General Yuzuru Chat

I will share a lil bit of my experience with the commentators and my take on it then.

As a new-ish fan with limited background info on FS I do rely on commentators to gain some additional insights and information from a performance. That is why, up until now, I enjoy ITA ESP and Kurt's (even with all his talk about Pooh bear :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:).  

Also, I can understand the criticism on how commentators should say unbiased things. I do not recall listening to the debated BESP commentary, but I do remember being puzzled when I watched Spanish commentaries back from GPF 2011 where the lady said Yuzuru has juniorish skate (CMIIW, I might confuse it with another competition, it was from his early years though). I also remember looking for another source to confirm about the said juniorish skate comment and find it to be untrue. 

Biased commentary is a double-edged sword:

When a fan (especially a well-informed one) get it there can be criticism. I suppose that is the main reason why BESP toned down their bias.

For a not well-informed one fan like me, it will just give an opportunity to learn more about Yuzu. And I think this can be considered as a positive outcome.  

For antis, it will just serve as weapon. We can see how they will use it as a justification and spread comments about "xx said yy about skater A" and so on.

But on indifferent people, it will just a passing information that will soon be forgotten. I don't really think some indifferent people will go on spreading criticism about some athletes. They got better things to do with their time. 

Thus, I think it will just serve as a proof that people will see (and hear) what they want to see and hear. 

(Note: you can replace biased commentary with "facts" and it will still have the same outcome. Bizzare, isn't it? :13877886:)

TL;DR this is the internet era. There are so many source of information out there and when people are interested enough they will find additional information and avoid the unreliable one (reliable one here being relative to their preference, of course :14066882:). Now, should BESP give a valid commentary? Well they damn should at least try if they don't want to be considered incompetent by FS fans.  

*looks at the discussion for the past 3-4 pages*

To our forever Do-S, but benevolent and magnanimous overlord, ruler of the swans, sparkles and glitterbombs:

Thy loyal subjects understand that m'lord is extremely busy in arranging the plans for next season, as well as taking a much needed recovery and recuperation period from the busy June and July schedule. As such, they have busied themselves with various subjects, such as the nature and expressions of external commentators (not all of which are related to m'lord), which have produced fruitful discussions. There have also been guesses regarding the music that m'lord shall use next season, as well as the court ladies who will make an appearance come the lauded "media day"-which thy loyal subjects still believe will be held this year (though there appears to be wide debate about the specific dates or even if it will be held amongst your subjects).

Thy loyal subjects have also started a very hot topic regarding hair styles and the mix of skirts and tutu's-brought about by thy devoted friend Jason Brown's recent change. While there are some guesses that it is "snip snip day" in TCC, there are definitely loyal subjects who have suggested otherwise that a change of m'lord's hairstyle to a long, possibly late 1800's ponytail bob might be fitting. As well as suggestions of matching hairstyle with a russian ballet program, with  glittery lilac tights (due to the recent allowance of tights for men) might be suitable. Elsewhere, some subjects on the platform known as twitter, have suggested a plunging deep V-neck and back (with nerve to suggest no illusion mesh too) in the fashion of the famous "swanyu" costume.

While thy humble servant here will not opine on these issues, thy humble servant would like to kindly point out that the above topics are part of this symptom called "off-season madness." A thing that is brought on by prolonged periods where thy loyal subjects are left with no information, other than a few cryptid sightings in instagram photos, on the movements of m'lord. In which case, many of thy loyal subjects will fill in their idle time with random, disconnected musings of m'lord. Some of which makes sense, some of which are angsty, and some of which are so random and out of orbit even thy humble servant is not sure what to make of it.

As such, thy humble servant would like to forward an insignificant petition to m'lord regarding this off-season madness. If m'lord in the process of lurking over the nets, in thy generosity, would be so kind as to reveal the next music and programs for the new season soon, and kindly cure thy subjects of this madness, instead of waiting for the ACI event, or even September. Such an action would be extremely well received and cure thy subjects of said madness.

Signed,

Thy Humble and Devoted Servant, Xen

*sorry guys, in short I'm bored, my muse bunnies are bored, they miss Zu too*

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

*looks at the discussion for the past 3-4 pages*

To our forever Do-M, but benevolent and magnanimous overlord, ruler of the swans, sparkles and glitterbombs:

I love your way with words. :tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow:

Hope the benevolent overlord see that and grant our wish. 

Now I need to rewatch full music clip of 30STM's From Yesterday. Reading the letter has evoked my memory on it. :loveshower:

28 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

Can anyone tell me what city the exhibits are currently and rotating next? I feel like a bad Fanyu for not having seen it and living in Japan.

http://yomiuri-photo.com/yh/

It's currently in Yokohama at the Takashimaya Department Store until the 20th of August and that will be the last stop.

ETA Takashimaya Nihonbashi in Tokyo is also holding an exhibition for the 40th anniversary of the NHK Trophy. Yuzu's NDP costume is on display and there's an 8K screen showing some of his performances including, I think, the Requiem performance from the NHK Special Exhibition. There are costumes from other skaters like Mao Asada and Plushenko as well as photos, including pictures of Brian Orser competing! This exhibition will run until the 22nd of August. 

https://www.takashimaya.co.jp/tokyo/nhk_skating/index.html

2 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

http://yomiuri-photo.com/yh/

It's currently in Yokohama at the Takashimaya Department Store until the 20th of August and that will be the last stop.

Oh, it's over already? I wonder if online goods sales will start soon, then... (hopefully not too soon ^_^; *is still broke*)

And this means Yuzu's getting his costumes back... *has evil recycling thoughts* (only not really, since even when recycling, he changed the costumes LOL)

Just now, KatjaThera said:

Oh, it's over already? I wonder if online goods sales will start soon, then... (hopefully not too soon ^_^; *is still broke*)

And this means Yuzu's getting his costumes back... *has evil recycling thoughts* (only not really, since even when recycling, he changed the costumes LOL)

Online lottery for the goods and the general sale after that will be through eplus which unfortunately requires a Japanese mobile phone number to register for an account. :13877886:

12 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Online lottery for the goods and the general sale after that will be through eplus which unfortunately requires a Japanese mobile phone number to register for an account. :13877886:

... seriously? :headdesk:Oh well... hello, yahoo auctions...

2 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

2002 Olympics comes to mind with the pairs scandal. That happened on US soil with US media backing. If the competition were in Russia the results might have stayed as they originally were. Once in a blue moon of course, but never say never! 

Media backing? I don't know about that. My recollection was the media ( not the commentators who were calling the programs) found proof of corrupt judging and exposed it, after the competition had taken place. Which is actually one of the correct and rightful roles of journalism in the public interest.  

My point is that judges  don't listen to what the commentators are saying during the programs and then use that to arrive at the final score. And the judges are in a far better position to see what's going on on the ice than any of the commentators. So to bring this back to where we started, a jump's not UR until a judge rules it's UR, and all the commentary by sports journalists in the world doesn't change that. Hence the commentary is not worth mentioning. 

Anyway guys, this is the last I'm going to say on the subject because I feel like we're derailing the thread. 

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Media backing? I don't know about that. My recollection was the media ( not the commentators who were calling the programs) found proof of corrupt judging and exposed it, after the competition had taken place. Which is actually one of the correct and rightful roles of journalism in the public interest.  

My point is that judges  don't listen to what the commentators are saying during the programs and then use that to arrive at the final score. And the judges are in a far better position to see what's going on on the ice than any of the commentators. So to bring this back to where we started, a jump's not UR until a judge rules it's UR, and all the commentary by sports journalists in the world doesn't change that. Hence the commentary is not worth mentioning. 

Anyway guys, this is the last I'm going to say on the subject because I feel like we're derailing the thread. 

But that wasn't the first or last instance of corrupt judging, but nothing got remotely close to that kind of media attention or commentator reaction.  

4 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

But that wasn't the first or last instance of corrupt judging, but nothing got remotely close to that kind of media attention or commentator reaction.  

If memory serves, that was because it was so bloody blatant and there was actual proof that it happened, not just suspicion. And also, it took place in a country where freedom of the press is pretty near sacred. There's no American journalist who'd be scared to cover a story like that for fear of repercussions or reprisals.