Spinning Out - New Series on Netflix

Maleko

15 hours ago, Maleko said:

A new film of skating in Netflix "Spinning Out" coming in january 1.

That is so cool! I hope it’ll be great!

Spoiler

But you know what happens with Netflix originals.:dry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • sallycinnamon changed the title to Spinning Out - New Series on Netflix

I saw the first episode, well I enjoyed, is like telenovela but with budget and better acting. 

The ironic I found is the protagonist, is like a goodess in the artistic deparment and receive praise but we know now that the ISU care the least about that.

Right?! She doesn't even have her triples back (yet) but they talk about pcs score like it will pull their weight... when really it's the other way around ;)

Spoiler

I liked in the episode where they go to Regionals, that even though they thought they'd be in 4th they end up way lower because the tech difficulty just isn't there yet. It's frustrating but that's skating...

On the other hand it's funny how the sbs jumps are presented as this big money element in pairs lol! They never once mention the throws or the twists that actually matter. I also think it was a big missed opportunity just from a story sidepoint to not focus on throw jumps instead - to have Kat overcome her fear of falling AND learn to trust her partner on the same element. I'm sure they had their reasons though - maybe they just couldn't find doubles that can do a throw jump? (& it's really bugging me that they keep calling it the "long" program lol!)

Which episode are you guys at? Some spoilery reactions up to Episode 6 below the cut!

Spoiler

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw clips of Kaetlyn Osmond in the opening credits! Also it's a bit surreal seeing Dylan Moscovitch as Jenn's coach... 

Also I screamed when I saw TCC Geoff in episode 6 as a harness coach... I thought the actual narrative was a bit so-so but it's fun how they weaved in bits and pieces of the real world into the show, kinda like Easter eggs for skating fans :)

I really appreciate the mental health story underpinning it all. Not sure they did the greatest characterization of bipolar -nor was it the worst- (I say this as someone with a brother with bipolar) but I guess it was nice to finally have a show or movie or something about sport and mental health that wasn't all about overcoming an eating disorder. 

It's so funny that in American dramas/movies, baddies/jerks have British accent and in British films, Americans portrayed as idiots with lousy mouth. 

I can't spend hours watching all episodes so I'm limiting one per weekend. This way, it's going to last until 4CC...

I just finished the show, and I actually liked it. Of course, there are some "technical" flaws, but there are really interesting accurate details, and it saves some plot holes. I just can't with Kat's training outfits, it's like she's stuck in the 90's :happy0007:

Spoiler

I'm not too sensitive usually, but I actually cried when Jenn fell during her short at Regionals. 

I'm watching with one of my friends who is not a skating fan. Needless to say, she's getting a crash course in figure skating from my commentary as well. She started seeing a few pairs elements in the show and was impressed, so I made her watch S/H's free from Worlds as an example of what pairs skating can really look like. Her mind was BLOWN. She literally screamed at their twist lift. I'll have her watching FS by the end of the season yet.

Her exact quote at the throw 3S: "He just yeeted her like... twenty feet! That's insane!"

6 hours ago, river said:

I'm watching with one of my friends who is not a skating fan. Needless to say, she's getting a crash course in figure skating from my commentary as well. She started seeing a few pairs elements in the show and was impressed, so I made her watch S/H's free from Worlds as an example of what pairs skating can really look like. Her mind was BLOWN. She literally screamed at their twist lift. I'll have her watching FS by the end of the season yet.

Her exact quote at the throw 3S: "He just yeeted her like... twenty feet! That's insane!"

Is that the version with the ice scope that measures the distance flown by Sui at over 5 meters? Because that blew my mind too. 

Also, I am going to get to have to get Netflix  just to watch this show I think.