General Yuzuru Chat

51 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

I want to share very personal story. It is kind of sad and if you have lost someone very recently, you probably don´t want to read further. This is also very long, so feel free to skip this.

Hide contents

I have watched figure skating pretty much all of my life, but when I first saw Yuzu on tv, I became his fan. It was Cup of China 2011. I lived with my mother because her health wasn´t the best and she needed my help. My mother couldn´t understand at all what had happened. I think she thought that I had become crazy. When it was competition weekend she just rolled her eyes because I spent so much time watching "some Japanese boy".

When I bought the tickets for the WC 2017 she began to take things more seriously. We had to plan her care for the time that I was in Helsinki, and I know that she watched the competition on tv. After that her attitude changed. She no longer rolled her eyes when I said it was "a Yuzu-weekend". We started to plan our schedule together so that I could watch the competition. She bagan to ask how was the competition and I started to tell her more about Yuzu and show her some pictures and videos.

In January 2018 my mother got sick very seriously and before I could even understand the situation, she passed away. One of the last things she said to me was: "You will be fine. Think about positive things. Think about Yuzu." Her funeral was the day before Yuzu arrived in Korea. The Olympics and the events after that helped me so much. Smiling and happy Yuzu has the best healing power.

When ISU announced about Helsinki GP, I knew right away that I was going there. The only bad thing was that it was held in the same weekend when we have a tradition to go to church to remember our loved ones and light a candle for those who have passed away during the year. I was very sad that I couldn´t attend this but my aunt promised to go there so I traveled to Helsinki.

I have a bad habbit of second guessing myself, and in Helsinki I was asking myself if I was doing the right thing. I was little bit sad and thinking about my mother a lot. I was sitting in the area where Yuzu does the combination in SP and starts the step-sequence. I had priviledge to see that moment three times during the practices and competition, and every time that part of the program moved me to tears. After Yuzu´s perfect SP I found myself thinking that it was the right place for me to be, and that my mother would be so happy to see my happiness. Maybe I needed Yuzu in my life to be able to survive this period of my life. I am so happy that I did go to Helsinki. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

My friends and relatives know that I have intrest in figure skating but they don´t know how bad it is. I am a very private person and for me being a Yuzu-fan is a very private thing. Now I just had this feeling that I want to share my story with people who maybe understand what I am talking about.

That was beautiful, thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad you decided to go in the end and it became such a special experience for you during such a difficult time. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you're coping okay (if not, please do reach out!). Best of luck with everything going forward! 

1 hour ago, lajoitko said:

I want to share very personal story. It is kind of sad and if you have lost someone very recently, you probably don´t want to read further. This is also very long, so feel free to skip this.

Hide contents

I have watched figure skating pretty much all of my life, but when I first saw Yuzu on tv, I became his fan. It was Cup of China 2011. I lived with my mother because her health wasn´t the best and she needed my help. My mother couldn´t understand at all what had happened. I think she thought that I had become crazy. When it was competition weekend she just rolled her eyes because I spent so much time watching "some Japanese boy".

When I bought the tickets for the WC 2017 she began to take things more seriously. We had to plan her care for the time that I was in Helsinki, and I know that she watched the competition on tv. After that her attitude changed. She no longer rolled her eyes when I said it was "a Yuzu-weekend". We started to plan our schedule together so that I could watch the competition. She bagan to ask how was the competition and I started to tell her more about Yuzu and show her some pictures and videos.

In January 2018 my mother got sick very seriously and before I could even understand the situation, she passed away. One of the last things she said to me was: "You will be fine. Think about positive things. Think about Yuzu." Her funeral was the day before Yuzu arrived in Korea. The Olympics and the events after that helped me so much. Smiling and happy Yuzu has the best healing power.

When ISU announced about Helsinki GP, I knew right away that I was going there. The only bad thing was that it was held in the same weekend when we have a tradition to go to church to remember our loved ones and light a candle for those who have passed away during the year. I was very sad that I couldn´t attend this but my aunt promised to go there so I traveled to Helsinki.

I have a bad habbit of second guessing myself, and in Helsinki I was asking myself if I was doing the right thing. I was little bit sad and thinking about my mother a lot. I was sitting in the area where Yuzu does the combination in SP and starts the step-sequence. I had priviledge to see that moment three times during the practices and competition, and every time that part of the program moved me to tears. After Yuzu´s perfect SP I found myself thinking that it was the right place for me to be, and that my mother would be so happy to see my happiness. Maybe I needed Yuzu in my life to be able to survive this period of my life. I am so happy that I did go to Helsinki. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

My friends and relatives know that I have intrest in figure skating but they don´t know how bad it is. I am a very private person and for me being a Yuzu-fan is a very private thing. Now I just had this feeling that I want to share my story with people who maybe understand what I am talking about.

It is absolutely beautiful and heartwarming when your loved ones understand your passion. You and your mother seem to share a very supportive relationship, and that support never leave you, ever.

May your mother rest peacefully knowing that there is a source of happiness and healing to guide you through this very difficult time. I truly wish that you find solace.:8232307:

@lajoitko I'm sorry for your loss, I hope you're feeling better :10742289:

The new theme is amazing! Finally got settled down after Helsinki and catching up news on the Planet :matrix:

My experience going to see him was such a dramatic event I kid you not, it was 10+ hours journey and I arrived Saturday evening. First thing I see online was new WR, my mind was a mess by then because I was super worried for how his free was going to be. I decided only to see what happened when I get to my airbnb so me and my friends was only able to grab some food and walked around for a bit because everything was closing. We got to our airbnb and we did not expect the house to be shared with multiple people (the person didn't  include that in her description) and there was no wifi (the person decided to remove wifi last minute :facepalm:). I sacrifice my money for data because I just had to catch up with short program news. We also barely got any sleep because there was loud music playing... next morning we left the house at 9 and took our time to get to the arena. When we arrived, after walking around for 45 minutes we realised it was the WRONG arena. It was Hartwall arena (I didn't know why/how we ended up going to a wrong one.. blaming my stupid ass) so there cues me panicking because 1. there was no taxi and 2. it was almost 1pm. We called for a taxi but after 15 minutes of waiting we got tired of waiting and called for another one using a taxi app because time was passing by so fast. Ok but, both taxi arrived at the same time :shakehead: so we just quickly went into the first taxi that arrived first and just YOLOed it, arrived at the ice arena almost 2 and quickly went to our seats. So yeah it was an eventful journey to see Yuzu... but I did not regret it because it was such a lovely experience seeing him live :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: I felt bad because I couldn't meet with anyone from the planet because we were tired, sleep deprived and really hungry. I was emotionally not stable as well with the panicking and near death experience seeing Origin :tumblr_inline_mqt4gqDerH1qz4rgp: 

Seeing Haru yo koi live was mesmerising as well, and I saw how he cheekily went behind everyone during the group photo, he KNEW he was going to get lifted :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

So yeah that was my experience, still sleep deprived :13877886:

45 minutes ago, Sammie said:

NBC at it again 🙄

I refuse to read it because I know it'll just piss me off. I already downright hate (And I genuinely do not use that word lightly in this context) nbc and the US sports media's mentality regarding figure skating, I don't want to make things even worse.... the mentality just drives me nuts and makes me want to *mimes chocking someone * 

2 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Hide contents

Thank you very much for sharing. I am very sorry for your loss...and I'm really glad that you went to Helsinki and that it felt like the right choice for you. Your mom knew your love for Yuzu and his skating would help you heal. Reading this...it's very sad, but beautiful, too. Thank you again!

14 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

I refuse to read it because I know it'll just piss me off. I already downright hate (And I genuinely do not use that word lightly in this context) nbc and the US sports media's mentality regarding figure skating, I don't want to make things even worse.... the mentality just drives me nuts and makes me want to *mimes chocking someone * 

Lol, it's just the same old song again: "Chen's Worlds score would have taken Gold at the Olympics; we've never seen Chen and Hanyu hit all their jumps in the same competition". They just conviniently neglect the fact that Yuzu always managed to hit his jumps better than Nathan whenever they were in same competition. I guess they had to write something when Yuzu's total score is 13 pts higher than Nathan's in their analysis.:coolio:

It especially sucks as a US citizen who loves Yuzu because unless we search out the information ourselves, we get fed all the hyped US-only information from the news. I refuse to go on NBC or anything to watch competitions because I know it's gonna be biased propaganda for US skaters. Like, yeah, Nathan is incredible and a lot of what he does is hard af but I can only take so much of US media insisting that Nathan or Adam should have won the Olympic gold over Yuzu, Shoma, or Javi. Suddenly the short program doesn't even exist, I guess

I know it's good to uplift your country's athletes, but completely ignoring and downplaying another athlete's achievements isn't the way to go about it. "If Nathan skated his PB, he would have won!!" lmao yeah and if Yuzu skated his best, literally nobody could have come near him :idk:

Okay, if we're going for the what ifs, then we have to apply it both ways. What if Yuzu never suffered an injury? What if he skated clean in both programs? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but at Worlds, Nathen skated both programs clean with 6 quads landed, right? and he received a total score of 321.40. This didn't even pass Yuzuru's total score at NHK Grand Prix Series, which he skated clean but wasn't at his GPF level. Given that both Nathan and Yuzuru had skated at max potential, so a perfect Nathan would have probably be around 320+ (overscored in PCs) while Yuzu would have be around 330-340 points (anything less would have been a scandal). Yuzu's layout for the free program has a higher based value than his free during GPF with 4 quads, 2 of them in combos, planned. So there's no way he wouldn't have gone over 330 total combination.

40 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

I feel you and I think No one is comparable to Yuzu. Period🙂

2 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Okay, if we're going for the what ifs, then we have to apply it both ways. What if Yuzu never suffered an injury? What if he skated clean in both programs? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but at Worlds, Nathen skated both programs clean with 6 quads landed, right? and he received a total score of 321.40. This didn't even pass Yuzuru's total score at NHK Grand Prix Series, which he skated clean but wasn't as his GPF level. Given that both Nathan and Yuzuru skated at max potential, so a perfect Nathan would probably be around 320+ while Yuzu would be around 330-340 points. Yuzu's layout for the free program has a higher based value than his free during GPF with 4 quads, 2 of them in combos, planned. So there's no way he wouldn't have gone over 330 total combination.

Hehe, we've been through all that right after the Olympics and Worlds, with all the "Nathan would have won if he had skated clean" - literally every point you made was raised. But logic doesn't fit the NBC narrative so whatever.