Yuzuru Hanyu Famous Quotes

I will share those that I found:

"If you cannot do it, practice until you can do it. If you can do it, then practice till you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, then practice until you can do it perfectly every time."

"I am me. I am neither greater nor less than Hanyu Yuzuru"

"Efforts do not always result in better performance. But, I don’t want any of you to hesitate on trying harder. The mere action of trying hard will benefit your lives. By putting in effort, trying hard in practices, we, as a person and as an athlete, grow to become a better person for the society."

"Failure or not depends on perspective of people. Failure is not the opposite of success, but a part of it. If you do not fail, you might not notice a lot of things."

出る杭は打たれるけど、出過ぎると誰かが引き抜いてくれるから頑張ってね

(translation posted by AprilS: "I'm pretty sure it's a take on the old proverb "The nail/stake that sticks out will be hammered down." - which pretty much translates to "if you stand out, people will try to bring you down/If you're unique or do something unique, people will try to get you to conform to everyone else." Hanyu pretty much turns this statement around by saying that if you stick out enough, someone will take notice and pick you out from the crowd (in a good way). i.e 'pull you out.")

This is not a quote from him directly but since it's featured in one of his CM (and he said it), I'll include here (I have it in my working desk to give me motivation):

'If you can't do it, practice until you can. If you can do it, practice until you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, practice until you can do it perfectly every time.'

And of course:

'Effort will lie, but will never be in vain.' <3

My sig

ETA: didn't notice it had been quoted!

I guess that's the first one that will come to people's minds when talking about Yuzuru :s_yes

I also like:

'I hate it when I’m weak. But, being weak gives me the potential to become strong.'

I love his words and most of these I found from translations online. I wish I could read or understand more Japanese for more pieces of wisdom.

"挑戦自体が僕のモチベーションをあげるためのものだと思っているので、

出来ることを出し惜しみしてやっていたらつまらないじゃないですか

それは多分一生懸命ではないんです。

どんな状況でも全力を出すというのは僕のスケーターとしての流儀。"

"Challenging situations are the (main) drivers of my motivation.

Don't you think it would be boring if I held back what I could do?

That's probably not putting everything you have (into your skating).

As a figure skater, trying to perform my very best in any situation, is what I believe in." (translated probably by yhmafan)

source in this video

Yuzuru chose the word "Live" to describe the the year 2014 for him. He said something like: "I can skate now because I was fortunate to live (after the collision). If I was hit by one tenth of a second later, I might have died. Since I am alive, I must make the most of everything. As a person and a skater, I feel lucky to have had so many experiences."

I don't even remember who translated it. Maybe http://ice-kingfisher.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -one-kanji

Yuzuru talked about the year 2014: "This year started with Olympics, I have experienced so many things. I have been through so many difficult times both mentally and physically, and it's not something everyone can experience. For example, to set up the mind to compete after winning Olympic, or that accident in CoC, that disaster in NHK, they were rare experiences. This has been a year in which I experienced so many things which most skaters don't."

Translated by perdita in Golden Skate forum.

"I’m not humble at all. I have strong desire to win. Among the athletes, I think of myself as a big mouth. Though it is nice to be yourself. There are goodness in each person, there is no one exactly the same. Ten persons have ten characteristics. I have bad characteristics as well.” -- Yuzuru replied to the question 'How to raise good children like him?'

Read full caption here: http://hanyuedits.tumblr.com/post/10554 ... pture-this

"The thought of how my life would be without the earthquake and tsunami does not occur to me. I can accept what happened. Even this is normal. Although the earthquake and tsunami was not an ordinary occurrence, I think it is very normal to step out and move forward. Because I am here in that same place I was at the time (the evacuation centre) I can think in this way. Precisely because we are alive, we survived, towards the people who lost their lives and also the people who continue to suffer even today, I strongly think that I must live in a manner that will allow me to hold my head up high." - "Yuzuru Hanyu - Memories of that day"

Source + Engtrans: nanoka12

Being an Olympic champion and such has nothing to do with it. I want to take on more challenges." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Translated by: http://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/11185 ... ampion-and

"My motto is 'To improve everyday'. Skaters’ competitive career is much shorter than in other sports. So, I would like to work hard everyday and push myself for progress every day rather than just making progress every month." - Yuzuru Hanyu

I don't remember who translated this quote though.

About Seimei: "I have slight built, so I can not play samurai, I can even play a female impersonator. However, I think I have the spirit of samurai before battle. I hope to express the delicate and powerful unique of Japanese spirit." Yuzuru about his new free skate.

When Yuzuru was asked about being called a prince, he replied: "I don't think of myself as a prince. I am a typical athlete and very hot blooded, people who know me well all think so." from

“It’s not just about the scores, I consider the score as a bonus when I skate well. I am not doing difficult things in order to get a high score, but to grow myself.” - Yuzuru Hanyu from http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/06/yuzuru-hanyu-2/

Again, not sure who translated it. I saved these quotes a long time ago.

“I work hard not because I want to be famous, but because I love figure skating and I always want to win. I am not an idol or a TV celebrity. I am an athlete, and I want that to be the core of my heart.” - Yuzuru Hanyu from https://twitter.com/mari_undeux12/statu ... 9148627968

Maybe it was Spec who translated this quote. I am not sure.

“People may think my scores are wonderful, but I feel more motivated when I hear people say they like my performance and they want to watch it again. In order to impress and move the audience, I want to continue to train hard to make sure my jumps are consistent and the overall program is a complete package. I want to give the kind of performances that stays in their hearts.” - Yuzuru Hanyu

Quote from http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/12/yuzuru-hanyu-4/

"I am going to believe in my potential and would like to do more difficult elements. I would like to be able to communicate and express a wider variety of things. I'm looking forward to next season." - Yuzuru Hanyu after WC in Boston.

Ayako Nakamura from International Yuzuru Hanyu Facebook group

Journalist : “Are you a strong person?"

Yuzuru, immediately: “No, I’m weak. I’m very, very weak. It’s because I’m weak that I need to isolate myself that much, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do this, I wouldn’t be able to take it all and go on. I think that if you are strong, whatever people say, whatever your environment is, it doesn’t matter, you can create your own self without being influenced. However, I think the reason I can’t create this own-self is because I’m weak.”

Unsure who translated it. maybe https://humango.tumblr.com/post/1425809 ... son-yuzuru

"It's lonely. But my mental and physical condition get affected by my surroundings, and I have to shut them out of myself to skate the way I want to skate. So, in some ways, I want to be lonely.”

Translated by Sweetwater

"People's expectations make me happy. It means that what I've been doing since I was a child is paying off. Since I was little, I skated to improve for a sense of accomplishment but also because I wanted to be praised. I want to do a program where I can move people as well as lay importance on how I want to perform. So I hope everyone looks forward to what I decide to do and I'll also enjoy feeling people's expectations as I prepare for next season." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Translated by Mikaboo

"It is hard to escape from the past. I could use it as a stepping stone like with the feelings of regrets from the past and present. These feeling have made me stronger in the past and will continue to make me strong. But past successes can’t necessarily be usable as a stepping stone. Only I can make it become that. No matter what kind of an environment I’m in or no matter what anyone says, this is the dream I’ve been chasing after. As it’s only myself who can think and continue with the dream so I have to challenge my limit and go beyond my limit." Yuzuru Hanyu

Translated by Mikaboo

"This thing call weak is meant to make people stronger. To be able to say ‘I am weak’ means there is this feeling that I want to become stronger. To think ‘I am strong’, it’s like it's better to just end there." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Jessie Kok's translation

"I don't give up easily. I don't think about the result of my next goal, instead, I move toward my ideal. I wanna enhance my skating." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Ingrid Ko's translation

"Even trouble can become a good opportunity." - Hanyu Yuzuru, translated by Jessie Kok

"I am basically a person who only say ‘I’m fine’. When there is any pain anywhere, I will still say ‘I’m fine’." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Jessie Kok's translation

"All will be over if you get injured. However, you cannot get scared or impatient or become passive in fear of getting injured." - Yuzuru Hanyu, Jessie Kok's translation

"A skater is both an Artist and an Athlete. I think I can’t throw away both of the souls." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Jessie Kok'a translation

"It’s ok to feel pressurized. If I overcome that, I will become stronger." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Jessie Kok's translation

"Only if I challenge, then I will gain." - Yuzuru Hanyu

Translation by Jessie Kok

"I think there is no such thing as 'the limit' or 'the strongest' program in the world. I would like to make further efforts aiming at the quality only I can achieve, the program elements only I can execute, and the expression only I can make."

Sophie Moroi's translation

"I don’t want to talk about who is my rival. I am my only rival." - Yuzuru Hanyu

From https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/au ... 2014sochi/

"To take responsibility for one's own actions. To think properly about what must do and take firm action. That is what I think an adult man should be. I think a lot about skating. I can make decisions and as I want. As a person, in many areas, I am selfish. And in many areas I am passionate. In those ways, I feel I have not grown up yet. But as a skater I will be selfish, I will be stubborn, I will always hate to lose. I don't want to change my true self." - Yuzuru replied when they asked him what being an adult man means.

Translated by Specs at Golden Skate

"Sport is very cruel. Not the hardest worker will be able to get the best results. However, if you don't work hard, you could never get succeeded. In order to get best results, we (athletes) continue having the feelings of gratitude and devoted ourselves every day in future." - Yuzuru Hanyu said in Kozuki sport award. Don't remember who translated this.

"Failure or not depends on perspective of people. Failure is not the opposite of success, but a part of it. If you do not fail, you might not notice a lot of things. To skate a program, even one thing won’t be wasted.” -- Yuzuru Hanyu from http://hanyyuzu.tumblr.com/post/1149459 ... -of-people

"My motto is 'To improve everyday'. Skaters’ competitive career is much shorter than in other sports. So, I would like to work hard everyday and push myself for progress every day rather than just making progress every month." - Yuzuru Hanyu, not remember who translated this.

"My motto is 'To improve everyday'. Skaters’ competitive career is much shorter than in other sports. So, I would like to work hard everyday and push myself for progress every day rather than just making progress every month." - Yuzuru Hanyu, not remember who translated this.

"For me, an athlete equals to an Olympian, an Olympic gold medalist. When I was around five-years-old, I already seriously thought about winning the gold medal at the Olympics. But what made me want the Olympic title strongly was the battle between Yagudin and Plushenko at 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics." - Yuzuru Hanyu replied ISU interview

Wow, seeing all these quotes collected in the same place really drives home how wondrous his mind is. I think I remember where a couple of the unsourced ones are from, and I tried to dig up the others, here goes:

Yuzuru chose the word "Live" to describe the the year 2014 for him. He said something like: "I can skate now because I was fortunate to live (after the collision). If I was hit by one tenth of a second later, I might have died. Since I am alive, I must make the most of everything. As a person and a skater, I feel lucky to have had so many experiences."

The source for this seems to be ice-kingfisher's tumblr (link no longer valid but there are reposts)

When Yuzuru was asked about being called a prince, he replied: "I don't think of myself as a prince. I am a typical athlete and very hot blooded, people who know me well all think so."

The source of the quote might be

(a translation here but not the quoted version)

“It’s not just about the scores, I consider the score as a bonus when I skate well. I am not doing difficult things in order to get a high score, but to grow myself.” - Yuzuru Hanyu

From this GS article from June 2015

Journalist : “Are you a strong person?"

Yuzuru, immediately: “No, I’m weak. I’m very, very weak. It’s because I’m weak that I need to isolate myself that much, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do this, I wouldn’t be able to take it all and go on. I think that if you are strong, whatever people say, whatever your environment is, it doesn’t matter, you can create your own self without being influenced. However, I think the reason I can’t create this own-self is because I’m weak.”

Unsure who translated it.

This is from the Apr 2016 Jounetsu Tairiku, and the translation is probably from humango's tumblr.

“I work hard not because I want to be famous, but because I love figure skating and I always want to win. I am not an idol or a TV celebrity. I am an athlete, and I want that to be the core of my heart.” - Yuzuru Hanyu

This translation is also on the Yuzuru Hanyu Vietnamese Fanpage (I don't know if it's originally from there) , alternative translation in ycmafan's post on the Yuzuru FF @ GS quotes this sanspo article as the source

"Failure or not depends on perspective of people. Failure is not the opposite of success, but a part of it. If you do not fail, you might not notice a lot of things. To skate a program, even one thing won’t be wasted.” -- Yuzuru Hanyu, also do not remember who translated this

The translation is from hanyyuzu's tumblr post which gives this sanspo article as a source