General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

I'm sure there were many many Japanese people doing the same thing, they do have access to some of this memorabilia (clear files, newspapers, magazines) that the rest of us can't get to, so it's soooooo thoughtful that they do this. But I know there are also many people from all over the world making their own crafts and passing them out to as many fans as they can. As if Yuzu needs anyone to help promote his fan base, LOL!!!

I can't even count all of the clear files and swag I've picked up at skating comps. The fans are amazingly generous. 

8 часов назад, KatjaThera сказал:

I think he did manage a whistle in the end, at some point lol

And I was thinking there must be something wrong with the ice, too. Aside from falls on jumps, Kolyada losing his balance during steps I thought was really weird. Sure, it happens, but it happened to him twice. I don't remember what elements, but not jumps and it was on the far side of the ring (to the right of the judges). I also thought the arena got warmer through the day on Sunday and the ice was definitely melting during the gala - it was warm enough that I didn't the jacket, although on other days I was freezing even with it on. I think that's also why Yuzu struggled a bit to gather ice chips to make it snow, making quite a few people around me laugh.

Now, about the not so positive things discussed here and in the Helsinki thread, regarding audience behavior, here's my impressions (under spoilers, because it's huge :headdesk2:)

Показать контент

Cheering for a skater while another skater is competing or just about to is just plain rude. I admit I myself focused on Yuzu whenever he was in view and tried filming, mostly because I knew TV crews wouldn't, and there could have been cute or interesting moments. As it's still, technically, in public, I'm ok-ish with it. However, anything beyond that is rude. Even if we might not like all the skaters, I believe we should still respect them. Also, this was just my second full competition and there was something else that to me seems a little bit rude. Namely, in practice, during a skater's runthrough, to clap and cheer at another skaters' jumps or spins or whatever. Of course, sometimes it can't be helped - if Yuzu did a 4A while another skater was doing an RT, I doubt anyone would be able to hold back - or the skater with the RT isn't actually doing anything but skating around. But generally, to me it would seem normal to keep reactions subdued at times like that. This was happening with various skaters, it wasn't just a Yuzu thing, though. I have no idea if there's some generally accepted behavior from this pov, though.

Now, as for leaving, I actually noticed quite a few people leaving after Yuzu finished his SP. I, too, thought it was rude. It's hard to slip by unnoticed when it's large numbers of people and the next skater was already introduced. I was sure many were hurrying to catch Yuzu as he walked to the press room. After the SP was over, I was actually going to go to our meeting place, but stumbled upon the crowd. Since I was there anyway, I decided to wait a few minutes, and thought a glimpse would be nice, but I wouldn't try too hard. The crowd was actually not pushing or anything, they were pretty calm. Only when he appeared, everyone flipped their phones up and so you couldn't really see anything anyway. What I do remember - or I might have imagined it, too - is that he looked surprised, a bit of a "wtf?" look. But he bowed and then seemed ok in the press conference. They had barriers and as far as I could see, people were respectful. So I don't think this really bothered him that much, but as pairs was following, I think, it did surprise him.

I don't think Yuzu fans should have to support other skaters or other disciplines. I think forcing yourself to sit through something you don't like, is worse, as you might inadvertently end up being more rude than if you just left.

Also, the event was not sold out and I saw some areas were fuller during ladies than men. Probably because there were two local ladies. And despite the assigned seats, there were many people migrating to better seats and only moving if the seat's rightful owner showed up.

I personally only skipped Rhythm Dance and maybe the first group of Pairs? I don't remember. I wanted to watch as much as possible, but the downside is that by now a lot of it is blurred together and I can only remember a handful of performances and in a way that feels worse than if I hadn't watched them, because all the skaters worked really hard to be there. I believe any normal person cannot help but cheer for every skater when watching live, though. I doubt there are many people who enjoy seeing people fall or make mistakes or have meltdowns. Whoever sets foot on the ice, you end up wanting them to do well. Those who don't, to me, probably have bigger issues than being bad fans of the sport. They're probably not very great as people in general. And this coming from someone who actually doesn't follow any other disciplines than men and doesn't really care as much about any other skater than Yuzu. But it's really hard not to respect them all. To me at least.

I agree that it was warm at the arena (at least on judges side, my friends said it was colder on the opposite, maybe cuz the doors were there), even at morning practice when there was less people I think it was warm enough to open jacket or to seat without it.

About behavior

Спойлер

I agree that screaming for Yuzu when other skater is about to start is rude. I also find it very rude when you scream for your favorite right before the performance, in that moment when everybody stop clapping and an athlete is in his starting pose - I find this screams very destructing, remember that happened to Yulia at CoR. Some people just don't have common sense sadly.

As for other disciplines - I watched Rhythm dance but mostly enjoyed Barbara behind the boards :68468287: I didn't satay to watch Free dance cuz ID was always less interesting event in FS and Saturday was a very long day since men's practice was very early. 

I want to share very personal story. It is kind of sad and if you have lost someone very recently, you probably don´t want to read further. This is also very long, so feel free to skip this.

Spoiler

I have watched figure skating pretty much all of my life, but when I first saw Yuzu on tv, I became his fan. It was Cup of China 2011. I lived with my mother because her health wasn´t the best and she needed my help. My mother couldn´t understand at all what had happened. I think she thought that I had become crazy. When it was competition weekend she just rolled her eyes because I spent so much time watching "some Japanese boy".

When I bought the tickets for the WC 2017 she began to take things more seriously. We had to plan her care for the time that I was in Helsinki, and I know that she watched the competition on tv. After that her attitude changed. She no longer rolled her eyes when I said it was "a Yuzu-weekend". We started to plan our schedule together so that I could watch the competition. She bagan to ask how was the competition and I started to tell her more about Yuzu and show her some pictures and videos.

In January 2018 my mother got sick very seriously and before I could even understand the situation, she passed away. One of the last things she said to me was: "You will be fine. Think about positive things. Think about Yuzu." Her funeral was the day before Yuzu arrived in Korea. The Olympics and the events after that helped me so much. Smiling and happy Yuzu has the best healing power.

When ISU announced about Helsinki GP, I knew right away that I was going there. The only bad thing was that it was held in the same weekend when we have a tradition to go to church to remember our loved ones and light a candle for those who have passed away during the year. I was very sad that I couldn´t attend this but my aunt promised to go there so I traveled to Helsinki.

I have a bad habbit of second guessing myself, and in Helsinki I was asking myself if I was doing the right thing. I was little bit sad and thinking about my mother a lot. I was sitting in the area where Yuzu does the combination in SP and starts the step-sequence. I had priviledge to see that moment three times during the practices and competition, and every time that part of the program moved me to tears. After Yuzu´s perfect SP I found myself thinking that it was the right place for me to be, and that my mother would be so happy to see my happiness. Maybe I needed Yuzu in my life to be able to survive this period of my life. I am so happy that I did go to Helsinki. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

My friends and relatives know that I have intrest in figure skating but they don´t know how bad it is. I am a very private person and for me being a Yuzu-fan is a very private thing. Now I just had this feeling that I want to share my story with people who maybe understand what I am talking about.

8 часов назад, shanshani сказал:

Yeah, but some people justify her PCS with her status as reigning OGM. Which, I mean, I guess that might explain it because so much of PCS is in actuality reputation-based rather than reality-based, but that doesn't explain why Yuzu's PCS have gone down when other men haven't dropped very much at all. (Also, the gap in PCS between Nathan, Shoma, and Yuzu right now is less than the score gap between a single well executed versus so-so quad, so it's basically irrelevant to placements between the three now :13877886:) I guess it's just the rule about high PCS only if you're clean--but that seems to disproportionately punish skaters who have maxed-out PCS whereas skaters who haven't don't seem to take the same PCS hit when they're messy, unless they also don't have a reputation/belong to a strong federation. Well, I guess dodgy judging isn't new.

Alina's PCS became already high even before OGM last year (strong fed and all that).

I agree that in the free Yuzu can have less PCS advantage this time - he was definitely slower and concentrated on jumps then in SP which is understandable. Hope with more training later in the season he will give more power to that stsq and bring back some transitions. And sometimes there are a lot of questionable judging in technical elements, so I gave up on PCS long time ago...

8 часов назад, Sammie сказал:

yes bring it back! 

Yes, hope they will be back! Idk he took it out to have more time to hit all spin levels or just for a programme to be less tiring for now.

9 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

I want to share very personal story. It is kind of sad and if you have lost someone very recently, you probably don´t want to read further. This is also very long, so feel free to skip this.

Reveal hidden contents

I have watched figure skating pretty much all of my life, but when I first saw Yuzu on tv, I became his fan. It was Cup of China 2011. I lived with my mother because her health wasn´t the best and she needed my help. My mother couldn´t understand at all what had happened. I think she thought that I had become crazy. When it was competition weekend she just rolled her eyes because I spent so much time watching "some Japanese boy".

When I bought the tickets for the WC 2017 she began to take things more seriously. We had to plan her care for the time that I was in Helsinki, and I know that she watched the competition on tv. After that her attitude changed. She no longer rolled her eyes when I said it was "a Yuzu-weekend". We started to plan our schedule together so that I could watch the competition. She bagan to ask how was the competition and I started to tell her more about Yuzu and show her some pictures and videos.

In January 2018 my mother got sick very seriously and before I could even understand the situation, she passed away. One of the last things she said to me was: "You will be fine. Think about positive things. Think about Yuzu." Her funeral was the day before Yuzu arrived in Korea. The Olympics and the events after that helped me so much. Smiling and happy Yuzu has the best healing power.

When ISU announced about Helsinki GP, I knew right away that I was going there. The only bad thing was that it was held in the same weekend when we have a tradition to go to church to remember our loved ones and light a candle for those who have passed away during the year. I was very sad that I couldn´t attend this but my aunt promised to go there so I traveled to Helsinki.

I have a bad habbit of second guessing myself, and in Helsinki I was asking myself if I was doing the right thing. I was little bit sad and thinking about my mother a lot. I was sitting in the area where Yuzu does the combination in SP and starts the step-sequence. I had priviledge to see that moment three times during the practices and competition, and every time that part of the program moved me to tears. After Yuzu´s perfect SP I found myself thinking that it was the right place for me to be, and that my mother would be so happy to see my happiness. Maybe I needed Yuzu in my life to be able to survive this period of my life. I am so happy that I did go to Helsinki. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

My friends and relatives know that I have intrest in figure skating but they don´t know how bad it is. I am a very private person and for me being a Yuzu-fan is a very private thing. Now I just had this feeling that I want to share my story with people who maybe understand what I am talking about.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you and your mother were able to share the joy of Yuzu together.  Hopefully you will be able keep those moments in your heart even through your grief.  

I understand what you mean.  My appreciation of Yuzu is also a very private thing to me.  Partially because my family is still at the point of thinking I'm crazy....

35 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

Hide contents

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story, it made me tear up :tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5: I know your mother must be watching you and happy for you for finding something that makes you happy :tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5:

Just a random thing . So I  went  to  my  Japanese  class  today and I  said  I won't be  able  to   come  next  week  . My teacher asked why,  obviously , and I explained  I  was  going  to  Russia  to  see FS  event  and  to see  one  very  special guy ,  and  showed  her  Yuzu's  picture  on IG. And she  went   :" OHHHH!! YUZU!!   Take  A LOT of  pictures please!" 

Just  a  side  note: she  is  Japanese  but  she's  been  living  outside  of  Japan  for like  20  years  , and  there are  no Japanese around  here,  you  can  count  them on  the  fingers of  one hand  probably , and  she  is  not  a FS fan  at all, not even near . But  when it  comes  to Yuzu,  it's  a  different  story , probably . It warmed  my heart  so much  

:img_21: :img_21::img_21:

51 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm very sorry for your loss :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: And thank you so much for sharing. Reading stories like this always makes me think that Yuzu really does some amazing things even indirectly.

41 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

Reveal hidden contents

My condolences for your late mother, may her soul rest in peace.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to bare open one of the most intimate part of yourself to other people, let alone to strangers on the internet, so I only want to let you know that your story fell on an empathetic ear, and I wish you strength and solace still to go through what you are still feeling now :10742289:.

While it made me feel sad to read your story, it made me also feel relief and joy, to know that Yuzu's skating can bring such a powerful, uplifting effect on the spirit of the people watching him. Something that inspires courage in the soul of human being.

As a final word, I just want to assure you, that you are welcome here, along with other fans of Yuzu <3:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

:10742289::10742289: