General Yuzuru Chat

Random thoughts: Yuzu is now surrounded by new bloods. Almost all of his original skating buddies/competitors are now retired. I think this just proves how much he loves the sport for him to continue like this. He got nothing more to prove especially with his 2 OGM, yet here he is, still giving us something to look forward to in his skating career. 

4 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Random thoughts: Yuzu is now surrounded by new bloods. Almost all of his original skating buddies/competitors are now retired. I think this just proves how much he loves the sport for him to continue like this. He got nothing more to prove especially with his 2 OGM, yet here he is, still giving us something to look forward to in his skating career. 

Guys,  he's only 23!! I know skaters have a limited lifespan in the sport, but not that limited! Yes, Yuzu's had injuries etc, but as long as he feels his body can handle it, I feel confident he's not going to quit anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Guys,  he's only 23!! I know skaters have a limited lifespan in the sport, but not that limited! Yes, Yuzu's had injuries etc, but as long as he feels his body can handle it, I feel confident he's not going to quit anytime soon. 

LOL because Yuzu always reminds the Japanese Media that he isn't that old. It's because he's been around the sport for so long without breaks. This is his 9th Senior year, and he has never had a season off, ever in his career. 
People get the impression he's ancient because he's never been off the spotlight since 2012, when he rose to the senior stage.

And considering Plushenko was like in his late 20s at Vancouver Olympics, I don't think Yuzu is old. If Yuzu really wants to compete as long as Plushenko, he could even skate at the team event in 2026 olympics, because Plu did that at 31, and pulled out of the singles event. 

1 minute ago, Sammie said:

Plushenko is 35 :jaw: I thought he was older!! Early 40 or something  :slinkaway:

According to wikipedia he was born in November 1982, and didn't officially retire from competition until March 2017...his world ranking in the 2015-2016 season was 160th...I can't imagine what competitions he was skating in at that point but wow. Guess he was enjoying it because why else keep at it? 

20 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

People get the impression he's ancient because he's never been off the spotlight since 2012, when he rose to the senior stage.

But he was not only a mere infant when he moved up to the seniors, he started with a bang (2012 worlds) and has in the absolute top rank pretty much since he did that...

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

LOL because Yuzu always reminds the Japanese Media that he isn't that old. It's because he's been around the sport for so long without breaks. This is his 9th Senior year, and he has never had a season off, ever in his career. 

And considering Plushenko was like in his late 20s at Vancouver Olympics, I don't think Yuzu is old. If Yuzu really wants to compete as long as Plushenko, he could even skate at the team event in 2026 olympics, because Plu did that at 31, and pulled out of the singles event. 

Yuzuru became a senior in 2010 when he was 15 yrs old actually... which is probably why it feels like forever ago bc if you think abt it him and Jason B. and heck, Maxim Kovtun and Mikhail Kolyada are all roughly the same age but no one says anything abt how Jason, Kovtun or Kolyada are old ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Rly the big difference is Yuzuru was a hyped and talented Junior who carries the hype to Seniors and consistently delivers on that hype. No disrespect to Jason, Kovtun or Kolyada ofc, but all three had a "rough patch" where they weren't able to deliver on the hype surrounding them and didn't fulfill the audience's expectations, so had attention taken off them during that "patch" as a result.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not looking at it in the context of age, but just the fact that he has already achieved so much in his career that you'd think he'd move on already. But here he is, proving just how much he loves skating as a whole and not just the aspect of winning.

2 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Not looking at it in the context of age, but just the fact that he has already achieved so much in his career that you'd think he'd move on already. But here he is, proving just how much he loves skating as a whole and not just the aspect of winning.

I feel as if he's just getting started. Like, he's achieved everything that an athlete would want, twice over, in terms of medals etc, so now it's uncharted territory, he can do anything he wants. And it won't be like anything we've seen before.