General Yuzuru Chat

Sooooo, as a new Yuzu fan, I wanted to know how it was before he became 2x OGM. I went back to many forums. And boy...to say it's crazy is an understatement, esp after Jap Nast 2013. He was even called a sick kid who needs food and a yellowish boy whose mother doesn't let him go anywhere without her! It made me realize how our boy has nerves of steel because I personally wouldn't have been able to endure that. I became even more thankful that Yuzu continued to improve himself further and proved everyone wrong. He made himself the prime example of making the impossible possible. What a tough guy! So worthy of all the love in the world!

OMG just finished catching up with this thread!!! :10640793: one week abroad with limited internet and no time at all...it was killing me guys!!! BUT I managed to see Yuzu’s performances and also to sneak out and get a Banner and two Winnie Poohs for CoR. Then I finally took a cab to go back and before getting in, I saw the license plate: AXL... of course I read Axel...:facepalm: LOL

And speaking about Axel... Yuzu and the podium... hahaha... how come I didn’t notice it?!!!! 

20 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I agree. Shoma hasn't really discovered himself as a figure skater yet. Sometimes I wonder if he has any long term goal in figure skating. Despite of his achievement so far, I struggle to remember his absolute "This is it!" moment. Technicality and artistry alone do not make a truly great skater. I feel Shoma and figure skating are bound by "because he's nice to me, I'm staying with him for now" level of love while Yuzu and figure skating are bound by "till death do us part" level of commitment. When someone is talented with something and also is crazy about the very thing that they're good at, it can create something truly amazing and that is Yuzu's case with figure skating. But this is my personal opinion and if anyone here knows Shoma's true love moment for figure skating, I'd like to know. I really need to see him in different light as he's been in Yuzu's shadow for too long.

I love the way Jun is progressing and developing :img_21: He's TCC boy through and through. With his cute baby face and almost fully developed physique, the contrast creates very interesting outlook. His skating skill is coming along nicely and I like his spins too. But I feel his arm movements are too casual sometimes in choreos. Because Yuzu is so flexible and jelly like, sharpness of movements may not come naturally for him but he still manages to achieve that feeling of precise movement into his choreograph. 

While I was watching Helsinki GP, I couldn't help but thinking "Who is the rival for Yuzu here?" as the point difference was just ridiculous. Few commentators viewed that Nathan and Shoma would be the ones that challenge Yuzu but deep down I didn't think they could truly beat Yuzu. For point wise or podium orders, sure either of they could (and have) beat Yuzu. But to surpass Yuzu for what he's achieved in figure skating not just records but also as a whole, only Yuzu himself can do that. I can't see anybody else in the field right now can go beyond Yuzu where he is now. We'll have to leave that to future skaters who's starting point is YUZURU HANYU.

I've watched different commentary SP/FS and it's funny to hear commentators praising Yuzu as "the greatest ever skater" or "GOAT". To me, some of them were just saying it like a phrase rather than complimenting him. It is so rare to have 2 time olympic gold medalist still competing and showing he's hungry for more. For them to get used to the idea that Yuzu is here to stay and win again, it'll take a little more while. For me, I know this will never happen again in my life time so I'm going to make most of it and be gracious for every piece of Yuzu:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

....there was one moment while watching Shomas free live in Milan whenfor the first time I appreciated his sharp movements, his blades, and his fight.

The situation fitted his temperament, perhaps, because he had to fight really hard this day and it was important to him. 

This was a Shoma— moment for me and I feel more positive about his performance since then.

But in general I feel the same as you about Shoma and skating. 

2 minutes ago, raebia said:

....there was one moment while watching Shomas free live in Milan whenfor the first time I appreciated his sharp movements, his blades, and his fight.

The situation fitted his temperament, perhaps, because he had to fight really hard this day and it was important to him. 

This was a Shoma— moment for me and I feel more positive about his performance since then.

But in general I feel the same as you about Shoma and skating. 

Thanks for the info. I skipped Milan after Yuzu announced wd and haven't watched all of them. I did see Boyang's fs on YT and was devastated then I was put off so didn't watch the rest... :D I'll go back and watch Shoma's fs.

....not to rain on your parade, but Yuzu's jump onto the podium is just a waltz jump.... :runaway:

52 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Woke up this morning and boy am I not ashamed to say Im happy to not see a new world record :xD:

The score might not be that close to the 100 mark, but when you see the program (and how the judges judged), boy......

On 11/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, salty said:

okay so im late to the party but from my understanding - if you put together the pieces of the themes of Kojiki and what Shae Lynn said in her video about putting in little pieces of 'human touch' - i believe that Origin is the story of a god (not God or Lucifer or a Demon) who learns human warmth and becomes human. Here's how all these themes of tribute, origin, and story telling come together since i believe some of us are having a tough time not seeing Origin as all over the place thematically

Tribute and Origin - Yuzu has said that he became truly interested in figure skating after watching Plushenko's Nijinsky so he is using his idol's signature piece of music to create a new story. Ironically enough, this piece of music was used to portray Nijinsky, a revolutionary ballet dancer who struggled with mental disorders and health issues that kept him from creating healthy relationships with the people around him. Nijinsky was a genius who kept himself isolated from the public to escape the pressure of being Russia's #1. Remind you of anyone? (minus the mental disorders of course)

Storytelling - Otonal is the ice wasteland that Yuzu lived in up until he won the Olympics. I've mentioned this in the costumes thread before but this place was cold and harsh and lonely and you can see the image he produces when he's on the ice. He's all alone but he dances around furiously trying to keep himself warm. This interpretation of Otonal is perfectly juxtaposed to Origin in that regard. Even his costume in Origin looks like his clothes were burned off by the intense human warmth he has received. The Ina Bauer, his reaching out with his hand before the spiral, etc. are all choreographic touches to portray this god becoming more and more human with the help of the people around him. Where in Otonal he is alone, Origin is packed full of people skating with him and supporting him, that's the visual i think Yuzu's trying to give us

ps: i get left cold by Origin too, and i honestly blame Shae Lynn Bourne for that 

i wish yuzu had had Kenji or Nanami choreograph this . . . . especially since it's about kojiki

Very interesting! I've watched Origin again with this interpretation in mind, and I think he's playing the remote god quite believably. Not sure about the 'becoming human' part. :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01: But he'll get there. Also I agree the choreo could be more, but I think the 4 minute length is also to blame for that. 

1 hour ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

....not to rain on your parade, but Yuzu's jump onto the podium is just a waltz jump.... :runaway:

But, according to wiki at least:

Waltz jump, a one-half rotation jump that forms the basis for the Axel jump.

So it should still count lol With the way it's worded, it's like the Origin of the Axel :P (or the quad axel >_>)

4 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Woke up this morning and boy am I not ashamed to say Im happy to not see a new world record :xD:

I literally checked the YouTube several times to make sure there is no possible for a new world record.

Not Even A Thing! So Thank God. 

Plus, we need to have more confidence on our boy since currently nobody can catch him up.