General Yuzuru Chat

hey guys i'm unashamedly drunk rn so i thought i'd take this time to talk about why i love this guy, yuzuru hanyu (under spoiler cuz im not into clogging up the timeline)

Spoiler

first of all i've always HATED figure skating. it was soooooo boring with the skaters and their outstretched dino arms and stiff backs and it was honestly the worst part of the olympics for me. Fast forward until i finish Yuri On Ice (YES i am one of those fans that got into ice skating because of that show, sue me) and im hUNGRY for more so i just type in "ice skating" into youtube and i come upon Yuzu's 2014 Oly SP and from there I was absolutely HOOKED. THIS boy can MOVE. He makes me feel so many emotions in just 3 minutes it's ridiculous. The next thing i know is that I'm reading up on all the rules, researching other figure skaters, learning about yuzu's career, etc.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that i never wanted to watch figure skating till Yuzu. I honestly couldnt' give a sh** about ice skating before 2017. Then 2017 Worlds came along and I was introduced to so many COMPELLING narratives (Boyang + PCS, Pchiddy's journey, Javi's cinderella's story, Shoma's MONSTROUS athleticism yet inability to come out of Yuzu's shadow, and of COURSE Yuzu's goal of becoming a two time oly champ) these stories have honestly pushed me and inspired me to see my life in a different perspective. I remember Yuzu saying once that he almost quit figure skating at the age of 9 but didn't because he thought to himself, "if i quit now what has my life meant?" and asking myself the same question has helped me figure out my own goals in life. Every time I come across some sort of obstacle (mostly school related) I just think to myself WWYHD (what would yuzuru hanyu do lmao). Whenever I hear "Two time Olympic Champion: YUZURU HANYUUUU" i almost CRY because truly he's been through so much hardship in the past eight years (let alone the past year LOL living through November, December, and January took YEARS off my life) and he truly deserves every good thing in the world. 

I remember when I first watched YOI and thinking to myself, "who would actually stay up till 6am to just watch some dum figure skaters LOL" and now it's not even a question for if I'd stay up to watch Yuzu skate (and others, im a big fan of other skaters now too because of yuzu), it's just funny how these things turn out, huh?

Anyway I'm just feeling really nostalgic and I just watched his Haru Yo Koi Niigata performance and of course it brought me to tears seeing how purely he skated, it's absolutely crazy how much one guy can inspire literally thousands of people who honestly couldn't be more different from him.

I just wanted to say how grateful I am for this dude and that I fucking love this messed up sport, to many more seasons with all of you guys, i love ya :)

5 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

Lol I haven't even clicked on it yet but I'm 99% sure triple axel is winning by a mile! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Problem for me is, my favourite has become the delayed single axel... his triple is gorgeous but I'm mesmerised by the single...:knc_yuzu2:

1 hour ago, salty said:

hey guys i'm unashamedly drunk rn so i thought i'd take this time to talk about why i love this guy, yuzuru hanyu (under spoiler cuz im not into clogging up the timeline)

Reveal hidden contents

first of all i've always HATED figure skating. it was soooooo boring with the skaters and their outstretched dino arms and stiff backs and it was honestly the worst part of the olympics for me. Fast forward until i finish Yuri On Ice (YES i am one of those fans that got into ice skating because of that show, sue me) and im hUNGRY for more so i just type in "ice skating" into youtube and i come upon Yuzu's 2014 Oly SP and from there I was absolutely HOOKED. THIS boy can MOVE. He makes me feel so many emotions in just 3 minutes it's ridiculous. The next thing i know is that I'm reading up on all the rules, researching other figure skaters, learning about yuzu's career, etc.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that i never wanted to watch figure skating till Yuzu. I honestly couldnt' give a sh** about ice skating before 2017. Then 2017 Worlds came along and I was introduced to so many COMPELLING narratives (Boyang + PCS, Pchiddy's journey, Javi's cinderella's story, Shoma's MONSTROUS athleticism yet inability to come out of Yuzu's shadow, and of COURSE Yuzu's goal of becoming a two time oly champ) these stories have honestly pushed me and inspired me to see my life in a different perspective. I remember Yuzu saying once that he almost quit figure skating at the age of 9 but didn't because he thought to himself, "if i quit now what has my life meant?" and asking myself the same question has helped me figure out my own goals in life. Every time I come across some sort of obstacle (mostly school related) I just think to myself WWYHD (what would yuzuru hanyu do lmao). Whenever I hear "Two time Olympic Champion: YUZURU HANYUUUU" i almost CRY because truly he's been through so much hardship in the past eight years (let alone the past year LOL living through November, December, and January took YEARS off my life) and he truly deserves every good thing in the world. 

I remember when I first watched YOI and thinking to myself, "who would actually stay up till 6am to just watch some dum figure skaters LOL" and now it's not even a question for if I'd stay up to watch Yuzu skate (and others, im a big fan of other skaters now too because of yuzu), it's just funny how these things turn out, huh?

Anyway I'm just feeling really nostalgic and I just watched his Haru Yo Koi Niigata performance and of course it brought me to tears seeing how purely he skated, it's absolutely crazy how much one guy can inspire literally thousands of people who honestly couldn't be more different from him.

I just wanted to say how grateful I am for this dude and that I fucking love this messed up sport, to many more seasons with all of you guys, i love ya :)

Wwyhd is my motto too xD i liked fs before but never followed it just see a few programs is all but i saw his 2014 olympic sp (yeah same) and that was it. The next thing i do was to watch every single video of his for hours the following days. 

13 minutes ago, katonice said:

Legend

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, micaelis said:

About Denis Ten, his days are over, IMO, since he didn't even make the cut at PC to advance to the FS.  As far as Yuzu's rivals right now I think it's Shoma who's likely to carry the day if they're looking for completeness (although next to Yuzu he and virtually everyone else is still skating novice-level).  Actually the skater I'm most concerned about we don't have to worry about until the 2020/21 season.  That will be Stephen Gogolev's first season on the senior level and he is now almost certainly Canada's greatest hope for Olympic gold in Beijing.  I know he has growing pains in his near future but he's been training with Brian about as long as Yuzu has and he's had plenty of opportunity to see how Yuzu does things and right now he's actually able (according to Brian) to do all the quads except the axel, putting him a step ahead of Yuzu there.

Stephen is what 13? This year is his first year as a Junior isn't it? He's part of the Junior GP? In 4 years he will be 17. You think he will get the PCS score needed to beat seasoned skaters by that point to be a OGM threat?

Men, until recent years, unlike ladies field, aren't handed out PCS candies by the judges on their first senior year. Even Nathan didn't get his crazy PCS score until second season and 6 quad programs. Now the judges have seen it, I don't think they'd be so quick to reward a skater for doing so many quads. 

Brian has mentioned Stephen still needs to work on the everything in between the jumps so I always read that as he's technically advanced right now but not developed as a skilled skater yet. 17 also means Stephen will be going through growing pains. Unless he gets it really early stays relatively slim and compact, I see his jumps suffering. 

I just don't see him being a legitimate threat for the next Olympics. The one after that, heck yeah!

Also, I don't have Twitter so can't vote. My answer would have been Shoma. He hasn't been in too  many ice shows this summer. He did some in the beginning, took a long break while he's training, and is now using the ice shows to practice his programs. I think he's hungry.

Edit: I can't believe just a few days later Denis is gone. RIP D10.

26 minutes ago, katonice said:

120 million yen is the equivalent of over 1 million USD and over 900,000 EUR... and this without an agency to handle his image. Amazing, indeed! (I admit I'm now curious who was number one...) And the only ones higher are comedians and show hosts who have been around for decades and so have had time to solidify their popularity. I think all of them have been on TV for longer than Yuzu has been alive.

1 minute ago, KatjaThera said:

120 million yen is the equivalent of over 1 million USD and over 900,000 EUR... and this without an agency to handle his image. Amazing, indeed! (I admit I'm now curious who was number one...) And the only ones higher are comedians and show hosts who have been around for decades and so have had time to solidify their popularity. I think all of them have been on TV for longer than Yuzu has been alive.

It was Shohei 

7 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

Stephen is what 13? This year is his first year as a Junior isn't it? He's part of the Junior GP? In 4 years he will be 17. You think he will get the PCS score needed to beat seasoned skaters by that point to be a OGM threat?

Men, until recent years, unlike ladies field, aren't handed out PCS candies by the judges on their first senior year. Even Nathan didn't get his crazy PCS score until second season and 6 quad programs. Now the judges have seen it, I don't think they'd be so quick to reward a skater for doing so many quads. 

Brian has mentioned Stephen still needs to work on the everything in between the jumps so I always read that as he's technically advanced right now but not developed as a skilled skater yet. 17 also means Stephen will be going through growing pains. Unless he gets it really early stays relatively slim and compact, I see his jumps suffering. 

I just don't see him being a legitimate threat for the next Olympics. The one after that, heck yeah!

Also, I don't have Twitter so can't vote. My answer would have been Shoma. He hasn't been in too  many ice shows this summer. He did some in the beginning, took a long break while he's training, and is now using the ice shows to practice his programs. I think he's hungry.

Since Stephen will possibly be the grand hope of Canada by Beijing, PCS might come his way. Also, I doubt Brian will let him go to seniors without starting to work on the skating aspect. He can debut in seniors at 15, so two years might just be enough to get a reputation.

That said, I do think his biggest problem might be the growth spurt. I also think Yuzu was really lucky because he hit his really early on, so it didn't affect him all that much, and since then, his growth has been slow and steady. I think Stephen does still look like a child, not very tall and very slim and it remains to be seen what body shape he will develop into. Not everyone is naturally slim and/or tall. So I agree that it's too early to say what Stephen will be doing in 4 years. Or even in 8 years. (I had a classmate in high school who was very short and skinny throughout three years of high school, then suddenly shot up to where he was one of the tallest in class, in the last year, so around 18 years old. As far as I know, boys don't stop growing until their mid 20s or so.) It's similar to people getting excited about Trusova doing quads at 14, IMO. It's awesome she can do them now, but it doesn't necessarily mean she'll be able to still do them in a few years.

9 minutes ago, SydneyH said:

It was Shohei 

Thank you! I guess it makes sense... (though to me Yuzu is infinitely more marketable ^_^; )

7 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

I believe the correct response is "all of the above," but I can't seem to find it here... :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

The triple Flip! 

:darklordyuzu::darklordyuzu::darklordyuzu:

I know we all love our triple flips OUT OF NOWHERE! But you gotta feel bad for the poor Quad Loop. MIA for the last season.

My answer is of course 3 Axel.

3 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Since Stephen will possibly be the grand hope of Canada by Beijing, PCS might come his way. Also, I doubt Brian will let him go to seniors without starting to work on the skating aspect. He can debut in seniors at 15, so two years might just be enough to get a reputation.

That said, I do think his biggest problem might be the growth spurt. I also think Yuzu was really lucky because he hit his really early on, so it didn't affect him all that much, and since then, his growth has been slow and steady. I think Stephen does still look like a child, not very tall and very slim and it remains to be seen what body shape he will develop into. Not everyone is naturally slim and/or tall. So I agree that it's too early to say what Stephen will be doing in 4 years. Or even in 8 years. (I had a classmate in high school who was very short and skinny throughout three years of high school, then suddenly shot up to where he was one of the tallest in class, in the last year, so around 18 years old. As far as I know, boys don't stop growing until their mid 20s or so.) It's similar to people getting excited about Trusova doing quads at 14, IMO. It's awesome she can do them now, but it doesn't necessarily mean she'll be able to still do them in a few years.

Thank you! I guess it makes sense... (though to me Yuzu is infinitely more marketable ^_^; )

You can kind of guess by the parents. Anyone know what Stephen's parents look like? Are they super tall?

Yuzu could have gone either way. I think his dad was on the bulkier side since he used to play baseball. He lucked out by looking like his mom who is le tiny.

Also Yuzu hit his growth spurt around 14/15 I believe. He grew a few more inches after Nice but it wasn't drastic. Maybe 2 more inches.

Turning senior at 15 can happen I suppose. He might just be going through a growth spurt at the same time. If I was Brian I would lay off letting Stephen turn senior until after the growth spurt. Or he'd end up hurting in ranking and confidence trying to quad and medal while growing. Just look at the poor Russian ladies that got hit with puberty right when they were getting into the swing of things.

@salty your post was :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw::10742289:

9 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

I believe the correct response is "all of the above," but I can't seem to find it here... :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

I wanted to vote for 3F, the always overlooked 3rd jumping pass melting in the choreo, but in the end I went for 3A...its power it's too strong! :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp: I love how he steps up into the jump before getting into tight air position and how he unravels so effortlessly at the end...that kind of step up makes the jump look even more impressive when you watch the slow-mo, while live it looks super-smooth, how he achieves height and distance almost like magic!

But I also wanted to vote for 4S, that was such a beauty in PC! And it behaved so well! And for 4T, maybe the most overlooked Yuzu's jump after 3F... and where is my poor 4Lo?:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:  and 4Lz?:smiley-scared003: those COR practice 4Lz were so beutiful:tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

Those polls are too difficult. The only reasonable answer to most of them would be 'none of the above' or 'all of the above' :14066882: