General Yuzuru Chat

You can point your toes in ice dance/synchro boots, cause the ankle part is usually lower than in singels boots in order to give you better knee bend and mobility. In the old times when skates were made of just leather and weren't as stiff  you could see single skaters also point their toes(if they cared). The newer stiffer single skates make it almost impossible to really point your toes because boot is there to protect your ankle from moving too much.

In my oppinion that doesn't mean you shouldn't teach skaters to not point their toes because if you don't do the work it often leaves the free leg rotated inwards, closes your hip and it just looks ugly.  My info from boots comes from 10 years ago so maybe they have produced boots that offer both mobility and stability but I doubt that.

Now does Yuzu sometimes forget/gets too tired to keep his hip open and leg rotated, yes, but these days it's a mistake on his part rather than deafault setting. When he is focused and in the moment his work is beatiful, for example I love watching his cool downs these days, because you can see how he is really controlling his body and the effort it takes, even tough it looks effortless.

57 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Pointing toes really is an old chestnut from people who think all figure skating performances should be balletic! I don't usually interact with those people so I honestly had no clue lol

I guess it's one of those things where I'd just have to disagree. If the skate is to a ballet piece, then yes, pointing toes as much as possible would be important. If it's not, then it's a matter of what you think looks better and suits the music and choreography. 

And wholesale borrowing from ballet can look terrible on the ice - look at Alinas tutus for gods sake, flapping about because a skater moves a lot faster than a ballet dancer, even if you use ballet music the dynamic of the movement across the ice is quite different from that across a stage/studio floor.  Somewhere on one of these threads there are the opinions of several dancers on the subject and iirc they were of the opinion that some of it transfers and some does not.  Arm movements, limb extensions etc.  But it stands to reason that if your boots are stiff enough to protect your ankles when landing a quad they aren't going to be flexible enough for ballet toes and they don't need to be.

11 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

And wholesale borrowing from ballet can look terrible on the ice - look at Alinas tutus for gods sake, flapping about because a skater moves a lot faster than a ballet dancer, even if you use ballet music the dynamic of the movement across the ice is quite different from that across a stage/studio floor.  Somewhere on one of these threads there are the opinions of several dancers on the subject and iirc they were of the opinion that some of it transfers and some does not.  Arm movements, limb extensions etc.  But it stands to reason that if your boots are stiff enough to protect your ankles when landing a quad they aren't going to be flexible enough for ballet toes and they don't need to be.

After very happily grabbing the excuse to watch some skating instead of working, I think I can see the difference between a layback spin with pointed toe and without. The free leg does make the entire position look odd without it, but I think it's got more to do with turnout than the toe, honestly. I think it would be way more difficult to pay attention to pointing toes during a step sequence than while dancing. Yuzu's step sequences are so incredibly fast, too. Maybe camel spin? I think Alina needed the tutu because her posture is not the best, she needed something very obvious to convey that impression. But tutus look silly on ice. To me, at least. 

1 hour ago, robin said:

pointing toes in FS is a legend some people use to criticize skaters they can’t criticize lol

Hmmm can't criticise Yuzuru on his edges, skating skills, no pre-rotation or under-rotation issues either... He has difficult entries and exits, great transitions.... come on there must be something... I KNOW HE DOESNT POINT HIS TOES!! :facepalm:

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

Warch ANA's follower count skyrocket lmao 

3 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Zu at Emperor's party, 4 years ago! Hope he will not forget his medal home this time! :laughing:

Yes, please!!! :snonegai:

The timing must be good because I have my last college entrance exam on 25th.... Bless me :13877886:

1 hour ago, CupidsBow said:

I feel like people here could do better in the photoshop competition

I was SO SURE this is gonna happen when he did this :darklordyuzu:

GUYS. I've just realised. Where is Sparkle?? What has become of her??? Did she not survive the tongue and lips??? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: Oh Sparkle give us a sign, a banana, an octopus, a Pooh, anything.

4 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

The timing must be good because I have my last college entrance exam on 25th.... Bless me :13877886:

I was SO SURE this is gonna happen when he did this :darklordyuzu:

GUYS. I've just realised. Where is Sparkle?? What has become of her??? Did she not survive the tongue and lips??? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: Oh Sparkle give us a sign, a banana, an octopus, a Pooh, anything.

She was alive in Team China. :biggrin: 

13 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

After very happily grabbing the excuse to watch some skating instead of working, I think I can see the difference between a layback spin with pointed toe and without. The free leg does make the entire position look odd without it, but I think it's got more to do with turnout than the toe, honestly. I think it would be way more difficult to pay attention to pointing toes during a step sequence than while dancing. Yuzu's step sequences are so incredibly fast, too. Maybe camel spin? I think Alina needed the tutu because her posture is not the best, she needed something very obvious to convey that impression. But tutus look silly on ice. To me, at least. 

Yeah, turnout and pointed toes are different things but I guess they often correlate. For me the turnout is MUCH more important for it to look good (one of my pet peeves with Alina’s FS is how she often lost the turnout in her attitude (the ballet movement :P) which makes it ugly af), and not that I mind pointed toes, but I’ve never been bothered by Yuzu’s supposed lack.