General Yuzuru Chat

Question for Yuzu history buffs - Has Hanyu ever bombed both programs in a competition (minus GPS during 2014-2015) ever in his senior skating career?

He probably might not have gone clean for one despite bombing the other, but there's still hope for a good Seimei comeback tomorrow, right?

11 minutes ago, liv said:

Ok, Seimei up next... SO looking forward to it. Not sure if I should expect error prone or clean yuzu... hope to see clean 4lz, and after that whatever will be, will be. 

Well, going by the Seimei RT he had yesterday, he'd already do better than at ACI! At least he rotated everything but the 4Lz there! 

I'm hopeful for something slightly better than that first RT though. All rotated quads would be wonderful, actually. Not asking for much, right?

1 時間前, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

Question for Yuzu history buffs - Has Hanyu ever bombed both programs in a competition (minus GPS during 2014-2015) ever in his senior skating career?

He probably might not have gone clean for one despite bombing the other, but there's still hope for a good Seimei comeback tomorrow, right?

Not exactly a buff but he's bombed both progs in varying degrees of devastation in a lot of comps.

There was his very first CoR, his first CoC, and all his Canadian comps in past seasons. Didn't do too hot in both segments in his very first NHK either, although it was in his FS there that he tried a quad in comp for the very first time--and landed it. He basically bombed all his performances in all his GP assignments in his debut senior year.

Also, this year's ACI actually marks the first Canadian comp that he completely aced one of them. LoL. He's participated in two CoRs before this one, the first of which he hadn't exactly left the strongest impression, and the second of which he took home the gold. 

His most recent case of double-bombing would be...last year's SC, I suppose. I mean he didn't do too hot in both parts in last year's WTT either but his FS there had a lot going for it despite that failed 4S so I wouldn't count it as a bombing as there were redeeming qualities to it.

I mean, it still doesn't say much for tomorrow in terms of prospects but it's not impossible that he may deliver a redeeming--even if not perfect-- skate, despite the odds. So I think it's at least safe to hope. (:

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

Like some I'm also uncomfortable with Yuzu's short program choice for this season.  Considering the nature of Seimei I think he needs a much different short program, one more like LGC.  Actually, I like Parisian better than LGC but he can't do that at the Olympics.  It would be too much a repeat, despite the fact he set four world records with it.  Actually, if Yuzu was set on Chopin(1), I think he should have chosen a different long program, to be precise, I wish he'd gone with POTO.  It's very much dismissed by so many here but I think it actually the best of the long programs he's done in terms of the music and choreography working wholly together.  The fact that it's identified with that disastrous early season he had in 2014 I think has soured so many on it.  But it is unfamiliar enough to so many to actually seem like a new program and, on the basis of what Yuzu did in the GPF with that program, it is a program that Yuzu when he's on, can turn into a total knockout.

(1)According to his interviews, it's the reverse - he knew he'd reuse SEIMEI for PC since GPF2015. Chopin is only after Worlds, AND after talk with Jeff, before FaOI.

(2)I'm personally glad he didn't go for POTO- warhorse of the season is Turandot for TJ anyway- only for his personal warhorses; in an Olympic season, choosing something less known is a risky move not many decide to make (that's what sets Nathan apart from Shoma, sorry baby), and while Chopin is classic, I've never actually seen anybody besides Yuzu do a Ballade as a competition program, aside from Mao Asada(and that was fluff competition).

As somebody said, if judges had problems with three-peating the same program music (because let's face it, program itself IS different from technical point of view, and that's what has/should have judges interest), we wouldn't have ANY warhorses, since people would stray from using the music they saw used before, as judges "would be more harsh" for choosing it again. Like, in a 14/15 season Team Japan would have to change at least three programs to avoid repeating just POTO music! (though yeah, I love Yuzu's POTO the most from this season xD)

Yuzuru's not so great short program performance was my fault. I watched it on live stream and jinxed him. Whenever I watch him live, he seems to do poorly. So I am not going to watch his free skate live.

It was a triple whammy for me. First, I didn't get any sleep because I stayed up to watch the live stream. Second, I had the displeasure of watching Yuzuru underperforming his program. And third, I'm in my wife's bad books for not getting any sleep and staring at my laptop in bed.

Mea culpa, mea culpa... :bow:

5 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Yuzuru's not so great short program performance was my fault. I watched it on live stream and jinxed him. Whenever I watch him live, he seems to do poorly. So I am not going to watch his free skate live.

It was a triple whammy for me. First, I didn't get any sleep because I stayed up to watch the live stream. Second, I had the displeasure of watching Yuzuru underperforming his program. And third, I'm in my wife's bad books for not getting any sleep and staring at my laptop in bed.

I know what you mean - I feel the same - irrational but what can you do?  Stay away and watch a recorded version?  The boy says he draws strength from the support of his fans -,so maybe we should just watch and support him whatever happens?

?? Hasn't the ship for his prog choices sailed aeons ago? I thought it's already been established that when he delivers them perfectly, he'd be wiping the ice with everyone? I mean it could be any program, old or new. With his planned layout and current skill level, he's untouchable so long as he skates clean. If he skates clean. Isn't that the only real issue here?

And with that in mind, he feels the programs that give him the best chance of skating clean are these two. Not any other ones. If there were any other ones through which he felt he could deliver clean skates with improved everything in the Oly season, he would have gone for those and not these two. But I get the feeling that whatever choices he could've gone for, people will still likely debate over it. And when he finally succeeds, voila! Minds changed. Best prog choices evah!!

So, while it's certainly true that people are free to talk about what they want,  I fail to see the point in debating his choice of programs for this season at this stage other than repeatedly beating a dead horse over and over? Unless that's a thing that people like to do here in which case, I shall bow out and leave you all to it.

4 分ぐらい, Geo1さんが言いました:

*snickers* I highly doubt tonight would have turned out any different even If you hadn't watched it. If you keep at it, eventually you'll see one where he nails it. Not saying you should if the hours are odd, as you *do* need your rest.

Besides, weren't you there when he skated his SP flawlessly at ACI last month?