopefully the skaters are level headed enough not to take the bait.

Its not about how great nathan is or who Jhonny loves or not. But while saying he can't imagine anyone, including yuzu, can beat him, he should have consider yuzu was injured or not mentioned him at all, it would be much respectful, i'm disappointed yet not surprised.

Commentators are free to say what they think, its doesn;t mean its right or its what would happen. As I said before, Yuzuru awared alot of things around him. If he doesn't feel comfortable with someone or don't want to give tabloid materials, he would avoid them. We saw it with Evgenia and Misha. 

For Worlds I hope Yuzuru would be healthy and skate two great perfomances that he can be satisfy and do those program justice. Whatever judges do or how his rivals skate, he couldnt control. For me, the fact that he still compete after PC is a bonus, he would do ice show, events, CM but still choose to go through intense training, rehab. Some people always eager to write him off everytime there's top men skate well. In 2014, Japanese media said Shoma would overtake him soon, after WC15 people also thought Nam would beat him next season. These kind of narratives are not new and will continue as long as he compete. But he's Yuzuru Hanyu, I truly believe he would find a way to win like he always does

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

On a lighter(?) note...this is a beautiful photo.

FRKfgT9.jpg

Aww... Yuzu, can you stretch a bit higher or cut few inches of the shirt hems plz? :img_21:

When I checked US nats scores, I just laughed. It's just so US - Bigger the better! Give away 10's and +5s. And Johnny's comment? I understand he's patriotic but his association with Yuzu got him into hot sticky mud. He shouldn't have put that Yuzu-kun comment really. No need. Yuzu is the one to beat when it comes to figure skating record so he's dragged into it every time someone skates with big scores. But we don't need to fight for Yuzu. He will answer all the questions when he's on the ice. HE WILL DO WHATEVER NECESSARY TO LET THE WORLD KNOW THAT HE'S THE KING. Or at least that's what I think he'd do. No freaking other way to make those people understand. And also, you can make up scores but the world falls silence when Yuzu skates those magical performances. You cannot fake that. Nobody other than Yuzu can do that. Well, to me anyway. 

You can score anything if you want really. It is almost like name a price of an art. If you think you'd pay a million dollar for an old pot, that's the value you see in the object. I came to realise the fs judging is not done objectively but it's always in subjectively. Unless you're the judge, ofc you'll not be satisfied with it. But somehow Yuzu is fighting to make those blind eyes peeled to see the utter beauty that he creates through his skating. It's up to them to see it.

Bringing back LGC sounds crazy but fun. But I love Otonal already so I don't see any point of changing it bc of Johnny's slip of a tongue comments. I'd like to see Yuzu absolutely having a ball at WC and if he's satisfied with his performances, I don't think I care what happens after that.