General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, TallyT said:

The very first time I saw the PC Seimei I was in in a cafe, and admit that I went "YES!!" embarrassingly loudly when he flung out his arms and you could see the sheer joy... I am sure I made a couple of people spill their drinks :embSwan:

I regret nothing!

They all should have been watching it too anyway...:D

4 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Maybe I've said this before, but it's important for language learners (I think we are a lot here) to realize that there are no real "macro levels" of language learning. We say beginner, intermediate and advanced, but in reality it's more personal and it has more nuances than that. Language is proportional to necessity. It's like a need to understand and be understood. So the more you push yourself in different contexts that require you to explain yourself well, and understand the topics of discussion well, the more you will end up learning vocabulary and advanced sintax and grammar rules and so on. Also if you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the language, but have a necessity to practice it, you could become fluent even with a restricted vocabulary and restricted grammar knowledge (for example, my korean bf is like this)- technically you could be called a 'beginner' or an 'intermediate' or even sound perfectly fluent, depending on what is required atm c: 

Didn't really want to revisit this topic but I think I need to clarify some of my earlier stands on this issue.  In observing Yuzu in videos over the last several seasons any comprehensive data is not available so I've had to do with inferences.  I think most would agree Yuzu probably has a functional mastery of the day to day English required at TCC.  After all he's been there now for some six years.  There are also additional pressures to acquire more English as the language is probably the means by which athletes from various nations converse with each other.  Others have mentioned that he is still pursuing some formal instruction in the language though how much and how intense remains a mystery. 

What is clear and remains basically unchanged from Sochi through PC is that in formal settings, such as press conferences, his English is very limited, probably not so much by what he knows but a lack of confidence in his abilities to handle the situations by the standards he expects of himself when dealing in Japanese, so he resorts to Japanese and translators.  That's very understandable.  If there is anything that has impaired his acquisition of English I would think it attributable to what seems to be a virtually complete lack of social life off the ice in Toronto.  Understandable.  He's pursuing a very demanding career as a world class figure skater and also a very demanding major in his university studies.  In what spare time he has he has indicated computer games play a major role.

All this is largely speculative since Yuzu pursues his privacy with an intensity almost as intense as when he pursues gold medals.  I think that is one of the things that makes for the Yuzu phenomena, the deep mystery that surrounds him.  He is an enigma and because of that he has a fandom wanting a glimpse into the person behind the enigma.  I think it should resign itself to perpetual frustration.

I watched PC Seimei with two of my friends (who just wanted to watch the Olympics) and I think they were worried with how jumpy I was lmao But I jumped up when he was done and yelled, nearly in tears. I had never been so mesmerized by something in my life he was soooo good!!! I was just as tense watching Javi and Shoma skate because I really wanted them to do well but I really wanted Yuzu to win. But him crying got me to start crying asdfjkl :embSwan:

It was just around midnight over here and I had an 8:30 am class but I needed to watch Yuzu win that gold lol I sure hope I didn't disrupt anyone else in the dorms when I yelled :13877886:

23 hours ago, ruruzest said:

I watch this at least once a day and still feel amazed every single time! Isn’t this the first time Yuzu broke character during performance? I can’t imagine what went through his mind at that time after he was finished with those jumps in his current taped ankle situation!

Just as another fans have remarked,” Thank you Right Ankle for not moving after NHK so that Yuzu couldn’t risk more injury by skating thus have more time to recover for the big stage! Also thank you Ankle by holding it together in Pyeongchang! 

Best wishes for the new season Yuzu!

I think this is the part where he laughed because he saw Brian doing his choreography with him? Hahahaha

2 hours ago, MarthEmblem said:

I watched PC Seimei with two of my friends (who just wanted to watch the Olympics) and I think they were worried with how jumpy I was lmao But I jumped up when he was done and yelled, nearly in tears. I had never been so mesmerized by something in my life he was soooo good!!! I was just as tense watching Javi and Shoma skate because I really wanted them to do well but I really wanted Yuzu to win. But him crying got me to start crying asdfjkl :embSwan:

It was just around midnight over here and I had an 8:30 am class but I needed to watch Yuzu win that gold lol I sure hope I didn't disrupt anyone else in the dorms when I yelled :13877886:

OT your usernameee :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5: this is the first time I've seen smn who likes FE outside of dedicated FE forums and communities :67638860:

Also we have 10 days before costume reveal huh :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

It was the Lunar New Year day ( A very important holiday for Asian countries) when I sent my visiting relatives to somewhere else, food to go for my husband, vitamix green smoothies to sustain my energy and I sat down to watch the historical Ballad on day one and Seimei on day two. We have an old tradition to be pleasant and joyful, not crying,on those first few day of the new year believing the same good vibe will continue throughout the year. So what did I do. I cried and screamed so much my husband had to run downstairs to check on me. Then I continued to cry for the next few days telling my friends and coworkers about the legendary of Yuzu. Tradition got thrown out of the window and I don’t care! :knc_brian2:

ACi can’t come sooner! 

:knc_brian1:

1 hour ago, Anony said:

OT your usernameee :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5: this is the first time I've seen smn who likes FE outside of dedicated FE forums and communities :67638860:

Also we have 10 days before costume reveal huh :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

Ahaha yeah it's just the usual username I used so why not just keep it here :10636614:

But 10 days can't go by fast enough ACI please come sooner! I am both dreading and anticipating those costume reveals ;;; :4:

6 hours ago, micaelis said:

Didn't really want to revisit this topic but I think I need to clarify some of my earlier stands on this issue.  In observing Yuzu in videos over the last several seasons any comprehensive data is not available so I've had to do with inferences.  I think most would agree Yuzu probably has a functional mastery of the day to day English required at TCC.  After all he's been there now for some six years.  There are also additional pressures to acquire more English as the language is probably the means by which athletes from various nations converse with each other.  Others have mentioned that he is still pursuing some formal instruction in the language though how much and how intense remains a mystery. 

What is clear and remains basically unchanged from Sochi through PC is that in formal settings, such as press conferences, his English is very limited, probably not so much by what he knows but a lack of confidence in his abilities to handle the situations by the standards he expects of himself when dealing in Japanese, so he resorts to Japanese and translators.  That's very understandable.  If there is anything that has impaired his acquisition of English I would think it attributable to what seems to be a virtually complete lack of social life off the ice in Toronto.  Understandable.  He's pursuing a very demanding career as a world class figure skater and also a very demanding major in his university studies.  In what spare time he has he has indicated computer games play a major role.

All this is largely speculative since Yuzu pursues his privacy with an intensity almost as intense as when he pursues gold medals.  I think that is one of the things that makes for the Yuzu phenomena, the deep mystery that surrounds him.  He is an enigma and because of that he has a fandom wanting a glimpse into the person behind the enigma.  I think it should resign itself to perpetual frustration.

I love your statement!

His private life encompasses the "less is more" or "keep them guessing" phenomena. We are more crazy for him because we know so, so little about his private life.

He's the Michael Jackson of Figure Skating, but we hardly know who he really texts, calls or hangs out with in his free time.

I think instagram allowed us to take a glimpse into Skaters' private like to a large extent, because unless they make a private account, we can see what photos they like and comment on, who they follow, and which skater follows them back and vice versa. 

I always kind of thought that even if Yuzu did make an official instagram run by ANA or JSF or whatever, he wouldn't follow anyone. He would be those celebrities who has a million followers but "0" following, just to avoid scandals, tabloids. Because if he follows a "female" skater, then Japanese tabloids will go crazy again..

I know he will never make instagram but even if he did make a verified account, he would be under heavy inspection by the crazy Japanese media to see if he "likes" a female skater's photo or whatever. 

This thought led me to the realization that Yuzu, being a wise person that he is, has thought of many of these consequences or outcomes of how people will react when he makes a verified social media account. His tweets or instagram posts will make headlines, and if he makes one mistake online, then boom, his image may be affected more negatively than if he never made an account in the first place.