sallycinnamon

[2019] Russian Nationals (24-29.12) - Ladies SP & FS

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Glad that Zhenya survived the sp, but still hoping (against reason, given how little time she has) that she can find a better solution for the fs:tumblr_inline_n2pjcykAXc1qdlkyg: so unlucky

(unsurprising inflated)scoring aside, pretty much the top 3 I expected, curious to see who will pull off what in the fs but idk if Liza can really overthrow one of Eteri's trio and it will take more than one mistake from them IMO. As for Zhenya, just wishing her she can survive fs too.

(Tbh, while Alyona winning would be nice since she is a very well-rounded skater and represents a nice balance between upping tes and components, I am not really feeling her programs these past couple of seasons so that's the max enthusiasm I can muster re: who will be Russian Ladies champion)

Good luck for the fs to all ladies:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Eta: what's happened to Kseniia tho? :sad-smiley-046:

9 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Eta: what's happened to Kseniia tho? :sad-smiley-046:

She had a very unfortunate mistake on lutz take off - all went wrong, the axis was terrible, she fell (jump was <<) and missed a combo as a consequence. But she was able to perform the rest like nothing happened. For me, her program (not skate) was the best in the whole event so far. Unique, delicate and sophisticated.

4 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

She had a very unfortunate mistake on lutz take off - all went wrong, the axis was terrible, she fell (jump was <<) and missed a combo as a consequence. But she was able to perform the rest like nothing happened. For me, her program (not skate) was the best in the whole event so far. Unique, delicate and sophisticated.

Thank you

Sad this happened:sad4: I hope she can rebound in the fs and especially in Jrnats (so she can go to JWC). She was one of my fave russian ladies in Turin (together with Dasha who was the biggest surprise in terms of how much I enjoyed her despite the programs) and both her programs were the most interesting to me, very different from the mainstream style

I hope they can find a solution for Zhenya's boot problem for the free skate. I would hate to see her become injured from trying to skate in a bad pair.  And kudos to her for today. 

By the way, if you look at PCS only, Zhenya's second to Kostornaya. I haven't watched any of the skates yet so I can't comment further but it looks like maybe even RusFed has realized they can't keep pushing tech-only skaters as having artistic merit. It would be a step in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I'm surprised Zhenya and other skaters go to major competition without even a backup pair of skates, even if the backup wasn't broken into yet. It must be better than an amateur pair or something?! And there wasn't a single skate shop in Krasnoyarsk? I guess there wasn't time?

Exactly, I would expect professional athletes to be better prepared for such circumstances. To me it only makes sense to have at least two pairs of boots that you actively used and are broken in so you could use either should need be. Sorry if this is harsh but in other sports like tennis/badminton, players bring multiple racquets and shoes to each match. 

I really enjoyed watching the SP today, a lot of clean performances and few disappointing ones. Sinitsyna had a scary fall and a couple of others stumbled a bit, but in general, it was a high-quality event. Watched with a couple of friends who don't normally watch figure skating, and they were also absorbed in it throughout. Hopefully the FS will be similar! 

I like Alyona and if she wins, it will be well deserved, but I also think her scores definitely reflect that she's the current fed favourite - I'm not sure if the 10-point lead above everyone else is really justified, based on what we saw on the ice. Happy that Trusova and Scherbakova also did well. Trusova seemed to be focusing less on jumps and more on the quality of her skating today, and that was nice to see. Medvedeva was fighting through it, and did a great job all things considered. I'm glad Tuktik's jumps were there, but this program is so boring. 

One unexpected highlight for me was Nugumanova - I really liked all the little choreographic details in her program.

30 minutes ago, Fay said:

No edge calls for this? 

3UF12RU.png

All I see is a still photo where she's toepicking, and I can't see the edge clearly

Ok just watched Zhenya's skate and it was lovely, even though you can see that she's tense and worried about her boot. She did an excellent job under the circumstances. 

But I clicked into the archived stream  just at the beginning of Anna Frolova's skate and simply had to watch the whole thing through. She was just delightful. Hope we see more of her. 

They are now saying Zhenya might withdraw from the free, which would be wise. She had a very poor practice in the morning. It’s plain dangerous. 

12 hours ago, Fay said:

No edge calls for this? 

3UF12RU.png

I noticed too (not in this frame but just from the slomo replays at the end of the performance) and I my opinion her lutz and Trusova's in this segment of comp should have at least a ! while Scherbakova seemed a little (very little...) more outside. What do you think ?

31 minutes ago, Fay said:

They are now saying Zhenya might withdraw from the free, which would be wise. She had a very poor practice in the morning. It’s plain dangerous. 

I wouldn't blame her but that is so sad...

36 minutes ago, Fay said:

:/  I really hope she would WD if that's the case. I understand not WD'ing before the SP because she wanted to get on the ice and show her strength, but there's not much to gain by braving the FP too and a lot to lose. She's already proven yesterday she's still a fighter.