General Yuzuru Chat

At this point, I wouldn't overthink the issue. 

We're at different points- Yuzu has had direct competitors on the ice before, sharing coaches. He can handle himself. 

And it is Hersch. The wording sounds like Brian just randomly tossed it out for Yuzu to nod or shake head to. Realistically, what Brian might mean by "toss it out" to Yuzu could be, tell Yuzu, give him time to consider it, and then go. Brian was approached by CSA in late March, he could have "tossed it out "to Yuzu while Yuzu was still in Toronto. There could have been a week of thinking, pondering etc, before it was agreed upon (by looks of it, mid to late April). 

More importantly-this explains why the video of Boyang tripping on his 1Lz had boards at the rink. That's for Boyang, Yuzu probably gets primary TCC rink.

Orser said he will arrange schedules to avoid having daily "star wars" at the Cricket Club in the upcoming season.

"I don't expect to have them all on the ice at the same time, except when they are just doing stroking," he said. "And we have ice time at another rink, so it will be manageable."

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I think the different approach is for a different reason. From Brian's own words, even with Javi, he didn't outright ask him. He told him Yuzu wanted to come and asked what he thought. And Javi was like fine, but not giving much of a reaction, either. But Javi's past experience with Morozov probably weighed a lot in Brian's approach.

On the other hand Yuzu is confident and a two times Olympic Champion. He doesn't really need a gentle approach, but Brian still tested for a reaction, just in case.

The only potential mistake, however, is automatically interpreting a non-reaction from Yuzu as him not having problems with it. It's nice he trusts Yuzu by now to tell him if he has a problem, but I'm not sure it's a given. Even if he had a problem with it, Yuzu might think it's not his place to tell Brian who to bring or not, so wouldn't speak up either way. Only time will tell, though.

And being confident and being two time Olympic Champion don't mean he doesn't need a gentle approach.

21 minutes ago, valkyrie said:

well ultimately i don't know what goes on behind the scenes and i can only hope they've reached the point where they can be on the same page communication wise, even if it looks a bit weird from an outsider's perspective. i just don't really get why he'd explicitly ask about evgenia and not boyang, when it's boyang that yuzuru is going to be competing against...

With everything that happened, honestly only one reason comes to mind. And that is the shipping issue, which is something Yuzu is obviously sensitive to. However, I don't think Brian ever said he asked for Yuzu's permission, just that he talked to him about it>

Answers to questions depend a lot on the question asked and other posters have a good point about taking the author into consideration. It's an article with selective quotes, not a Q&A (and even those aren't always accurate).

12 minutes ago, wpisces said:

And being confident and being two time Olympic Champion don't mean he doesn't need a gentle approach.

I honestly don't think Yuzu needs a gentle approach. To me, he's definitely someone who would thrive even next to a rival he's not happy to have near. He'd feed on the competition and grow stronger. It might not be good for him from health points of view and it'd definitely be bad for Brian's hairline, but I have little doubt Yuzu would do very well even with an unwanted rival. That said, he doesn't dislike Boyang so there's no reason to assume he'd object.

I also think Brian should know him better than we do by now, so I choose to trust Brian knows what he's doing. We'll see if that's true or not, but getting upset about it now is definitely not good for anyone.

*imagines Yuzu reading the forum and headdesking; last week we were angsting over ISU and he had to go all out at FaOI to lift our spirits; now we're angsting over Brian and Boyang and Jason and he has to find ways to lift our spirits again over the weekend :P A space kitten overlord's job is never finished :kitty: *

22 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

With everything that happened, honestly only one reason comes to mind. And that is the shipping issue, which is something Yuzu is obviously sensitive to. However, I don't think Brian ever said he asked for Yuzu's permission, just that he talked to him about it>

Yes, you were right. Brian never said that he asked Yuzu for his permission on Evegenia. 

I have remembered it too. Here are exact quotes from the article:

"Orser said he had let Hanyu know that Medvedeva might be coming to Toronto. The coach thought it was possible Medvedeva asked Hanyu and Fernández about their experiences with him before making her decision. Hanyu has told Orser he intends to keep competing."

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/07/275657578

33 minutes ago, valkyrie said:

i just don't really get why he'd explicitly ask about evgenia and not boyang, when it's boyang that yuzuru is going to be competing against...

Zhenya might have been the bigger concern in Brian's mind to warn Yuzuru about. After all, things like what that gossip magazine ended up writing were bound to happen. 

31 minutes ago, Lucifermeo said:

Well, the article mentioned Brian did go to Yuzu's place so I assume he didn't just say one sentence and leave LOL. Yeah the quote sounds dubious, but this is Hersh's writing so we'll never know how it went down. The best we can hope for is nothing will implode next season I suppose.

:PurpleBanana:

LOL good take. So Hersh wrote this? Yeah I guess we won't ever know what happened, then. But if Brian mentioned that he tested Yuzu for a reaction, that means he didn't spring it on Yuzu and say "Like it or not, it's happening." He did ask, maybe not outright. I think Brian has earned our trust enough now that we can be confident he didn't do something stupid....

OTOH, I think it would be hard for Yuzu to say no regardless. If Brian doesn't take Boyang, Boyang will go somewhere else for the next 4 years, and it's a lost opportunity for him to invest in a skater with clearly insane amount of potential. And Yuzu doesn't even know if he'll continue or retire after 1 season or 4 more seasons, so he would probably feel that it's not his place to say no.

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

Zhenya might have been the bigger concern in Brian's mind to warn Yuzuru about. After all, things like what that gossip magazine ended up writing were bound to happen. 

that’s true! on that note, pretty interesting how there’s been no peep about any romantic conspiracy regarding boyang’s move to tcc. love that sexism :3:

11 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

I wouldn't assume that honestly.  Javi had seniority on Yuzu but ended up at the other rink sometimes, if I was understanding Brian's quote directly about how "Sometimes we took Javi and Gabby to another rink." 

I think Yuzu would always get the main rink, but not because of seniority or results, but because of security. Yuzu is the only skater for whom security is a real issue and I doubt there's any other rink as secure as TCC's. (I think it's likely Evgenia will also mostly use the main rink, to shield her from media and rumors as well.)

58 minutes ago, valkyrie said:

this is kind of a crazy attitude to me considering all the communication issues they've had in the past lol but hopefully it's all fine

I think it’s fine - I am sure he didn’t literally just throw it out. I am sure that Yuzu was consulted. Brian has always spoken like this in very casual laissez faire terms. What he probably meant was that he spoke to Yuzu about it and Yuzu didnn’t really care either way. At this point in his career he know he is the alpha dog and I wouldn’t think that he would begrudge Brian setting up TCC for the future. That’s what the Jin move is to me - to have a marquee men’s FS that is a genuine contender for OGM in 2022 in the scenario that Yuzu decides that he is done competing. This move tells me that perhaps Brian thinks it is unlikely that Yuzu  is going for 2022 but if he does then TCC wins as they’ll now have two contenders 

4 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

I would not worry too much about this. If a 17 year old Yuzu was ready to train side-by-side with a strong competitor (Javi), then there's no reason why a 23 year old Yuzu should be worried about training with another strong competitor (Boyang) now. 

It's not the matter. The matter is that he might feel disrespected if Brian didn't tell him about Boyang beforehand. Anyway I will trust only Yuzuru words if he is ever asked about this in the future. At this point, we don't know what happened.

Just now, wpisces said:

It's not the matter. The matter is that he might feel disrespected if Brian didn't tell him about Boyang beforehand. Anyway I will trust only Yuzuru words if he is ever asked about this in the future. At this point, we don't know what happened.

Even Hersh goes out of his way to say that Brian didn't ask for permission but told him about it. I bet there's a whole lot of nuance missing from that quote.