General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, IULIANA said:

Some cute reading, guys...

They managed to make it sound as if Yuzu had 223 points for his short and 330 for his free program. Lol 

and Yuzu is just on the path to become a figure skating legend. Oh yay. Who’s there ahead of him, dare one ask?

Just want to drop in and say, what really help me a lot when I need to find information really quickly on Yuzu's skating or layouts in the past are these two threads. These two threads compile all the information on all competitive seasons Yuzuru competed in since Novice level through Senior level. They have information on everything including the results, the layouts, links to ISU protocols and videos of the skate. I can't thank @Gingers and @kaeryth enough to take the time to collect these information in one place and in such organized way so we can have easy access to them. For those who don't know where the threads are located, they are located in "Translations and Media" and under "Compilation" section. This forum is truly full of hidden jews. I still come across threads and posts I've never seen before nowadays. Big thanks to the members and administrators that keep this forum going and keep record of Yuzu's skating career and skating updates in general. Personally, it is hard for me to navigate through sites like Twitter and Tumblr when I want to find a specific detail in the past, but PH has made it easier for me to revisit a piece of information with its threads and search engine.

23 часа назад, Yoa сказал:

So I bought a few individual English classes on Lingoda (so expensive.. :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:). Last week, I had a class about celebrities, fame and similar things and I talked a lot about Yuzuru. How popular he is in figure skating world, how he deals with pressure, that he doesn't have any social media and is a very private person, how inspiring he is etc. Today I had a class with the same teacher and he told me that after our previous class he googled "my Japanese figure skater" and that he is a great skater and a person.

:knc_brian1:

And we have a class about celebrities that we're a fan of at my Japanese class now  :xD:Teacher want us to make a small presentation and said will be nice to make a presentation about a native celebrity but I'm like... no way  :space:will not miss a chance to talk about Yuzu (especially when he is one of my best motivators to study all this)))

19 часов назад, kaeryth сказал:

!!!!!!

That's all I needed after hard day/week/month at work and a class after that to get mu spirit up! 

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

On the other hand, I don't really know about weaknesses... Personally, I don't think I'd be as big a fan if Yuzu were perfect day in, day out. His unpredictability is part of his charm, I think. The passion, the feelings and the mind that make you unsure of what exactly will happen, but in the same time, absolutely sure you're watching a human and not a robot. That to me is part of the magic of watching him skate.

Waaaay back in 2012, Kurt said part of the reason Yuzu was so exciting to watch was that "you never know what you're going to get..." and that's still true. 

5 часов назад, makebelieveup сказал:

ince we had many discussions previously about how great Yuzu is as a skater and person -- his abililty to overcome obstacles and withstand pressure. But if the forum allows, I would like to know what you guys perceive as his weakness(es) as a skater?

When I became a fan in 2011-2012 it surely was stamina but later as he grew up he became much better with it.

Sometimes his overthinking mentality became a weakness (all this 4S and CoD mental blocks + putting too much pressure on himself wanting to be foot perfect all the time). But at the same time he has strong mentality as an athlete (and he got it the hard way), so it's just part of his character.

Without flaws where would be the fun? :68468287:

4 часа назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

But rather than his skating per se, I think Yuzu's biggest weakness for his competition programs lies in his tendency to get attached to certain things. He has his 'darlings' - the side lunge, the hydroblade, the pancake spin, the bielman and the Ina Bauer - that he likes to put into every single program. Likewise, his taste slants strongly in a certain direction in terms of music and costuming. Any time he's done something different in that regard, it's usually been at someone else's suggestion. So if there is an area where he can still improve, I'd say it's that - to keep trying new things and to recognize when the old favorites aren't going to serve him well. 

I agree. I could live with longer hydro or IB in Origin, not necessary to do both (though maybe for this programme he wanted all his signature moves).

I'm OK with the fact that he has certain music tastes for skating, at least he's gone on board with Jeff's suggestions before, not like he didn't ever tried other then lyrical/drama. I'm always torn cuz I love him in more rocky/sassy style like PW/LGC, but at the same time I adore him when he skates to the music that he really feels (still waiting for tango/flamenco programme though))).

41 minutes ago, Lunna said:

I agree. I could live with longer hydro or IB in Origin, not necessary to do both (though maybe for this programme he wanted all his signature moves).

I'm OK with the fact that he has certain music tastes for skating, at least he's gone on board with Jeff's suggestions before, not like he didn't ever tried other then lyrical/drama. I'm always torn cuz I love him in more rocky/sassy style like PW/LGC, but at the same time I adore him when he skates to the music that he really feels (still waiting for tango/flamenco programme though))).

I don't see why he doesn't do a piece by One OK Rock or Bump of Chicken, or whatever it is he's listening to before he goes on the ice. He seems to really feel that music and it looks like fun. 

Mmmh I don't think I like to talk about strenghts and weaknesses... because they are never a stable thing - they change, they evolve, they are temporary. I can only say that one thing that distinguishes Yuzuru from other top skaters is the humanity he puts into his skating. It's never just a performance - it's always about him, it's always about his life. 

I'll leave others to say whether it's a strenght or a weakness. It can and it has definitely been both. But that's the beauty of it. 

36 minutes ago, Lunna said:

I have to agree also.  Take the Ina Bauer.  In some of his programs the move seems almost perfunctory as if it's there just to be there.  But then, for instance, in POTO the Ina Bauer near the end of the FS is right on, absolutely perfect for both the music and what has been leading up to it.  It has a dramatic significance that could not be bettered by any other move.  So yes, Yuzu does  have his signature moves, as does Shoma, although not as many, but Shoma almost always puts his cantilever in at least his FS, so we should not see a penchant for getting favorite moves into programs as something only Yuzu has.  I do wish Yuzu would work with Jeffrey on a long program, though.  His short programs with Buttle have been very successful.  PW, for instance, enabled Yuzu to set 4 world records, in that context the most successful of Yuzu's programs.  But Jeffrey brings out the swaggering, over-testosteroned teenage delinquent in Yuzu, an element of his character I would like to see much more often.  With his boy-band good looks and the hair-style of LGC Yuzu looks positively dangerous.  Add a pair of sunglasses and Yuzu would be absolutely the image of the boy parents would do everything they could to stop their daughter from dating.  Jeffrey seems to bring out an element in Yuzu no other choreographer has been able to tap into except whoever was responsible for Hello, I Love You, although there Yuzu's 'garbage-sack' PVC pants were a significant contributor to that program's aura. 

What I have perceived in looking at Yuzu's programs through the years, though, is that they generally fall into three categories.  The first are the strongly dramatic, almost over-the-top ones like RJ1 and POTO.  Then are the more restrained, almost meditative yet nonetheless intense programs, in which Seimei is the best example.  Then there are the programs like Hello, I Love You, PW and LGC.  In these Yuzu the 'bad boy' is highlighted.  All of these bring out certain aspects of Yuzu's persona, aspects which are only revealed in his skating or, perhaps, in the video games he chooses to play.  I think it would be extremely interesting to see what video games he plays most often.

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

Waaaay back in 2012, Kurt said part of the reason Yuzu was so exciting to watch was that "you never know what you're going to get..." and that's still true. 

Kurt sounds like Forrest Gump saying that...comparing Yuzu to a box of chocolates...

....kind of fits, considering how sweet he is and his Lotte sponsorship. :snmouchotto:

1 minute ago, micaelis said:

I have to agree also.  Take the Ina Bauer.  In some of his programs the move seems almost perfunctory as if it's there just to be there.  But then, for instance, in POTO the Ina Bauer near the end of the FS is right on, absolutely perfect for both the music and what has been leading up to it.  It has a dramatic significance that could not be bettered by any other move.  So yes, Yuzu does  have his signature moves, as does Shoma, although not as many, but Shoma almost always puts his cantilever in at least his FS, so we should not see a penchant for getting favorite moves into programs as something only Yuzu has.  I do wish Yuzu would work with Jeffrey on a long program, though.  His short programs with Buttle have been very successful.  PW, for instance, enabled Yuzu to set 4 world records, in that context the most successful of Yuzu's programs.  But Jeffrey brings out the swaggering, over-testosteroned teenage delinquent in Yuzu, an element of his character I would like to see much more often.  With his boy-band good looks and the hair-style of LGC Yuzu looks positively dangerous.  Add a pair of sunglasses and Yuzu would be absolutely the image of the boy parents would do everything they could to stop their daughter from dating.  Jeffrey seems to bring out an element in Yuzu no other choreographer has been able to tap into except whoever was responsible for Hello, I Love You, although there Yuzu's 'garbage-sack' PVC pants were a significant contributor to that program's aura. 

What I have perceived in looking at Yuzu's programs through the years, though, is that they generally fall into three categories.  The first are the strongly dramatic, almost over-the-top ones like RJ1 and POTO.  Then are the more restrained, almost meditative yet nonetheless intense programs, in which Seimei is the best example.  Then there are the programs like Hello, I Love You, PW and LGC.  In these Yuzu the 'bad boy' is highlighted.  All of these bring out certain aspects of Yuzu's persona, aspects which are only revealed in his skating or, perhaps, in the video games he chooses to play.  I think it would be extremely interesting to see what video games he plays most often.

Kurt choreographed Hello I love you. Actually Kurt is really into 'bad boy' Yuzu and tends to be disappointed at Yuzu's quiet or dramatic programmes (he wasn't into Requiem that much for example). I'm sure he could choreograph one hell of a sexy short programme for Yuzu too :) 

2 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Kurt choreographed Hello I love you. Actually Kurt is really into 'bad boy' Yuzu and tends to be disappointed at Yuzu's quiet or dramatic programmes (he wasn't into Requiem that much for example). I'm sure he could choreograph one hell of a sexy short programme for Yuzu too :) 

Kurt really specializes in the funny/sexy though - he's the one who did Super Javi for Javi. H, ILY has that sassy sensibility, it's not just about the sex appeal, it's about light-heartedness and fun. I'd love to see what he would make for Yuzu now, but TBH I think Jeffrey's already stolen that march with LGC. 

19 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I also like his ina baur in RJ 2.0 since the move was perfect to the music. I like his hydroblade in Notte Stellata and H&L. I didn't think the ina baur and hydroblade were that necessary for Origin and Otonal, respectively.

15 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Yeah, I notice that too haha He tends to use words like "rock star" and "cool" to describe Yuzu in more upbeat programs like PW or LGC. I think he appreciates Chopin and Seimei, though, since he usually commented that Yuzu is the only skater who could balance both the artistry and athleticism for those programs. But yeah, he def sounds a lot less excited at more mellow/quiet programs and would divert his attention more toward Yuzu's popularity rather than the program itself