General Yuzuru Chat

The whole topic of age coming up;

I reckon he can skate until 2022, if he is healthy by then. And if by some miracle, his ankle and motivation and will still holds up after Beijing Olympics, 

he might do 1 ~ 2 seasons after olympics like Javi, or just skate at Worlds. 

And by some miracle from another planet, he wants to do a 4th olympics? It's not impossible. He will be 31 in 2026. He can always just skate the Team Event like Plu did in Sochi, for national pride or celebration of the end of his career. 

I just wonder... they say Yuzu is shielded from all media stuff and things written about him.

But if he actually does watch old skates (like Plushenko's or Weir's), he probably needs to go to youtube at some point (unless someone is getting them for him). Is it possible he doesn't have any Yuzu video in his suggestion list? 

I think he must have seen plenty of them...

I think whether he will continue on after this season or to next Olympics or even 2026 or not depend not on his age but mostly on his motivation. As BOser said, he always needs a goal in mind or have something to achieve. By far all his dreams he's been saying since the start is pretty much complete, except for the 4A. So If he landed Nessie this season,  we'll have to see if he will have another goal in mind or not. If so, I would love to see him continue as long as he want to :D

2 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I just wonder... they say Yuzu is shielded from all media stuff and things written about him.

But if he actually does watch old skates (like Plushenko's or Weir's), he probably needs to go to youtube at some point (unless someone is getting them for him). Is it possible he doesn't have any Yuzu video in his suggestion list? 

I think he must have seen plenty of them...

I don't think Yuzu is complete "shielded" from public contents about himself. In fact, he appears quite aware of them. For example, at the post-Olympics press conference in Japan, a journalist asked a question, and Yuzu recognized him and thanked him for an on-TV analysis of his skating the journalist did, saying that he have watched it. Also at the conference, when the host asked him about people saying Shoma could have won if he didn't fall, he said "I know a lot of people have being discussing this, and I'm sorry if some fans feel upset about it, but I can say that I was sure I would win the second I finished my program." 

And he has definitely seen many videos of himself on Youtube. I can't recall the name of the TV program, but in an interview he said he searches for his own performances online. Sometimes he watches the good ones to build images of jumps, and sometimes he look for fancams for a different angle.

I guess his team may shield him as much as possible from meaningless things like rumors made by tabloids. And he himself probably tries to ignore them, like he said in the 2016 documentary, "I want to be alone/lonely, so that I can stay away from distractions." But I think he's aware of all the debates of the skating world, his own public image on mainstream media, and stuff like that.

As for how long Yuzu's going to continue skating... I guess Yuzu himself may not even know right now, and he totally could find new motivations after the +5GOE 4A. My main concern is his health. He's definitely not old among male skaters, but his body is among the few that has endured the most injuries. I have once chatted with a Yuzu fan who also happens to be a sports physician and has worked with top competitive figure skaters. She said with Yuzu's public track record of injuries, she'd be extremely surprised if he continued for another 4 years... Of course it's only an opinion, from a doctor who after all have never seen Yuzu in person, so it's not in anyway guaranteed accurate. But it just made me think, sometimes it's easy for us to underestimate how hard it is for skaters to stay on top, even only physically. (And I say "stay on top" because Yuzu has stated that, as he continues, that's the only place he'll aim for.)

Remember last media day when Brian said Yuzu was ready for the Olympics already and Yuzu said he was only skating at 80% of his full potential? I think he must still have many things he wants to work on, though I wonder if he feels it necessary to do all that while competing. Besides 4A he also mentioned that he's still chasing his ideal skate and I think that's probably much more elusive than 4A.

I wonder what Yuzu at 100% looks like. 

49 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

I don't think Yuzu is complete "shielded" from public contents about himself. In fact, he appears quite aware of them. For example, at the post-Olympics press conference in Japan, a journalist asked a question, and Yuzu recognized him and thanked him for an on-TV analysis of his skating the journalist did, saying that he have watched it. Also at the conference, when the host asked him about people saying Shoma could have won if he didn't fall, he said "I know a lot of people have being discussing this, and I'm sorry if some fans feel upset about it, but I can say that I was sure I would win the second I finished my program." 

And he has definitely seen many videos of himself on Youtube. I can't recall the name of the TV program, but in an interview he said he searches for his own performances online. Sometimes he watches the good ones to build images of jumps, and sometimes he look for fancams for a different angle.

I guess his team may shield him as much as possible from meaningless things like rumors made by tabloids. And he himself probably tries to ignore them, like he said in the 2016 documentary, "I want to be alone/lonely, so that I can stay away from distractions." But I think he's aware of all the debates of the skating world, his own public image on mainstream media, and stuff like that.

Nicely said. Guess I haven't done my research properly. Also I haven't seen many interviews with subtitles. Looks like I need to learn Japanese or use planet resources...

:happy0158:

4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Remember last media day when Brian said Yuzu was ready for the Olympics already and Yuzu said he was only skating at 80% of his full potential? I think he must still have many things he wants to work on, though I wonder if he feels it necessary to do all that while competing. Besides 4A he also mentioned that he's still chasing his ideal skate and I think that's probably much more elusive than 4A.

in all fairness this memory could be a fever dream i concocted in the insanity after the 2017 Worlds FS but:

Spoiler

remember how he said after that skate that he thought he was skating at only 20-30%????????? ive been screaming ever since!!!!!!!

also he did say that didn't he???

Ah, so this year's magazine cover invasion is by a black T-shirt! I liked last year's white one better, since it went well with the trees in the background, but Yuzu in any color is amazing Yuzu! :grin: Since you  seem to be going for basic colors, Yuzu, maybe try  some basic gold next year? ;) 

And lmao Jack really is digging up Youtube for good fanyu videos isn't he?

4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

My guess is with his "constantly evolve" mindset, we'll probably never hear "that's my 100%" from Yuzu. But when he feels satisfied he's achieved something (like winning a consecutive OGM lol) we may get to hear "it's 100% of me on this day!" 

12 minutes ago, salty said:

in all fairness this memory could be a fever dream i concocted in the insanity after the 2017 Worlds FS but:

Reveal hidden contents

remember how he said after that skate that he thought he was skating at only 20-30%????????? ive been screaming ever since!!!!!!!

also he did say that didn't he???

Spoiler

Yes he did, though I'm not sure if it was after worlds or WTT. Around the same time we were also shown 4Lutz footage and life size images of Yuzu doing 4A... the insanity of the pre-Olympic off season!!!