Satellite Identification at Competitions - would a badge be a good idea?

Hi satellites. 

This has been on my mind for a while:

I love meeting other satellites at competitions when I have the chance to attend. However, one thing that repeatedly happens to me is that I can't keep names and faces straight - neither people's Planet handles, nor their real names. It's really embarrassing to have to keep asking people their names over and over again! :headdesk2:

I've also noticed that sometimes it's just awkward to introduce yourself by Planet name, and of course no one knows your real name at first so it means nothing to others.

With all that in mind, I was thinking that it would be nice to have a pin badge specifically for satellites, so we can recognize each other and not have to keep re-introducing ourselves all the time. 

The design I have in mind would have blank white spaces where people could write in their real/preferred names and their Planet nicknames, and include some graphic that's obviously associated with the Planet. 

If there's enough interest, I can get it done. I've done some preliminary pricing and I think I could get something suitable for well under $3 CDN/pin. 

Thoughts? Discussion? Worst idea you ever heard, or briliant plan? 

I love it. I'm terrible with names - it's a struggle for me to learn anyone's real name. I've met some of the people on here twice and I'm still not totally sure what everyone's name is!

Although at ACI, I learned that I respond just as well to being called river as I do my own name. Not sure what that says about the amount of time I spend on here.

9 minutes ago, river said:

I love it. I'm terrible with names - it's a struggle for me to learn anyone's real name. I've met some of the people on here twice and I'm still not totally sure what everyone's name is!

Although at ACI, I learned that I respond just as well to being called river as I do my own name. Not sure what that says about the amount of time I spend on here.

I personally am starting to wonder about myself, given how well I've taken to being called 'Rockstar' :umm:

14 hours ago, river said:

I’m the opposite haha. I respond much better to my real name, and I remember most of the satellites I met at SCI by faces and real names and not your Planet names. 

I’m for the pins! Also, really like that it’ll be a reusable pin that we can take to competitions rather than just a sticker I’ll probably lose Day 1 of any comp I attend. 

5 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

Terrific idea. I was actually thinking of having a button made with my Planet avatar on it. (And I still may do that.) But buttons with our PH names and our real names would be more helpful. Count me in.

Using avatars is a fun idea in itself, although your avatar is VERY specific though. A lot of people use the default one and that wouldn't help much. 

Being really bad not only at recognizing faces but also remembering names for more than a split second after hearing them, I support the idea!

(and I am lucky enough that everything with the "L" sound is good to get my attention lmao I don't mind using Planet name instead of real name lol)

Yes, count me in as well! I am terrible with names up to the point it is frustrating for the others. Like I hear someone introduce himself and when we shake hands I don't remember the name already. :13877886:

I will probably prefer the PH nickname, because pronouncing my name is a little nightmare for many languages and it is longer than needed in everyday conversation, but I don't mind showing both. I am just happy I can join the Poohrino party. :7938863:

• 2 months later...