General Yuzuru Chat

It's a great new banner - sorry I didn't notice it when I logged in briefly earlier but it's been a looong day.   It's great, not as pretty as the birthday one, but still lovely - thank you it's cheered me up a little.

10 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

I know many of you might be wondering why Yuzu was not made captain as he was the only Japanese athlete to win gold at Sochi and is the Japanese athlete with the highest profile at the games.  I don't know what the politics involved is but I can see a rationale here.  Being captain of the Japanese team mandates participation in the opening ceremony, a ceremony which usually involves an extended period of standing for the athletes.  The Japanese Olympic committee may have been thinking that that might not be advisable for him, wanting to avoid any periods of physical stress for Yuzu, considering his long hiatus.    Another reason is that they may have asked him but he declined, declining to be in the ceremony entirely, wishing to avoid any unnecessary physical stress before competing.  It's difficult to say why, but this might be an early indication that Yuzu is prepared to baby himself all the way up to getting on the ice to score points.

It's not puzzling at all, though. Or at least, it shouldn't be. This is neither showbiz nor a popularity contest. And even if Hanyu is the defending champion who did Japan mighty proud with that gold back in 2014,  so did other athletes. Uchimura's already a highly decorated athlete before Rio but he wasn't the team captain and by extension flag bearer. The honor went to Keisuke Ushiro, who's had a great career, albeit one that didn't involve an OGM, or any Olympic medal at all.

Kodaira is an exceptional athlete with an impressive overall track record. The PC Games would be her third go at the Olys. I don't know what went on behind the scenes but I wouldn't be surprised if she's always been the first pick for the position. I think she is, actually. As JOC's athlete of the year for 2017, her selection isn't just unsurprising, it's appropriate. 

If Hanyu sticks around for 2022, maybe he'd get to be first pick then, lol.

p/s: About the opening ceremony, from what  I'm able to gather based on what he's displayed of his character so far, the only reason he won't be in the opening ceremony is if it's an involuntary one. He's an athlete, not a prima donna, and while I'm not saying there are zero athletes prone to diva-ishness out there, there are very few of them, and Hanyu is most certainly not one of them.

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

About the opening ceremony, from what  I'm able to gather based on what he's displayed of his character so far, the only reason he won't be in the opening ceremony is if it's an involuntary one. He's an athlete, not a ballerina, and while I'm not saying there are zero athletes prone to diva-ishness out there, there are very few of them, and Hanyu is most certainly not one of them.

I appreciate your talk about seniority and such and accept your correction about seniority, but my comment about whether he might decide not to participate in the opening ceremony was not about a 'prima donna' element but about his concerns about undue physical stress.  I do not know exactly how the ceremony at PC is slated to go, but it is not unusual for the athletes to find themselves standing in the field for a lengthy period of time.  I have found that basically standing still is much more stressful physically than movement over the same period of time.  Yuzuru, if he is participating in the team competition, will have skated earlier on the day of the opening ceremony and he might wish to have the rest of the day to prepare himself for later competition.  I realize that the next competition, which would be the FS part of the team competition is three days later, but the heart of his competing takes place very soon after that.  He's coming back from a long period of convalescence and may wish to avoid any undue physical stress.  In any case not participating in the opening ceremony is not necessarily a matter of pride but might be contingent on whether that participation might adversely affect the competitive performance.  I'm thinking of the case with Michael Phelps, who participated in five Olympics beginning with Sidney in 2000 and ending with Rio in 2016.  The Rio opening was the first in which he participated.  Why he chose not to participate in the four earlier ones I do not know.  It certainly was not contingent on his successes, as with his first Olympics he was only 15 years old and had no reputation outside of the American swimming world.  A question I have someone might be able to answer - Did Yuzu participate in the Sochi opening?  I've looked at videos of the opening ceremony, looking closely as the Japanese team entered.  I failed to see him there, although everyone was moving and trying to distinguish a face in a moving crowd is not exactly an easy task.

12 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

I appreciate your talk about seniority and such and accept your correction about seniority, but my comment about whether he might decide not to participate in the opening ceremony was not about a 'prima donna' element but about his concerns about undue physical stress.  I do not know exactly how the ceremony at PC is slated to go, but it is not unusual for the athletes to find themselves standing in the field for a lengthy period of time.  I have found that basically standing still is much more stressful physically than movement over the same period of time.  Yuzuru, if he is participating in the team competition, will have skated earlier on the day of the opening ceremony and he might wish to have the rest of the day to prepare himself for later competition.  I realize that the next competition, which would be the FS part of the team competition is three days later, but the heart of his competing takes place very soon after that.  He's coming back from a long period of convalescence and may wish to avoid any undue physical stress.  In any case not participating in the opening ceremony is not necessarily a matter of pride but might be contingent on whether that participation might adversely affect the competitive performance.  I'm thinking of the case with Michael Phelps, who participated in five Olympics beginning with Sidney in 2000 and ending with Rio in 2016.  The Rio opening was the first in which he participated.  Why he chose not to participate in the four earlier ones I do not know.  It certainly was not contingent on his successes, as with his first Olympics he was only 15 years old and had no reputation outside of the American swimming world.  A question I have someone might be able to answer - Did Yuzu participate in the Sochi opening?  I've looked at videos of the opening ceremony, looking closely as the Japanese team entered.  I failed to see him there, although everyone was moving and trying to distinguish a face in a moving crowd is not exactly an easy task.

Yeah, he was there, one-handedly waving those tiny Japanese and Russian flags like everyone else. I dunno why Phelps didn't show up in previous Games, but if I had to make a guess off the top of my head, maybe it's cos his events didn't happen right off the bat and instead of wasting precious training time at the venue, he flew in later. Rio was his last Games before retirement so it made sense for him to show up even of the timing is inconvenient (if it was indeed inconvenient).

Anyway, your logic is sound but it just strikes me as out-of-character for Hanyu to choose to bow out of it voluntarily if he's in the pink of health, especially seeing as these Games represent the penultimate point of his career, and could very well be his last. There are other memories to make instead of only the competition ones and memories strike me as things that are also important to him. But who knows, you could turn out to be right. I certainly won't think him any less for it.

7 minutes ago, Maleko said:

OMG this banner is beautiful!! Feliz Navidad - Merry Christmas to everyone!

Feliz navidad y próspero año nuevo:10814716:

ETA: Yuzu is saying merry christmas too (please ignore the rest when he talks about what he was going to do at nationals, it's old and just look at the merry christmas, spare yourself the heartbreak)

(omg my cousin asked me "if that was the only video you had of him, how many times would you watch it?" :rofl:she answered it herself and said "nevermind, you would watch it every day..." she's 8 ffs hahahahahaha

she also asked me if i have a crush on him and if i want to marry him lol, sweet summer child)