General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Besides, I bet it's a fun junket for the reporters. Sure the management might like to streamline their budget and not send them, but for the reporters, it'd be a perk. There used to be a lot of long bitchy faces in newsrooms when people scored junkets because something important happened in their beat and absolutely nothing was happening in yours and you were stuck doing stupid graphs hoping to get a few eyeballs. Going to TCC on Yuzu beat, the dream! (Worst was when you were looking forward to it and it was all but settled and you hear the dreaded words - We got a stringer on site. AAAARRGGH)

I bet Yuzuru is a dream assignment for some of those journalists and photographers. For figure skating that is

We got a stringer on site

What does it mean, just for reasons...

Isn't it the normal way for journalists to travel to where a story is happening, rather than having the story come to them?

Aside from that, I doubt there is any one journalist in Japan who would say "But, Yuzu-kun, Canada is SO FAR! Can't you come to Japan instead?"

Last year is actually proof enough that even if Yuzu comes to Japan, media day happens in Canada, on his and TCC's terms. Last year media day was on August 8th and 9th and on August 16th he was in Japan. IF he goes to Japan, he'll go for other obligations, but this Off Season he's probably spent more time in Japan than he has in years, so I think he's good for focusing on the season now.

And on the other topic, while I am admittedly a fan of Yuzu and Javi's friendship, so I might not be very objective, I am starting to get annoyed by all the 'Javi's replacement' stuff, both serious discussions and jokes (like those 'replacing Javi with Javi' memes or all the Boyang memes when it was first announced he would go there). Why is it so hard for people to understand that even if the whole FS field moved to TCC, there would be no 'replacing' Javi? What made Yuzu and Javi's friendship special wasn't just that they were rivals pushing each other further. That would have probably happened with anyone even close to Yuzu's level. It's how that didn't really affect anything else and how they continued to support and care for each other, despite that. And the full extent of that happened for the very simple reason of each of them being who they are. Their personalities were just very compatible like that. Something similar can happen with others and I'd be happy if Yuzu continues getting along great with whoever will be his training mates, but Javi is Javi and nobody will replace him. Never mind that he's not even gone yet. He's still going to go to TCC to get ready for Japan Open and Europeans and they'll still meet in the Summer shows and although Javi wants to coach in Spain, he hasn't denied the possibility of coaching in Canada or even Japan.

As for Yuzu needing a rival, IMO, he doesn't anymore. Even Javi wasn't that much of a rival after Boston. The only rival Yuzu needs at this point, is Yuzu himself. Back then, he did need to learn from Javi still, and I'm sure the days when he had a bad day and Javi had a good one were motivating. But now, what he needs to learn he can't really learn from others (4A), though admittedly, watching Boyang's 4Lz up close would have maybe been good for fixing his issues with it. But I'm sure by now he can do it even without that, because he has many more tools available, including his own studies. As for motivating, I'm pretty sure he can do that himself now, too. I suspect he will miss the camaraderie, but that, again, is something that cannot be replaced, just changed. Like, he won't have Javi to make him laugh and relax, but he will have Jason doing it in different ways and maybe Evgenia as well; those two - Jason and Evgenia, I mean - seem to have really hit it off and are quite the fun combo right now, if their instastories are anything to go by. Whether that kind of cheering up will work or not, it remains to be seen.

50 minutes ago, katonice said:

I always thought he yelled "Mita kaa?!!!" here. Which yes translates to "Did you see that?!!" 

That's just what I thought at least. Could be completely different 😅

Yep, that was it. He was REALLY fired up there and that's actually a big part of why I love that performance 😅

51 minutes ago, Msyloves said:

I bet Yuzuru is a dream assignment for some of those journalists and photographers. For figure skating that is

What does it mean, just for reasons...

Really O/T

Stringers are local freelancers or small agencies that can be hired for certain specific events in that place if a bigger newspaper (or any media company) doesn't have a branch or office there. It can be much cheaper than sending a reporter and photographer out to some place, if you can get a reliable person with accreditation that works for that local event, to go and cover it and send you the report that then you edit in-house and publish. Sometimes stringers are useful because they have better local contacts and sources than a strange reporter from another city, and they can work with reporters, too, but usually, when you hear a stringer has been arranged for, it means you're not traveling to the assignment, you'll be getting reports and you'll be trying to put a story together from it. 

Imagine the frustration if that happened when you were about to go to TCC for Yuzu day! 

5 hours ago, TallyT said:

Actually a small and silly part of me would love - after Yuzu retires - for the two of them to be in an ice show together and troll everyone with a version of "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better..."

Oh, that would be hilarious. From your keyboard into Yuzu's eyes/brain, I hope. It's a concept that would work great with a bunch of his other rivals too 

@micaelis I think all comes down to whether Yuzu feels the need to 'replace' Javi at all. IMO, he most likely doesn't. And while having a training partner can be useful sometimes, it's not a necessity. Also, at this point I think it's pretty clear that 'Team Cricket' really is a team. If people notice that Zu needs something, I have no doubt they'll rally 'round him. 

But I wouldn't put it past Brian to use any one of his skaters as a way to.motivate any other one of his skaters, tbh. Speaking for myself, if I were Zhenya or Gabby Daleman, I'd be all about pushing myself to keep.up with Zu as much as I could.

2 hours ago, Leanna A said:

Um…it’s not weird to me. :tumblr_inline_np9uqfzDd81qid2nw_75sq:

From the sharing and pics of fans who visited that Madame Tussauds, some also

- hugged it

- kissed it on its face and lips while holding its head

- touched the whole statue and costume  

- used tape measure to measure and record the size of different body parts  

- let it wear their own necklaces, bracelets or sunglasses and take pics with it. Their accessories become more valuable and precious as they were wore by it.

:rofl::dpooh:

A fan said that even the Japanese staff in that Madame Tussauds encouraged her and visitors to touch / hug the statue.

I keep thinking that there's not going to by anything left of the costume at that rate. It'll be in tatters before the year is out. Is it the real actual Sochi PWW, or is it a replica? Do we know?

22 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I keep thinking that there's not going to by anything left of the costume at that rate. It'll be in tatters before the year is out. Is it the real actual Sochi PWW, or is it a replica? Do we know?

I'm pretty sure the Sochi PW was at the Takashimaya exhibition, so I'm guessing the Madame Tussauds is a replica. The bracelet I think is really one of his, but I'm not sure. (On the other hand, the Phiten necklaces at Takashimaya were just the same models he wears/wore, and not actually his own, so...)

On 8/8/2018 at 6:29 PM, Danibellerika said:

LOL, yeah it's Madame Tussauds. I just realized I'm wearing the cardigan I wore that day when I visited.  Thankfully it was a light day so my friend and I had it all to ourselves lol.  Yuzu's is cool, but Mao's is really cool as they have her figure spinning on a revolving table.  

Oh wow. Mao's look lovely. Hanyu's one just gives me the creeps. Why couldn't they have done the same good work on him as they've done on her? Does Hanyu not lend himself well to be made statues out of? I mean people draw him well in photorealism or portrait style but I've never seen a life-like replica of him that makes me not cringe...

On 8/8/2018 at 10:30 PM, Yatagarasu said:

To keep it short

yuzuru-sp-2016-worlds.gif?w=754

:D

On 8/8/2018 at 10:53 PM, Sammie said:

Anyone know what he actually yelled here? 

I always look to me like 

Reveal hidden contents

“HEEY BITCHESs!!” 

:headdesk:

Others already answered but I think nuance-wise, your interpretation is probably the most right on the money

>_<

On 8/9/2018 at 12:52 AM, Erin said:

I've been laughing at this for five minutes already. :smiley-laughing021:

On 8/9/2018 at 1:35 AM, Tee said:

In the first one Yuzu is like "binch you thought" and in the second one he's like "binch I thought" :rofl:

Lolol! Never seen a caption more perfect.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:27 AM, TallyT said:

Actually a small and silly part of me would love - after Yuzu retires - for the two of them to be in an ice show together and troll everyone with a version of "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better..."

I'd pay to see that. Really, I would. Air fare and everything. If Chan ever deigns to appear in an ice show with him and shows off his skillz, I'm pretty sure Hanyu's going to want to one-up him somehow. Gonna hide the next bit in case there are minors or people who scandalize easy here. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Spoiler

Gotta love how despite all his grace and virtues, Hanyu at the end of the day is just another dude who loves [Admin edit] contests. >_<

What? He does. S'not like he can help it. It's just how he's hardwired at the core.

I almost wish Chan had stuck around another year. If he's at SC, chances are Hanyu would've asked to go there as well. It'd be so amusing to see him, a 2x OGM and World Champion now, end up with yet another Canadian silver next to Chan's gold in Canada. Maybe he'll even throw down his bouquet in frustration. And Chan'd be like, you can have the world or the whole damn universe even but you can't ever have Canada, even though you train here. And I don't even have to be there to take it from you but it feels oh-so-good when I am~~

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@micaelis I think all comes down to whether Yuzu feels the need to 'replace' Javi at all. IMO, he most likely doesn't. And while having a training partner can be useful sometimes, it's not a necessity. Also, at this point I think it's pretty clear that 'Team Cricket' really is a team. If people notice that Zu needs something, I have no doubt they'll rally 'round him. 

I doubt anyone could replace him or that Yuzu would want anyone to: even leaving aside their friendship and obvious affection (hasn't Yuzu said he couldn't have done everything he did without Javi?) it was a near miracle of two strong, competitive personalities meshing as well as they did; obviously there were stresses, especially in the lead up to the Olympics, but as many have noted it's pretty unique, unheard of for the two top athletes in the world with all the fierceness, competition and the battling for places to be able to work together as they did (and says a lot about both of them). 

Obviously we don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more one-on-one and a mix of member of TCC for him from now on.

10 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

And on the other topic, while I am admittedly a fan of Yuzu and Javi's friendship, so I might not be very objective, I am starting to get annoyed by all the 'Javi's replacement' stuff, both serious discussions and jokes (like those 'replacing Javi with Javi' memes or all the Boyang memes when it was first announced he would go there). Why is it so hard for people to understand that even if the whole FS field moved to TCC, there would be no 'replacing' Javi?

This. I find its abit disrespecful to call anyone as "Javi's replacement". Skater come to TCC or any other coaching team is for their career and development. They don't expect themself to be anyone's replacement, and I doubt Brian and his team will treat them that way. Its not like Yuzuru will cry and leave the training session when he doesn't see Javi on the ice lol. He always focus on his own training and no one can change that. This is his 7th year at TCC, he's familiar with everything, and he will get used to train with new skaters. Even if he doesn't like anyone (which I doubt) he can avoid interact with them. Its not like they're in one place 24/7.

As for the media day, I remember last year some journalists noted that Yuzuru/his team didn't charge the interview fee. So, its media need him and his content, not the other way.   

Although this year he's in much better condition compare to 2016, don't forget his rehab was over during Faoi and he only resume full training in early July.  He's about a few weeks late in term of full training compare to 2015/2017.I see some people lost patience (mostly new fans) when most skaters announce their programs already, but its better not to get panick and speculate thing . In July, Yuzuru and his team confirmed ACI which means he's ready to compete by Sept and likely decided the media day by that time already. He will announce his programs when he's feel ready. I don't mind waiting since he already gave us so many off season contents :smiley-happy085:

15 minutes ago, TallyT said:

I doubt anyone could replace him or that Yuzu would want anyone to: even leaving aside their friendship and obvious affection (hasn't Yuzu said he couldn't have done everything he did without Javi?) it was a near miracle of two strong, competitive personalities meshing as well as they did; obviously there were stresses, especially in the lead up to the Olympics, but as many have noted it's pretty unique, unheard of for the two top athletes in the world with all the fierceness, competition and the battling for places to be able to work together as they did (and says a lot about both of them). 

Obviously we don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more one-on-one and a mix of member of TCC for him from now on.

I think had Javi been Yuzu's main rival without Nathan and Shoma, the tension would have been worse. But Yuzu had other rivals to worry about so I'm guessing their tension wasn't as great as between say Zagitova and Zhenya. 

24 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Oh wow. Mao's look lovely. Hanyu's one just gives me the creeps. Why couldn't they have done the same good work on him as they've done on her? Does Hanyu not lend himself well to be made statues out of? I mean people draw him well in photorealism or portrait style but I've never seen a life-like replica of him that makes me not cringe...

Mao is lovely, but she does have an extremely smooth, even placid face.  Yuzu may seem that way when 'in repose' but actually he does have an extremely mobile face on which which all of his character sparkles on and off like lightning, and which can look wildly different depending on, well, pretty much everything going on in his head.  Going from my own visits to (admittedly not very many) wax museums, people with 'character-full' faces do, I think, tend to be harder to get right...