General Yuzuru Chat

17 minutes ago, Whee1000 said:

My Japanese is very (very very very) weak but I am wondering if the term was "shikkari shite", which can mean something like "keep going, keep it up," as well as "pull yourself together."  (Maybe I'm using the term wrong, but when my relatives are moping about I tell them "shikkari shite!")

The actual term used was 元気を出して (Genki wo dashite) which can be translated as "Cheer up." "Keep it up" can be another translation of it depending on the situation. "Pull oneself together" seems to be used as a translation of 立ち直る (which can be translated as get over/comeback) sometimes, so I think the original poster's choice is understandable too.

I translated the whole excerpt from the Chinese source, please let me know if there's any better translations I can put in! 

https://yuzuru-hanyu-central.tumblr.com/post/179628174489/team-brian-translations-yuzurus-tribute-to     [twitter link]

Brian Orser’s father passed away on 3rd March 2017, he didn’t tell anyone about it, and continued to work at TCC as if nothing happened. 

“Yuzuru seemed to notice something different about me, which is quite remarkable. Usually during practice, Yuzuru is very focused on himself, paying attention to the training content, his own body, or the techniques, so during practice he wouldn’t normally talk with other skaters or rest. But at that time, Yuzuru would observe my expression and empathise with me. Yuzuru had been through the earthquake disaster in Japan, perhaps that’s why he is so sensitive to others’ loss. So at that time as I felt heavy-hearted, Yuzuru felt the same, and he’d watch me from far away as I secretly grieve/let out a sigh. 

At the beginning, I thought Yuzuru’s sensitivity was my own imagination, after all I was so upset that my worldview changed. More importantly, for Yuzuru and Javier, the World Championships before the Olympic Games is approaching, and our conversations would revolve around the competition. For Yuzuru, winning the title of the the Defending World Champion before the Olympics is very important, and Yuzuru really did it. I’m so proud of him. There’s nothing better than this leading to the Olympic Games. 

Both of them participated in the gala. Usually I’d leave early without watching the gala, but this time I watched both their performances at the rink site. 

Yuzuru’s exhibition is the swan-themed “Notte Stellata”. It’s choreographed by David Wilson, one of our choreographers in Team Brian, for the jumps there’s only a single axel and a triple axel. It’s done such that everyone will be able to enjoy Yuzuru’s gorgeous skating, it’s a stunning program. The program depicts a dying swan spreading its wings once again, till that day Yuzuru skated it with the image of the recovery of the disaster area in mind. That day, Yuzuru portrayed a white swan that is more beautiful and gentle than any other. 

Later, something surprising happened. After the performance, Yuzuru returned to the rink site, and told me “I was thinking about Brian’s father while skating”. 

Yuzuru performed a tribute to my late father. I was surprised that Yuzuru who usually doesn’t talk much, expressed condolence to my father with such clarity. From this program, he conveyed the message to me so that I can cheer up/pull myself together again. For me, who still haven’t gotten over my father’s death, that moment brought a very big change from the bottom of my heart. 

It’s been 6 years since I worked with Yuzuru as a coach and student. I thought that we understood each other and formed the strongest team, but this was the first time it made me feel that Yuzuru is actually supporting me by my side. 

The 2nd Olympic Games that Yuzuru will face together with me is approaching in 10 months. For the upcoming Olympic Games, I’ve resolved from the bottom of my heart, that no matter how difficult things may come in our way, I will stride forward with Yuzuru. 

Of course I never would’ve thought that I would experience such an epic Olympic season. Not just as a coach - as a friend, a human being, I will promise to support Yuzuru the best I can.”

Some Weibo comments that I thought was heartfelt: 

"People often talk about empathy, it seemed like it's a psychological term. A person who is sensitive, would gently, silently think about you, they won't rush up to you to comfort you, but they would show their concern through their actions. Someone who doesn't make you feel smothered at all, he might really be an angel, else how would every fibre of him show such kindness and gentleness." 

"Those who are sensitive are often fragile, as a protect mechanism they often isolate themselves when they are sad, but never once did he ignore the distress of those around him. A twenty-plus year old person, from where did he get so much love and kindness..." 

Thank you @sweetwater for suggesting some translation improvements! 

My thoughts on the matter: 

10 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yuzu expressed his concern for his superior in the most thoughtful manner - he knew that Brian didn't want to talk about it, and perhaps it was not Yuzu's place, nor will it be effective for him to comfort Brian since he is not Brian's equal. Brian could've felt guilty that his grieving led people, especially his students, to be worried about him, and hide his emotions more. That's why Yuzu didn't call him out, but quietly watched Brian from afar, to give him personal space to grieve. 

And when the time is right, Yuzu showed that he cares for Brian, by still thinking about Brian's father weeks after, and dedicating a skate to him. When most people would've forgotten about Brian's father after a simple expression of condolence, or pretended to busy themselves in the competition when they don't know how to make Brian feel better. 

But Yuzu is different - he knows not to confront Brian on such a personal, sensitive matter as a student, and he knows not to sweep Brian's plight under the carpet just because it's sensitive, because Brian's father still matters to Brian, even if he didn't talk about it. Yuzu showed that what's important to Brian is important to him too, and that's probably the most touching way to show another person that you care about him as a human. 

I am like 15 months younger than Yuzu, and I would never have thought of such a mature way to handle others' grief. Yuzu awes me every day, when I thought he couldn't be any more wonderful, I am surprised with information others share about him. How he expressed kindness when no one is watching, how he encouraged his juniors even in private occasions. He is just too beautiful for this world. 

17 minutes ago, Salior said:

I translated the whole excerpt from the Chinese source, please let me know if there's any better translations I can put in! 

https://yuzuru-hanyu-central.tumblr.com/post/179628174489/team-brian-translations-yuzurus-tribute-to

Brian Orser’s father passed away on 3rd March 2017, he didn’t tell anyone about it, and continued to work at TCC as if nothing happened. 

“Yuzuru seemed to notice something different about me, which is quite remarkable. Usually during practice, Yuzuru is very focused on himself, paying attention to the training content, his own body, or the techniques, so during practice he wouldn’t normally talk with other skaters or rest. But at that time, Yuzuru would observe my expression and empathise with me. Yuzuru had been through the earthquake disaster in Japan, perhaps that’s why he is so sensitive to others’ loss. So at that time as I felt heavy-hearted, Yuzuru felt the same, and he’d watch me from far away as I secretly grieve/let out a sigh. 

At the beginning, I thought Yuzuru’s sensitivity was my own imagination, after all I was so upset that my worldview changed. More importantly, for Yuzuru and Javier, the World Championships before the Olympic Games is approaching, and both of them would often talk about the competition. For Yuzuru, winning the title of the the Defending World Champion before the Olympics is very important, and Yuzuru really did it. I’m so proud of him. There’s nothing better than this leading to the Olympic Games. 

Both of them participated in the gala. Usually I’d leave early without watching the gala, but this time I watched both their performance at the rink site. 

Yuzuru’s exhibition is the swan-themed “Notte Stellata”. It’s choreographed by David Wilson, one of our choreographers in Team Brian, for the jumps there’s only a single axel and a triple axel. It’s done such that everyone will be able to enjoy Yuzuru’s gorgeous skating, it’s a stunning program. The program depicts a dying swan spreading its wings once again, till that day Yuzuru skated it with the image of the recovery of the disaster area in mind. That day, Yuzuru portrayed a white swan that is more beautiful and gentle than any other. 

Later, something surprising happened. After the performance, Yuzuru returned to the rink site, and told me “I was thinking about Brian’s father while skating”. 

Yuzuru performed a tribute to my late father. I was surprised that Yuzuru who usually doesn’t talk much, expressed condolence to my father with such clarity. From this program, he conveyed the message to me so that I can cheer up/pull myself together again. For me, who still haven’t gotten over my father’s death, that moment brought a very big change from the bottom of my heart. 

It’s been 6 years since I worked with Yuzuru as a coach and student. I thought that we understood each other and formed the strongest team, but this was the first time that made me feel that Yuzuru is supporting me by my side. 

The 2nd Olympic Games that Yuzuru will face together with me is approaching in 10 months. For the upcoming Olympic Games, I’ve resolved from the bottom of my heart, that no matter how difficult things may come in our way, I will stride forward with Yuzuru. 

Of course I never would’ve thought that I would experience such a spectacular Olympic season. Not just as a coach, as a friend, a human being, I will promise to support Yuzuru the best I can.”

:tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5: That Swan was indeed very different. What a gift he has, conveying that kind of emotion with his art is just...:tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5: It seems so thoughtful, how he wanted to send a message to Brian, who has been so important to him. And he does it in the best way he could think of.

He's such a gentle soul:tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5:

1 hour ago, Salior said:

https://yuzuru-hanyu-central.tumblr.com/post/179628174489/team-brian-translations-yuzurus-tribute-to

At the beginning, I thought Yuzuru’s sensitivity was my own imagination, after all I was so upset that my worldview changed. More importantly, for Yuzuru and Javier, the World Championships before the Olympic Games is approaching, and both of them would often talk about the competition. For Yuzuru, winning the title of the the Defending World Champion before the Olympics is very important, and Yuzuru really did it. I’m so proud of him. There’s nothing better than this leading to the Olympic Games. 

Both of them participated in the gala. Usually I’d leave early without watching the gala, but this time I watched both their performances at the rink site. 

It’s been 6 years since I worked with Yuzuru as a coach and student. I thought that we understood each other and formed the strongest team, but this was the first time that made me feel that Yuzuru is supporting me by my side. 

Of course I never would’ve thought that I would experience such a spectacular Olympic season. Not just as a coach, as a friend, a human being, I will promise to support Yuzuru the best I can.”

Some Weibo comments that I thought was heartfelt: 

"People often talk about empathy, it seemed like it's a psychological term. A person who is sensitive, would gently, silently think about you, they won't rush up to you to comfort you, but they would show their concern through their actions. Someone who doesn't make you feel smothered at all, he might really be an angel, else how would every fibre of him show such kindness and gentleness." 

"Those who are sensitive are often fragile, as a protect mechanism they often isolate themselves when they are sad, but never once did he ignore the distress of those around him. A twenty-plus year old person, from where did he get so much love and kindness..." 

NOOOOOOOO~ No-no-no-no-!

I'm NOT crying. I- I'm NOT, do you hear me?

*come back to watch and cry about NS again*