General Yuzuru Chat

23 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

Funny thing but I haven't heard slavic commies mispronouncing Yuzu's name(except for russian announcer...), even though Polish commentators also go Yin every time they mention Boyang... we're just more adept at Japanese it seems xP

I don't know about all slavic languages, but I'm guessing it's because Czech at least is phonetically a lot closer to Japanese than, say, English :laughing: And the same commentator had been mispronouncing Nathan pretty badly until recently, so I figured it's more of a matter of coincidence :shrug:

16 minutes ago, kaerb said:

welcome to Australia from someone who just left it temporarily, hope you enjoy it there! :laughing: frankly, I'm shocked SBS even covers figure skating but chances are that they won't be covering the whole thing. We're not exactly a nation passionate about winter sports, sadly (they had a delayed broadcast of Worlds last year though, I was shocked). 

I'm rolling my eyes at the incorrect name coverage. Having been a media and journalism student, I can't believe people get paid for this when we were RAKED OVER THE COALS about copyediting. I'm also highkey sideeyeing at how it's usually Asian names, no matter how short (how do you screw up Uno for instance especially since he won the SP but get looong European surnames right?? HM) or misidentifying Asian skaters :dry:

To be fair, I heard them only mispronounce European names the other day. :P And announcers at Asian events don’t always have an easy time, either (Yuzuru Hanyu and Shoma Uno from China!) Japan always gets a pass because of their ingenious, purposeful mispronunciation system. :biggrin:

It really is astonishing, though, that commentators don’t at least make it their business to make sure they know how to pronounce the names of the top guys correctly. I mean, it’s literally their business!

1 hour ago, b138oo said:

:offtopic:I just moved to Australia and watching their Oly coverage by far, I’m not sure whether they are gonna show the whole Men’s FS event. They keep jumping around between arenas without notice, it’s confusing lmao

:t1233: but really when you are the reigning OGM, the 2 times and current World Champ, the World’s No. 1, the 4 times GPF winner, and the WR holder and those journalists and commentators still couldn’t pronounce your name properly, they got some serious shit going on~ just saying 

Just in time for this very un-winter olympics heatwave! The live TV coverage is quite disappointing - the emphasis is really on the skiing (where our chances of doing well are greater) and the skating gets sidelined as filler material :( But thanks for the tip about the app @SparkleSalad - that might be the better way to go! (except I don't have a lot of data on my plan... :facepalm:

Just now, paperatoms said:

Just in time for this very un-winter olympics heatwave! The live TV coverage is quite disappointing - the emphasis is really on the skiing (where our chances of doing well are greater) and the skating gets sidelined as filler material :( But thanks for the tip about the app @SparkleSalad - that might be the better way to go! (except I don't have a lot of data on my plan... :facepalm:

If you’re with Optus it’s free! (I’m not with Optus v_v)

1 hour ago, MajaHled said:

I don't know about all slavic languages, but I'm guessing it's because Czech at least is phonetically a lot closer to Japanese than, say, English :laughing: And the same commentator had been mispronouncing Nathan pretty badly until recently, so I figured it's more of a matter of coincidence :shrug:

We have more developed phonetics than Japanese actually, and most if not all of the sounds existing in Japanese are common for us, contrary to English which say, didn't develop nasal vowels, so the closest sound to ん in for example 本(ほん)is 'n' (my Japanese teacher kept getting annoyed at us, because c'mon you have such a ridiculous language that you could at least use it, instead of going after Hepburn...it was amusing :D). If there is a mistake in pronounciation we are prone to, it's softening hard sounds (famous Yin xD)  or changing them to the č, š, etc sounds (I'm using Czech version here, since Polish can't decide itself and uses multiple ways of writing them) that are muuuch harder to pronounce for foreigners than I ever thought...

In other words, languages are terryfying thing, and everybody should prepare themselves properly when announcing foreign names.

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

(I’m always taken aback when I read “commies.” I can’t get used to it meaning anything other than “communists.”)

Sorry, I'll try to stop using that. I keep forgetting the older meaning,

1 hour ago, ICeleste said:

Did I sleep-write that? Or is this person my soul-twin or something? Also, somebody take these onions out!

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Okay, why-they-make-us-cry- a Hypothesis: Because Brian was irked himself by the situation, he was fullly aware of the :salty: we were gathering in our bodies as the fans constantly bombarded with USA PR and TCC erasure. Hwever, we didn't have a blanket of security of seeing guys nuking it out in practice, and so, he in cooperation with Overlord and their Team, friends, supporters, etc. make sure that we get a way to release all the salt with help of our tear glands.

End of Hypothesis.

Facts: It's working on me.