General Yuzuru Chat

The new Number translation kind of made me confused.

In 2017, Yuzu said that an athlete's body peaks at 30, and he said that his possibilities are therefore quite endless at this point.

But in the recent Number interview, he said he will retire by 28. 

And in 2015, he said he will retire at 23.

Which Yuzuru Hanyu should I believe, the 2015, 2017 or 2018 version? :xD::sadPooh:

29 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

In 2017, Yuzu said that an athlete's body peaks at 30, and he said that his possibilities are therefore quite endless at this point.

Which Yuzuru Hanyu should I believe, the 2015, 2017 or 2018 version? :xD::sadPooh:

Don't forget, in every case, he's talking about future plans. "Difficult to see is the future, always in motion..." --> he has no more idea than anyone else what'll happen to him, so naturally he can't give a definite answer as to when he might r-word. He might have a hazy of idea of what it is that'll give him the idea that it's time to stop competing, but that's probably all. 

When you climb a mountain, often you see higher peaks to climb next. I really believe Yuzu is this kind of person, and probably won't r-word until he can see no more peaks. 

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

A part of me craves that what Yuzu really is aiming for is a clean program with a clean 4A landing. He wouldn't want to retire with a program with a clean 4A, but a messy consistency. He probably won't be satisfied with his performance unless it's clean. 

Another part of me is that Yuzu craves to skate a clean olympic free before he retires, but maybe not, because he already has 2 OGM, despite the 2 frees having a few mistakes. 

Unlike Sochi's FS, Yuzu's actually satisfied w his PC FS even w the mistake. He said many times he did his best in that FS, and satisfied w the result. It's been 7 months since the Olympics but he never showed any 'kuyashii' towards that skate. It never happened before. So yeah, it depends on the situation, that "he's never satisfied w/o a clean skate" is also relative now as he grows into another stage of his career.

I think Yuzuru is kind of keeping himself free of any kind of commitment. He will 'probably' be retired in 5 years, he doesn't know if he will do Beijing,  when asked how long he will continue to skate for he doesn't know or his answers are vague. Because if he says 4 more years and go to Beijing...he can't skate free of pressure and expectation, he's got to do everything he can between now and Beijing to make sure he can go and win, and has to skate with that goal in mind. [I think] he wants some time without that pressure and to be able to decide when the time comes - which is sensible. As fans we should just take everything season by season and stop worrying so much about the future. Again...this season hasn't even started for him yet can we just enjoy this season without constantly talking about whether or not he will retire.

He's likely just not wanting to make any promises because he can't know how his health will hold up. I personally have a strong feeling he will have fun for 2 seasons, reassess in 2020 and if he is still in good health and in a good position to win another Olympics, he'll go for a 3rd and 4th season. I can't really imagine him going for that 3rd season and not going for Beijing tbh.

I have had the feeling that Yuzuru was feeling a sense of rebirth since he debuted Haru yo koi. I know some people got a different, more ominous feeling from it, but I felt like it was a celebration of a fresh, happy new chapter in his competitive career. He's allowing himself to skate for pleasure and compete for his own joy and satisfaction again. This is a good thing and I'm excited to see it :)

51 minutes ago, monchan said:

Unlike Sochi's FS, Yuzu's actually satisfied w his PC FS even w the mistake. He said many times he did his best in that FS, and satisfied w the result. It's been 7 months since the Olympics but he never showed any 'kuyashii' towards that skate. It never happened before. So yeah, it depends on the situation, that "he's never satisfied w/o a clean skate" is also relative now as he grows into another stage of his career.

He may get more clean skates with a new attitude!

8 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

I'm thinking of having this banner printed and bringing it to Helsinki. It would be awesome if we could figure out a series of hand-offs so it could travel to all his competitions. Anybody up for that?

nessie-banner-4web1.jpg

Maybe each person who gets/sees it could sign it or add some words of encouragement just as a cute memento or something :10636614:

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

None :winky:

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yes Brian did say that Javi competes better because he is less tensed than Yuzu at one point. I think the new Yuzu is much stronger. 

Honestly I was :judgmental: by that comment from

Orser. I think it came some time after Boston but if you look at Javi’s track record, he doesn’t seem to have a great record of competing very well/evenly (Boston being the exception, and perhaps the 2017 Worlds SP - but we all know how that ended). I do think Yuzu was pretty intense this last quad as he threw everything into winning that 2nd OGM. I also hope he’s been released from that burden now and can skate without any sense of desperation. 

14 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yes Brian did say that Javi competes better because he is less tensed than Yuzu at one point. I think the new Yuzu is much stronger. 

I agree, with a change in mindset I think Yuzuru will be much stronger

At the very least, strong in a different way, since he's always been strong. More finding that he can succeed without that feeling of being backed into a corner and that his true best can be found when he is skating with joy and passion, not out of desperation.

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

I'm thinking of having this banner printed and bringing it to Helsinki. It would be awesome if we could figure out a series of hand-offs so it could travel to all his competitions. Anybody up for that?

nessie-banner-4web1.jpg

Isn't this the font from Lord of the Rings???

Wonder if he recognizes the reference :xD: