Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎

WinForPooh

Is there something we can do about this? If nothing is done the momentum will be lost again and ISU will pretend nothing happened. Heck I don't even know if they know about what Yuzu said, considering no English site had picked up the translation yet. We need to get media attention so that ISU can't ignore this and hurt skaters anymore... 

Can we write an Op-Ed for New York Times? An Open Letter? An article exposing the missteps in scoring so to expose the shameful practice to people outside of figure skating? Send it to PJ Kwong? Write an article on Medium? Publish as news on GoldenSkate? Intheloop podcast? Rockerskating? I don't see any reason why ISU will change unless it affects their reputation and pockets.... Some platforms require some credentials, if we send the article to PJ Kwong will she help us make the issue known? 

A list of potential publications

List of Youtube channels that had made videos about figure skating 

• Vox
  • Wall Street Journal
  • New York Times
  • Wired
  • Quartz

New York Times

They wrote quite a few article about skating before, some favourable to Yuzu

Vice (who knows they might even make a video about it?) 

Spoiler

How to Write for Vice

A global media channel that offers on investigative journalism features and enlightening videos an array of controversial topics world news, travel, art, drugs, politics, sports, fashion, sex, and super cute animals. Sections include News, Music, Travel, Health, Impact, Tech, and NSFW. All editorial pitches should be sent to [email protected]

Vice is a rapidly expanding publication that covers a range of different topics across each of their main channels. They have general current affairs/politics covered on their main Vice channel, technology usually lives on Motherboard, art and film are discussed on Creators and they have Vice Sports that covers sports (duh!). There are another 10 or so channels (at the time of writing) that span across even more topics than this, making Vice a hyper-relevant publication for most writers.

One thing to note with Vice is that they're particularly interested in quite obscure takes on a story. Most of their content has an interesting angle to it (or is just plain bizzare), for example, "Inside the Online Community Where People Are Mean to Breakfast Foods" and "We Went to a Cuddle Party on MDMA". Bear this in mind when pitching ideas.

In order to be able to write for Vice, you should follow these guidelines:

1. Send either a pitch or a full draft f your article to [email protected]. Don't send pitches directly to editors or they'll mark your email address as spam.
  2. If you're submitting photography, as opposed to a full write-up, send the pitch and imagery to [email protected].
  3. If it's a video that you're pitching in, send it to [email protected], along with some background information.
  4. Avoid pitching any of these weird things to Vice.

BuzzFeedNews

Apparently they uncovered some tennis betting scandal, they seem to be into investigative journalism

Spoiler

How to Write for BuzzFeed

People often write-off BuzzFeed as a legitimate publisher but those people couldn't be more wrong. Just take the investment that they've been making into investigative journalism as an example - that alone has resulted in some incredible pieces of journalism like the tennis betting scandal they uncovered.

On top of all of this, they've built an unstoppable viral engine that spans way outside of listicles of cat memes. I previously wrote about my experience of being featured on the front page of BuzzFeed so I can tell you from experience how much traffic links from the site can generate.

There are two ways that you can go about getting an article published in BuzzFeed. The first is through submitting to the community section - here's how:

1. Create a free BuzzFeed account (if you don’t have one already) by clicking here and following the instructions on the page.
  2. Once you’ve created your account, navigate to your profile and click on the option to create a new post.
  3. Create your new article using BuzzFeed’s post editing tool. It’s really easy to use so just go ahead and choose the type of post you want to create and add in the content. If you’re making a quiz then you may want to check out this quick tutorial.
  4. Once you’ve finished and you’re happy to go live, tick the box on the right that says “Suggest for a community feature” (very important!) and then press “Publish Now”.

It's as simple as that. You'll receive an email within 48 hours to let you know if it's been promoted for a community feature. If it does well within the community then it will get bumped up for a category feature, then from there it can be bumped onto the homepage.

The second way is to pitch an idea directly to BuzzFeed staff:

• Each topic within BuzzFeed has an individual pitch email. For lifestyle content pitches you can send your pitch to [email protected].
  • Send along a few clear, concise paragraphs that outlines your idea, what the general structure will be, and why the readers will enjoy it.
  • Make sure that you don't try and reinvent the wheel here - stick to the tried and tested BuzzFeed format but try to find a unique angle for the story.

Here are some examples of pitches that successfully went through the pitch team:

Huff Post

Spoiler

How to Write for The Huffington Post

Most of you reading this will be familiar with The Huffington Post. It's a great site to become an ongoing contributor to because of the fact that it covers such a broad range of topics. Also, if your article hits the main blog - as opposed to the contributor section - you'll be in for some big traffic.

Here's how you can get an article published in The Huffington Post:

• HuffPo has an official pitch form that you can use to submit your content idea. If you go down this route you'll need to submit the full first draft of your post via this form.
  • The first draft that you submit has to be between 500 and 1,000 words in length.
  • You'll also need to supply a bio of yourself - try to showcase your knowledge on the topic you're pitching here.
  • Make sure that the topic is relevant to a topic that they regularly publish content on.
  • A second option that you'll probably get better results from is to pitch your idea directly to the editor of the topic that you're content falls under. To do this, first you'll want to find the right person from this list and then you'll need to get their email address. Most of the email addresses at HuffPo follow the pattern of [email protected].
  • Alongside email individuals, you can send an email through to the topic editors. The email addresses for these follow the pattern of [email protected], for example, "[email protected]".
  • As well as all of the above, you can reach out to individual editors on Twitter by finding the topic Twitter account and looking at the bio to see who manages it. Then all you need to do is drop them a tweet. An example is with @HuffPostScience or @HuffPostTravel.

others

Spoiler

Washington Post, CNN, Guardian, Quartz

Wall Street Journal

Vox
An online news source that features data journalism, breaking news analyses, fact run-downs and more. Vox provides context for sound bytes, trends and other viral topics, as well as a platform for topically relevant think pieces and opinion. Submit your story pitch to Christopher Shea, Senior Editor of Perspectives; find his information here.  

An online news source focusing on multimedia, cyberspace, cutting edge technologies, high definition television, virtual reality and the electronic frontier. WIRED centers on the culture, business, politics and personalities that surround such technologies and push them forward to the 21st century. Submit your op-ed pitch to [email protected]

10 minutes ago, Salior said:

Is there something we can do about this? If nothing is done the momentum will be lost again and ISU will pretend nothing happened. Heck I don't even know if they know about what Yuzu said, considering no English site had picked up the translation yet. We need to get media attention so that ISU can't ignore this and hurt skaters anymore... 

Can we write an Op-Ed for New York Times? An Open Letter? An article exposing the missteps in scoring so to expose the shameful practice to people outside of figure skating? Send it to PJ Kwong? Write an article on Medium? I don't see any reason why ISU will change unless it affects their reputation and pockets.... 

A list of potential publications

New York Times

Vice A global media channel that offers on investigative journalism features and enlightening videos an array of controversial topics world news, travel, art, drugs, politics, sports, fashion, sex, and super cute animals. Sections include News, Music, Travel, Health, Impact, Tech, and NSFW. All editorial pitches should be sent to [email protected]

Hide contents

Washington Post, CNN, Guardian,  

Vox
An online news source that features data journalism, breaking news analyses, fact run-downs and more. Vox provides context for sound bytes, trends and other viral topics, as well as a platform for topically relevant think pieces and opinion. Submit your story pitch to Christopher Shea, Senior Editor of Perspectives; find his information here.  

An online news source focusing on multimedia, cyberspace, cutting edge technologies, high definition television, virtual reality and the electronic frontier. WIRED centers on the culture, business, politics and personalities that surround such technologies and push them forward to the 21st century. Submit your op-ed pitch to [email protected]

I think FS is so hard to understand that it would be hard to get mainstream media interested in it. Unfairness exists in every sport and unless it's the Olympics, most people aren't even watching. And when they do, they just assume FS is biased anyway so it wouldn't be anything new to them.

Even when you prove things with statistics like @shanshani did, most people just say "Well we knew that already" or "nothing can be done." No powers that be seem to think these things are worth changing.

33 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think FS is so hard to understand that it would be hard to get mainstream media interested in it. Unfairness exists in every sport and unless it's the Olympics, most people aren't even watching. And when they do, they just assume FS is biased anyway so it wouldn't be anything new to them.

Even when you prove things with statistics like @shanshani did, most people just say "Well we knew that already" or "nothing can be done." No powers that be seem to think these things are worth changing.

It didn't stop people from trying, and I suspect a "scoring scandal" might be quite a spicy scoop for them, such that they'll get resources to help and conduct more investigation, or publish shanshani's data maybe? If we have proof and these people see potential, I'd say they'd make a spin out of it such that ISU can't ignore them. Especially now that ISU wants to make that award replacing gala, reputation will be important for them. 

I think what we need to do isn't to write something complete and hand over, but maybe just to alert them of this topic, provide them with people or data that they can interview and work with (like shanshani, fair skating union, chib as a figure skater), and they can take it from there? 

they're perfectly capable of making diagrams and stuff to explain when they want to 

Spoiler

Spoiler

hjkjc7.png

ogozq0.png

Edit: lol even Economist had an article on figure skating "unfairness" 

Mainstream media only care about FS during Olys and scoring is one of the last thing. They only focus on drama, rivalry and their own skater's chance. I saw on twitter a fan edit several TV news clip to this interview's structure so this was recorded and  seem like Olympic channel was there as well. But in the end, only 2 media platform publish the whole thing while most TV/OG channel pick up much softer stuff. I think it tell you everything about what media want to report. They would rather publish multiples artcile and clips about his sbs 4T with Trusova (don't get me wrong, its cute) but won't cover a great/depth talk about sport from a 2 times OGM. That's the way media work these days for you. 

I feel that fans should be careful to use this interview in any FS argument. After all from start to finish, Yuzuru repeated multiple times its his opinion, he didn't attack anyone or the system

12 minutes ago, Katt said:

Mainstream media only care about FS during Olys and scoring is one of the last thing. They only focus on drama, rivalry and their own skater's chance. I saw on twitter a fan edit several TV news clip to this interview's structure so this was recorded and  seem like Olympic channel was there as well. But in the end, only 2 media platform publish the whole thing while most TV/OG channel pick up much softer stuff. I think it tell you everything about what media want to report. They would rather publish multiples artcile and clips about his sbs 4T with Trusova (don't get me wrong, its cute) but won't cover a great/depth talk about sport from a 2 times OGM. That's the way media work these days for you. 

I feel that fans should be careful to use this interview in any FS argument. After all from start to finish, Yuzuru repeated multiple times its his opinion, he didn't attack anyone or the system

yea the idea is not to attack anyone, but take the opportunity to highlight inconsistencies in scoring 

welp I guess I underestimated the effects of Olympics on these, looks like all those videos were published close to the Olympics

although for other sites like buzzfeednews, maybe a narrative of unfairness for a generation of girls investing time and money only to be shortchanged by people taking advantage of loose rules will be interesting for them... that'll be more relevant to the ladies which the issue is more pronounced, but if changes were made men would probably benefit from it too 

I wonder if olympic channel will post the other parts of the interview. Although they said this is the "full" interview (with the wrong link on top of that). I mean if they have this much they have the other parts as well right?

On 10/28/2019 at 8:12 PM, caterpillar said:

Reading this makes me so mad. This is the problem when people say than over-/underscoring isn’t a big deal. It’s not just about the way it keeps rewarded skaters from developing their weak points, or the concrete loss of confidence, exposure and opportunities, even though all of those factors are certainly bad enough. 

It stagnates the sport in all areas except one. Not to be dramatic, but we’ll never know what beautiful transitions and creative entries we might have had right now across the field if all innovation and quality was appropriately rewarded. While skaters might stick to choreographically easier layouts, I’m sure many skaters would challenge themselves more if they felt it was worth it. Right now, though, it generally just isn’t. To think that the judging almost made Yuzu feel he was forced to compromise one of the most unique and remarkable parts of his skating is disgusting, it makes me want to punch something. 

He feels he's on the right track now because his steps and transitions have been rewarded, as opposed to some other competitions, where they weren't. I think the issue will come back again when even if his efforts in putting transitions in his programs will be rewarded, those skaters with less transitions/steps before jumps will be rewarded just as much. It's not enough for him to be rewarded positively for his efforts, he must also be rewarded comparatively to what other skaters do. For example, it's not enough that his sandwich twizzle 3A gets +5GOE, if another 3A that is less difficult in terms of entry/exit gets the same score.

We studied about competition in law and economics, and it struck me how "monopoly" often degrades the quality of service, because there's no way of replacing organisations with shitty behaviour. ISU can be as shit as they want and there'll be no alternative so people are stuck with them. Really sucks to be like this. 

Also I've asked Jack if the article can be translated into English... I know he's controversial but I just want this article to be translated and he seems like the best bet now... 

We are going to see how the scoring trend will be this competition. But, it is impossible for judges to suddenly move on to score Quadster (or those skaters who perform difficult jump rather than quality jump) appropriately when it has become like this. It will obviously show the unfairness of judging.

What might be possible in the near future is:

a. Yuzuru will be rewarded with high GOE due to quality and difficulty of his transitions, but others like Nathan and Shoma who does quad jump with higher BV will also be rewarded for GOE just because they challenge those jumps.
b. Yuzuru will be rewarded with higher GOE, while Nathan and Shoma will have the average GOE that they are having currently.
c. The GOE rewards, I think, will not be applied appropriately to other skaters. These skaters have to maintain certain quality in their performances for years first (which Yuzuru has been well-noted for: textbook jump technique, transition in and out). Other skaters who have quality and transition etc might not be as well-rewarded, just because they have not develop that reputation yet, and therefore, judges can just pretend it is not present. 
d. Optimistically speaking, the initial great impression judges get from male skaters with difficult jumps has stabilized, and they start seeing it as "well, it is difficult jump, but it does not look good at all", so the GOE will start to reflect that. But it will not be. 

e. Judges are still in awe with female skaters who can do the quads, so the scoring will reflect that. 

This is all assuming that the feds do not work under the table so their skaters can win.